Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Robert Chang

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #1
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Robert Chang

Robert Chang has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Tellurian Sky (color WIP)

I'm sorry I let you guys down. I really tried, and stayed up all night, but there was just too much that's unfinished. I roughly sketched in the general feel that I'm after for the finished version, so you guys can see what it might've looked like finished. Anyway, it sucks that I couldn't finish it, but I did learn a lot and had fun working on it, and it's been wonderful sharing and learning with all of you. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited by Lunatique : 01 January 2005 at 10:47 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #2
It's going to be fun seeing your work Lunatique, its my first time around here, but i've seen some work you've done, and i must say its stunning. Keep up your beutiful work.

(Z)

Old 10 October 2004   #3
Concept Sketch: Tellurian Sky 1

Tellurian Sky is an epic sci-fi/fantasy screenplay that I've been working on for almost three years. It is just right for this challenge.

My idea of epic space opera includes faraway galaxies, advanced technology, political intrigue, war, supernatural mystique, betrayal, redemption, vengeance, and characters that fight for what they believe in with absolute conviction. Tellurian Sky contains all of these qualities, and I tried to capture that with this sketch.

Last edited by Lunatique : 12 December 2004 at 07:43 AM.

Old 10 October 2004   #4
Concept Sketch: Princess At the Landing

Here's another sketch from Tellurian Sky. This one depicts Princess Ruu at the landing pad. In the background you can see the entire fleet of combat ships, the outpost (the circular space station), and a planet at the bottom left.

Old 10 October 2004   #5
Hi Lunatique! Welcom on the challenge!
I like the first sketch. I'm waiting to a color concept.
Good luck !

Old 10 October 2004   #6
Thumbs up

You got two really good concept-pics there. But I have to say that the first one seems
more powerfull and personal. That fellow from the side is he inlove with the girl? Im waiting eagerly for some color concepts.

Godspeed!

Old 10 October 2004   #7
Nice concepts, the first one does for me

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #8
I like the first one a lot, but it seems quite common in sci fi novel though, the second one seem to be more original and creative... but I still like th e first one, nice princess... haha

Old 10 October 2004   #9
i agree, the first sketch is more pleasing to me, though there is a greater chance for narrative in the second one. i think that people aren't choosing the second one because there may not be enough subject matter n the forground or maybe its just less resolved in the sketch.

Old 10 October 2004   #10
Concept Sketch: Tellurian Sky 2

Here's another approach--just the Princess by herself, distraught over the war, while an epic battle rages on outside of the fortress.

Old 10 October 2004   #11
oh-ooh, not another one to keep my eye on =]. j/k

good sketches. you can definately see the time and effort of 3 years of screenplay work already being reflected in that first concept - you know your characters, your story and all its emotive characteristics.

im not saying 3 years of screenplay is the length you need to goto, but this people, is why writing a story helps.

good luck with this, ill be keeping ma good eye on this one.
Boy, how buzzed must you be that the latest CG networks challenge is so well suited for a pet project?

Old 10 October 2004   #12
There's a lot happening on those concepts, very promising. Style somtimes riminds me of luis royo...

Old 10 October 2004   #13
another nice sketch, she has much sorrow in her eyes...

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #14
Concept Sketch: Princess at the Landing CU

This is a close-up of the Princess at the landing.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I like the first one too--because I like the movie poster look it has. Movie posters are great inspirations for this type of stuff.

Old 10 October 2004   #15
The narrative quality in the last one is great. Imagine how it would be if you had an obscured figure descending the steps?

Thread Closed share thread