Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
That's a much better composition - look forward to seeing the details of the city etc. - this concept ROCKS!

11 November 2004
OMG! I love the composition, totally breath taking, this concept is just screaming storylines left right and center. Great job. The details will be a little tricky, but I bet you have a very good idea of what to do.

Keep up the awsome work!

11 November 2004
I see you now have a foreground, midground and background in one composition. I personally think the midground shouldn't be as detail compare to the foreground and background. Overpowering that may lose focus on that connection between the little girl and the gigantic robot. But then again it may not be such an issue once colour is put in its place. The little girl shifted to the right works well. Great work! Looking forward to your next development.

11 November 2004
lookin' good...lookin' very good

The girl shift certainly worked out fine. The only thing I would suggest is to make the picture a bit wider so the eye can rest a bit on the several "grounds" of the image. It seems a bit narrow now.

Another suggestion would be to introduce more sky in the back, by lowering the spaceship a bit.

Can't wait for the coloring stage.

Keep it up!

11 November 2004
wow this is a great idea, i have a feeling not many people thought to include kids! you've managed to make the figure very evocative, emotionally. your recent composition is strong, and i can't wait to see how this will look with color! are you planning to color it? and if so, have any ides about the possible scheme yet? good luck!

11 November 2004
Hillartsympho-
Yep, it'll be in color. I'm trying to limit how many elements I'm working on at once. Once I get to the drawing, I'll be free to try out a few different treatments. I do have an idea of where I want to take it, we'll see if it works.

andreasrocha-
I will DEFINITELY think about widening it- especially if I lower the spaceship (so as to keep the mass of it there). One concern I've been having is that while I really like this oddball ratio, it forces me to zoom out just to see it. That means it won't be read as quickly by people simply because it won't fit on screen. So I'm thinkin' about it. Thanks!

ecura-
I think you're onto something- I'm going to have to do a lot of juggling to get all of this information to settle into a cohesive image. I believe I can do it but we'll see. One more thing I'm going to do is break up the horizontal line of the city, so that there isn't quite such a sharp division between fore/middle/back.

I'll put up another version (hopefully the last for the concept) soon.

11 November 2004
The characters in the forground look like those forgotten by a civilization which looms so large above them. Great use of scale and point of view (camera angle?). Good work!

Gord MacDonald

11 November 2004
Very Cool... it's similar to my idea (but completely different).. i love the imagry you have created... very "grand". I'll post mine when i get permission.

cheers

11 November 2004
Congratulations, this has the potential to be absolutley stunning. It already shows so much emotion drawing you into it...............which all great art does.

Well done

Paul

11 November 2004
So far this one has the biggest impact on me (even in b&w), can't wait to see it in color,it's got an Iron Giant vibe to it.

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: concept update

Okay, on this one I widened the image and lowered the ship, I like that it gives me more space to show the robot "mass burial", and I now have room for sky and a moon, two elements I had to let go of earlier. I also broke the horiszontal line of the city, and I think I have a better flow now from front to back, but I would REALLY appreciate anyone's opinion at this point. I'm not sure if I like this one simply because it's different or if I actually made some good choices. Thanks for looking!

11 November 2004
noelt, Paul, wibvisual and gordonm- thanks for the kind words, they make a big difference at 12:30 AM.

11 November 2004
Really nice sketches Ebrowning!
Love the idea of the kid and I as a dad also Am also working on a pic with kids.
All those heroes out in space were a kid once!!!
I thought and this i s just an idea like many others of course(sorry I'm dutch/french and so my english late at night su**s :-) )
that maybe it could be cool if there is some action with the kid.Something like the kid climbing on this kind of island with a happy,asking expression on his face,just because there is a butterfly(for exemple) sitting out there.
Well,sorry that's just because your image really inspires me and so makes my imagination flow.
Anyway looking forward to see set up this in painter!
Later;-)

11 November 2004
Just dropping by to say I like your concept,really a nice perspective and idea.......keep at it strong,it's quite interesting and already real nice.......

11 November 2004
Okmer-
Thanks- I actually will have her doing something, but something small. I have kids too, and I love the quiet moments where they are focused on something tiny even if something big is nearby. I saw your entry- a subject near and dear to my heart, "coming home from work". I know my kids would prefer we lived in a tree with a flying car.

Virtuoso-
Thanks a lot! I've been eagerly following your piece, so I really appreciate the encouragement. So when DO we get to see the next step in your pirate piece??

Thread Closed share thread