Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #46
Try it with the large ship in the background mirrored. I think it'll create a nice diagonal pointing towards the child. Right now all of your diagonals go from top right to bottom left, drawing your attention away from the kid.

It may work ... if not you can always flip it back.

Old 11 November 2004   #47
Wow Kirt- that never even occurred to me! I just went and tried it- I think you hit on something, I'll post it later as soon as I have a moment.

Thanks a lot!

Old 11 November 2004   #48
Concept Sketch: one more change

Here's the same image with the ship reversed- I really like it this way, it helps helps the "flow" of it a lot I think. I could go on and on but I think I'll run with it. Thanks Kirt for the direction!

Old 11 November 2004   #49
That was a great idea to flip the bg. It transforms it. Every time I see this thumbnail on the view entries page it strikes me as one of the ones with the most potential, it works so well small that I'm sure it'll be utterly captivating when detailed out. Way to go, I'm loving it!

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11 November 2004   #50
What more is there to say?? Yet again I'm impressed - very good work, I hope you find final concept soon, as it would be great to see this idea ddevelop into a final piece.

Old 11 November 2004   #51
Said one character actor to the other, "Who was that masked man?"

Glad I could help. It does look much better this way. Keep on rendering ... it's looking good!

Old 11 November 2004   #52
Speaky-
There's a "view entries page"?!

I'm glad there wasn't an I.Q. portion to this challenge.

Old 11 November 2004   #53
hello, your latest sketch caught my eye - looks exciting, and compositionally very strong.

Old 11 November 2004   #54
Looking good ebrowing!

Dont' forget that expression that'll breeth life into the character thus bringing everything together.

Good Luck.

Old 11 November 2004   #55
Eric -

Hey, just dropping in after you posted on my thread. I do remember you from the old Shane's Board, you went by 'RCP' back there (or 'RPC?') Good to see you still doing beautiful stuff. This is looking great so far, and watching the progression, it just keeps getting stronger. I love the focus on the girl to really bring the human element into the illo. I'm just going to toss out a little idea, to take or leave: Have you thought about emphasizing even more the upper-left to lower-right diagonal to draw more attention to the character? It may not need it at all, its not like you want to take away from the giant robot in the background, and it's not like you aren't already doing a masterful job with the values to draw attention... I was just wondering how it would look with a building or two on the strong slant, up-L to lowe-R, or maybe some sunbeams or rays of light? Anyhow, like I said, just a random idea. No matter what, though, your piece is looking great and I can't wait to see the great colors you use for it.

Take care and good luck!

-mike

Old 11 November 2004   #56
Hey Walrus-
Yep, it was "RPC", I looked it up last night. I should just use that everywhere, like you do. Great memory!
I will definitely try your suggestion, I was toying with the idea of sunbeams (while tracing over my sketch the values gave the illusion of sun hitting the girl and it looked nice); also I'm still working out the city so I will try that out.

Rares-
As far as the expression, I will shoot photo reference of the girl (convieniently I have children), and I'm going to do one where it's a profile, and another where she's looking toward the viewer and with her eyes looking over her shoulder- this last one might give it a tension that would change the whole look of the picture- I'll probably post two versions to get feedback.

Bolchover- thanks for the compliment!

Old 11 November 2004   #57
Common, don't keep us waiting so long... show us more!

Old 11 November 2004   #58
coCoKNIght-
That's high praise, man! Thanks!
I am working on the drawing now- since my "work window" is a narrow one late at night, it goes slow sometimes. I'll post an update this week.

Old 11 November 2004   #59
Yuhuuuuu!!

Old 11 November 2004   #60
Line Art: first drawing section

Apologies to coCoKNIght- but here's my first bit of the line art milestone. I'm working in line and some value at the same time, I'm thinking if I make some of those decisions now it can only help when I get to the painting, since my overall values are decided already. I work with a soft pencil on (analog) paper. I'll keep doing bits and assembling them on the computer, I lack the patience to do the complete drawing without scanning it and tweaking to see how it's going.

Thread Closed share thread