Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Voytek Nowakowski

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #16
Very nice one, but how does this fit in to this Space Opera theme?

Old 10 October 2004   #17
you must be very confident in your transition into digital painting. your oil work is amazing, and the skillbase of so many years of oilwork is very obvious in this piece. keep it coming, but youre obviously having no trouble ploughing through your ideas.
best of luck
Pete

Old 10 October 2004   #18
Peddy : Thanks for the kind words. And thanks for visiting my site

Petri.J : How does it not relate? It is a lost civilization, somewhere in our universe. Does every piece have to show a battle or some kind of war? Does it have to include vehicles, heros or other persons? Does it have to be largly mechanical, robotic or typical sci-fi?

My work is simply a portait of space colony on the verge of extinction because of conflict. What you see here is not war, but the effects after it. This is a civilization that will leave behind its footprints and create legends for future entities.

-Voytek

Last edited by Voytek : 10 October 2004 at 10:08 AM.

Old 11 November 2004   #19
Im following that thread from the beggining, not knowing what will come out exactly... till now. I must say that I agree with Peddy, u r a great artist who knows how to build a picture from the start to the end. Lots of action is going on in ur piece and colors r right chosen for that chaotic moment. A really nice piece!

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #20
Coloring WIP: An Update Finally

Hey everyone,

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a long time. I have been busy. Here is an updated image, with some improvements. I am still working out ideas in my colouring stages.

Oh and I would like to thank everyone for their comments so far :)

Old 11 November 2004   #21
Beautiful work, Voytek. It really is improving compared to your first posts. I must confess that I didn't make much of it when I first saw your work, but now...it's amazing! The darkening of some parts worked out great. The only thing that doesn't work so well (everything else is great), is the top part of the image and some of the fumes. Somehow that part of the image looks confusing and the only thing I can focus on is the pyramid and that structure far in the back. I think that perhaps you could drop some of those elements (fumes and the stalactites) to give those structures more space to "breathe". And that white lightray doesn't help at all.

Great work...

Old 11 November 2004   #22
Sir! I'm speechless. Very powerfull rendering. Goodluck to you!

Visit my online portfolio

Old 11 November 2004   #23
Coloring WIP: Organic Elements

Adding some more organic elements to the piece.

Old 11 November 2004   #24
Thanks alot andreasrocha and Atmospheria. I took your advice and started getting rid of that light beam. I also did some more to the top of it. Hope you like the improvements.

Old 11 November 2004   #25
Hey, beautiful image. Plenty of imagination and detail in this... There's a lot to look at but it still seems empty or deserted. Are you going to add some big event to this scene? If not, how does this fit the contest? I've looked at alot of entries so far and have found that alot of people are missing the contest criteria. Dont get me wrong, your painting is fantastic, it just doesnt seem like much is happening. I may be wrong and you may have intended to add some sort of huge conflict or moment in history to this, but your concepts dont show it? Nice work though by any standards

Old 12 December 2004   #26
Coloring WIP: Near Final

Clearing up the composition. This is close to final colouring. Distant background is still not final though.

Old 12 December 2004   #27
Thumbs up

I kinda agree with Jezz (I feel like a hypocrite saying that cuz mine doesn’t exactly fit too well either.) It would be awesome if you could fit a character in the bottom right corner on a platform or landmass that is close in view or FG. I love your color scheme.

Old 12 December 2004   #28
Great stuff...

I think if you could better define the towers in the foreground so that you can separate them from the cliff infront of the pyramid / temple then the image would read better. It's a little muddy right now in regards to lighting.

Nice work to this point!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 12 December 2004   #29
Very Eerie, need some lighting in the foreground a bit.

Old 12 December 2004   #30
Amazing stuff! The coloring is just great! The only thing I can think of is that if you added some people running arround in panic, it could highten the drama of your piece, as well as reinforce the idea of a colony in decay.

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

Thread Closed share thread