Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
re- first bit of line drawing

I should clarify- this is the lower shadowey part beneath the girl- part of the robot junkyard, not an entirely new picture. I cropped it down to just what I was working on to save space.

11 November 2004
One of the robots looks like an earlier concept of SeeThreepio (C3PO)...looking very good. I specially like the box-like robot below to the right. Very retro.

11 November 2004
wow, the detail's looking really good - can't wait to see the rest of this as a line drawing.

11 November 2004
Line Art: drawing WIP

I don't know about the rest of you, but I get real uncomfortable showing stuff in progress- it's so...not done. This one is a further develpment of the drawing- not exactly "lineart", but a drawing nonetheless.
I will be tightening everything up, like the city for instance, and the values are off but will be fixed to be like the concept.
Can't wait to get onto painting!

11 November 2004
Wow! I can already tell that this we will be great! The composition is really powerfull. This is going to be emotive piece.

11 November 2004
Emotional and real good stuff.Maybe not finished,but still real good,I like the idea alot.

11 November 2004
Once again, I love the design and composition. But what I noticed with the new ones is that they no longer have a light to dark progress from the top to the bottom of the composition. I really like this effect in the previous concepts, but the new revision works well with me. Amazing work, congrates!

11 November 2004
Your work is developing well. The detail is really cool. The city looks really good.

Can't wait to see this in colour, will make so much difference... should be a very powerful piece.

11 November 2004
Beautiful sketches !!!
I wonder what kind of colors you'll put on it.
Keep on !

12 December 2004
Coloring WIP: 1st color comp

Here's my first shot at the color, I'd love feedback.

12 December 2004
great idea and composition man ! keep up the good work

12 December 2004
this is looking promising - don't know if it is intentional, but the style of your colouring wip is appealing

12 December 2004
That's looking great, Eric! I knew your piece would shine when it came to the colors... Er, not that it wasn't before the colors, but I know that you are good at the painting part. Anyhow, overall, it looks really nice.

The one area that doesn't work for me as well as the rest is the piece of machinery (or is it a building or a downed ship?) up and to the left from the girl. It's the hue: Everything else in the piece (not counting the sky) is in the purplish-brown-yellowish ares of the palette, and this one object sticks out as being more greenish-blueish and not tied to the rest of the piece. Bringing in the dark purples from the lower left of the painting would tie it in more, but then, it might bring that object more into the foreground than you want. A softer purple, something similar to the main background color but darker to bring it forward, could also work. But anyhow, just small ideas - overall the piece looks wonderful!

-mike

12 December 2004
Niorger- Very much appreciated, thanks!
Bolchover-I'd say it's "mostly" intentional, but it's also a rough so hopefully I don't lose what you're responding to in the finish.

Walrus- What do you think of this- the background is supposed to be far away, so maybe if there were a clearer cutoff the color would work better. I'm not completely happy with the foreground colors, I do however like the blue/green metal piece directly behind the girl. I think what happened is that I wanted a more sunny daylight feel and was seduced by the glow brush into warm sunrise instead. Then after strangling it a bit I got warm mud. Somehow I want the girl to be the warmest spot, and the metal of the junk to still be warm while retaining a metallic feel. Sounds like a contradiction but I think I can do it.

So if I redo the foreground and use less warm earthtones I bet I can tie in the background a little more effectively. Suffice to say I'm taking your comments to heart- thanks!

12 December 2004
You'd love feedback? Now you're gonna get some. Your first colors are amazing! This looks very promising indeed. I agree with Walrus, the background looks a bit off, but then again it is the contrast with the background colors that makes the girl stand out. What you are suggesting might work, to turn the scrappile a bit more blue. That thing behind the girl looks a bit distracting. Perhaps you should rethink its form, or make it interact more with the object the girl is standing on. The dark area in the front is just perfect. You have to keep it in those colors. And that bluish shine to the right is great, too.

Can't wait for your further development of this piece.

Last edited by andreasrocha : 12 December 2004 at 06:02 PM.

Thread Closed share thread