Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Robert Chang

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #31
I might have to forfeit the challenge. The PSD file I was working on became corrupted, and I tried various ways to fix the file, but it's pretty much hopeless. The last backup I had went too far back, and although I tried to redraw/paint what I had, it just doesn't look nearly as good as the original. Even the weight of the characters looks unappealing.

Old 12 December 2004   #32
That's sad but well, there'll be another challenge and many other possibilities for us to see more of your great paintings

Old 12 December 2004   #33
Very sad to hear. A huge loss for all of us!
If you don't have too many other commitments, maybe there is still time to pull it off - maybe from scratch?
Triumph over Adversity!!!

Gord MacDonald

My Anatomy Thread

My Website

Good Facial Expressions Resource:

http://www.artnatomia.net/uk/artnatomy.html

Last edited by gordonm : 12 December 2004 at 05:00 AM.

Old 12 December 2004   #34
Line Art: Tellurian Sky finished drawing

I decided to not give up, even though the file I was working on got corrupted and I had to redo a lot of stuff. I didn't make the last challenge, and I felt bad about it, so this time I'm going to try to get it in.

The finished drawing depicts Princess Ruu (most people know her as my avatar, or from the painting "Melancholic Princess") at the right hand bottom. She's wearing her fancy gown because there's a scene where the palace was attacked during a royal ball, and being the brave Princess she is, Ruu straps on her sword and joins her troops in the fight (of course, against everyone's protest).

In the left, we have a large image of the enemy commander--who was at one point Ruu's childhood sweetheart. The polar-opposite positions they find themselves in as adults is a stark contrast from how close they were as children.

Behind the characters on the bottom, we see the royal palace, and the grand entrance, lined with statues of guardian angels and energy shield arches.

On the bottom left, we have a few trusted members of the underground rebellion who vowed to resurrect the empire after it had fallen. They are in a sense, the only family Ruu has left after the empire's defeat.

On the top, we see a giant ring, made up of interconnected alien constructs. They are the source of the conflict, and the force behind the envasion. We also see lots of attack ships and armoured exo-troops, descending from the sky and carrying out a full-scale invasion.

Old 12 December 2004   #35
Cool boali

I like the idea, it seems to like poster advertisment.www.boalis.com

Old 01 January 2005   #36
Good story and great concept sketches -- can't wait to see more

Old 01 January 2005   #37
Hi Lunatique,

A great decision to go on and in my opinion the best approach to deal with such displeasing incidences. Fortunatly the deadline is not tommorrow - much room left to continue for a gifted painter like you are. Anyway at the end of the challenge you dont have any reason to reproach yourself with not trying it.

The current composition looks devinetley epic. The characters are looking exellent - as allways. Im looking forward to see how the colored translation between the enemy comander and the background will look like.

maybe the shapes/design of the spaceship could look a bit more agressive by retracting the rounded lines and making them sharper.

Greetings
Fahrija

Old 01 January 2005   #38
Line Art: Drawing Update

I made some changes--mainly the location of the ring construct, added more ships, changed the size of the mothership, moved the Princess a little, and resized the enemy commander a little and moved him to the left so he's not so close to the center line of the palace.

I like the idea of making the ships more aggressive. I might make them more alien looking.

Last edited by Lunatique : 01 January 2005 at 08:11 AM. Reason: added text

Old 01 January 2005   #39
It's looking good, the amount going on is crazy. You're a good painter, I'm sure this will be really nice once it's done...keep going strong like this.

cheers,

Daryl

Old 01 January 2005   #40
Hi,
Glad to see that you does not have to give up, your project is
rich a little as a poster of cinema, I hope that you will be able to
finish the colors because there is much detail.

Old 01 January 2005   #41
Coloring WIP: Tellurian Sky (coloring WIP)

I've roughed in the general color scheme, although this is not set in stone. I might try different color scheme/lighting/time of day versions and see which one I like the most.

Old 01 January 2005   #42
not a very good comment this would be i must admit so delete it if you must, but is it me, or does all these paintings that feature female characters possess the most perfect pair of you know what...and they are all more or less the same size as well!
sorry for that inappropriate thought there, but then again im still a kid, im allowed to ask stupid questions :P

btw great concept and cant w8 to see it all finished

Last edited by daadaa : 01 January 2005 at 12:37 PM.

Old 01 January 2005   #43
Finally we get to see you great work. The only comment I would make is that the image looks a little bit flat with that front on perspective, maybe the full details are yet to be place in to grasper the dynamic look. Nevertheless the characters looks nice and has some kind of ringing tone of elegances. The colour combination are just as good. Great work... hope to see more of it.

Old 01 January 2005   #44
daadaa - I don't go out of my way to make the curves on female characters into monstrosities that defy reality. I don't know about you, but I think a healthy C or D cup is quite normal for a lot of women, and I sure have dated quite a few that were in that range, or above and beyond. I'm not one of those guys that puts DDD cups on my female characters. If you have seen my other works, you'd see that I always portray women with sensitivity and admiration--never as only sexual objects.

Remember, we want fictional characters to be attractive--it's escapism afterall. Why is it that main characters in movies are usually handsome, sexy, witty, intelligent, and courageous? Because that's what we wish for, but don't get in reality. You can turn this around and ask, why is it that female artists tend to draw/paint pretty boys, or sexy men that have beautifully sculpted definitions in their physique? Is it wrong for women to portray the kind of men they are attracted to?

If I was doing a portrait of an old man sitting on a porch, or a war-torn and bloodied soldier walking off a battle field--then I'm portraying something very different, with a completely different intention and aim--including audience. However, that's not the story I'm illustrating, and those are not the characters I have in my story.

On a different note--my wife models for a lot of my artwork, and she's pretty damn attractive. Take a spin around my website and you'll see my photography/paintings of her.

ecura - Yeah, I thought about the perspective issue too, and I might do some variations if I have time.

Old 01 January 2005   #45
Hi,
First juice of sympathetic colors, the girl is really sexy and it
with a very beautiful rib cage.

Thread Closed share thread