CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 01-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #61
Falcorr
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Juha Kämäräinen
Graphic artist
Vantaa, Finland

I love the new city

But its upto you will you share the picture with the blue man and the enviroment.

If you want to show more of the world were princess Ruu lives keep the new square one. Btw square usually intimades lots of people. Dunno why, but i usually goes like that.

Well the previous version had an advantage about the characters. Blue guy was above all the characters expect princess Ruu. So it almost feels like he has no power off influence for Ruu, but he regards all the others as puppets.

Just regard the new compositional issue as measure of the importancy of the blue evil guy.
Do as you feel like! Dont listen to me

Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #62
PatrickJensen
pixel pusher

portfolio
Patrick Jensen
Visual Development Artist
DreamWorks Animation
Redwood City, USA

Hey Rob,

I agree that your movie poster aspect ratio did more for the piece than the square one. To me, it's looking more cluttered now, which is mainly due to the extension of the city which is competing in values with your main girl. That would probably get fixed and work well...but I still think you should reconsider the poster ratio. The variety of shapes and silhouettes that you get are definitely more interesting than wandering around the square pic.

Just thought I'd through out an opinioin, and add that I really enjoy your work and photography, truly. Thanks for the inspiration.

- Jensen

Old 01-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #63
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

Good progression, i like this image, especcially the paint of the characters, good work

Old 01-06-2005, 05:32 PM   #64
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I think I might be able to remedy that by moving the ring contruct higher, and adding 1/3 to the top of the image--that'll restore the movie poster aspect ratio. Sounds good in words, but I gotta test it out tomorrow when I wake up. Gotta get some sleep now.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:31 AM   #65
ArtisticVisions
A Celshaded Reality

portfolio
Jason
USA

Just came across your image while browsing Recent Entries (while one of my scenes currently renders...); didn't realize it was yours when I clicked on it, Lunatique.

Love the composition and designs; really very little, if nothing, to critique about it. If I had to change anything on it, I might increase the height of the image and put the Space elements (planet, spacecraft, etc.) higher.

EDIT: Never mind: didn't read your last post.

Last edited by ArtisticVisions : 01-07-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 06:40 AM   #66
ecura
Frequenter

portfolio
Eric Truong
Sydney, Australia

Given these two options I personally would go for a stronger composition. Seeing the view in a different perspective often tells a better story and is more interesting to read. Adding details to the mid and background would be a quick way around if you are running short on time but that is still going to be flat. The more details you add, the more complex your image will be, as a result you may end up losing the story you want to convey. You have such fantastic illustration and design skill, and with that ability I'm sure you could push it further from what is now a great looking work to something the will blow us away. So far great work anyway.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #67
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Coloring WIP: Tellurian Sky (color WIP)

I've added 1/3 to the top, which reverts it back to the movie poster aspect ratio. More of the ring construct is showing now, and I've moved the palace a bit, resized the enemy commander a bit, and added a few more armoured ex0-troopers. I think I'm getting close to the point where I'll start painting it. If you guys have anymore suggestion, tell me now before I start painting it.

Old 01-07-2005, 12:28 PM   #68
MDN67
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Laurent Mordin
gueret, France

IT4S ALWAYS GOOD? THE DISPOSITION OF YOUR CHARACTERS IS VERY GOOD AND THE PAINTING OF THIS TOO? I HOPE YOU ADDED MORE DETAILS ON YOUR SPACE SHIP? WITH THIS YOUR COMPOSITION WILL BE EXCEPTIONNAL GOOD WORK? AIIIIE excuse mle for the weight of the letter

Old 01-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #69
cgkrusty
Know-it-All

portfolio
Ken Henderson
Freelance Illustrator / Concept Designer
Home Studio
Comox, Canada

It's really coming along. I really like your characters and your rendering of them is very nice. I'll be interested to see how you handle the MG and BG elements in regards to detail, brush treatment etc.

Great job!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 01-07-2005, 06:35 PM   #70
AirbORn
kicking and screaming!!

portfolio
Marek Okon
Motion Graphic Designer
Toronto, Canada

Nice colouring on your piece. The composition looks interesting too! Looking forward to the final

Old 01-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #71
JasonChan
Silent, but DEADLY!

portfolio
Jason Chan
Conceptual Artist/ Illustrator
Massive Black
USA

"I actually posed for the enemy commander, and I think because i have double-jointed thumb and fingers, the hand looks weird. I should get someone with normal hands to pose. It looks like it's missing fingers because I had my hand curled around a bit."

Now that you mention it, he does look like you

I think that the current composition you have is the strongest out the ones you've been playing with. The trick will probably be ballancing all of the focal points you have everywhere. Everything is competing for attention and you might want to tone some things down to allow things like the princess and the other characters to come forward. Right now the city looks like it wants to be a foreground element because it has a lot of contrast and the colors orange and blue (complimentary) which is really making it jump. I think some atmospheric perspecting will fix that right up when you're painting, though. With that pushed back, we can really appreciate your figures, which are the best parts, in my oppinion.

Can't wait to see how this looks

Old 01-07-2005, 11:13 PM   #72
daadaa
FENG of the DAA

portfolio
Da Feng
Automotive Designer
Coventry
Coventry, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to daadaa
awsome!!, expecially the characters as i just tryed doing ppl my self and it aint as easy as i thought!! and i cant w8 for the detail to come in... so hurry!!! :P

Old 01-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #73
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Coloring WIP: Princess Ruu

Here's what I've painted of Princess Ruu so far. I try to keep her looking as melancholic and ethereal as people have known her as, but give her enough of a "I must lead my people against all odds to restore the empire" expression so that she doesn't look like a basket case.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #74
gregpro
Veteran
Greg Pro
USA

Hey Robert!

How have you been my friend? It's nice to see you here too. Great idea you have going here, I love the close-up. As usual your rendering of woman is spectacular. I can't wait to see the final artwork. Go get 'em!

Greg

Old 01-09-2005, 10:05 AM   #75
gregpro
Veteran
Greg Pro
USA

I've been staring at her face thinking who does she remind me of? Of course! Jennifer Connelly! Beautiful job Robert!

G.

Thread Closed share thread