Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jason Chan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #61
Concept Sketch: composition

Trying to flesh out the composition. Here's what I've come up with so far. I don't know if I'm going to go with this or not. I'm thinking of having a battle going on outside of the window in the distance. Comments welcome.

Old 11 November 2004   #62
Paul: Thanks for the advice about designing after composing. You have a good point. I have a habbit of designing characters as if they'll be used over and over even in this kind of one shot illustration. I did this last time around too. Well, I'm moving back into working on the composition now and I'm not affraid to adjust the designs for the sake of the overall piece. I guess I just like to play with my design options without having to redraw the composition. Although, I guess if I did the composition roughs digitally I wouldn't have to worry about that :P

Tommy: I've actually never watched the Cell... Maybe I'll check it out. If I can remember from the commercials, it had a kind of blood red color scheme, right? I think my inspiration for the villain came more from Brom.My original intention was to go with black clothing and white skin on him, so hopefully it won't look too much like the guy from the Cell :P

Blackarts: The girl does kind of look like a Final Fantasy XI character... I'll try to make sure it doesn't look out of place in the image.

Old 11 November 2004   #63
Thumbs up

Really like this as now you;ve got the epic spacewide battle thing going on combined with the personal conflict.
Seem to be saying this to alot of entries and same to you -lovely colors.

Old 11 November 2004   #64
great work man!!! I think...that's the way, the characters in the foreground and the battle of spaceships on the back. Its make more "iconic image". Lookingo foward to see your progress!!
keep it!

Old 11 November 2004   #65
i think a pale orange light sourde from the lower left will really help balance out all the blue. and watch how much pure black you use, you sort of want to go easy on it and use different blacks with colors added in or layering. thats all if you choose to stick with this image.

good job and good luck!

Old 11 November 2004   #66
hello again, jason. i'm really enjoying the verticality of this composition. everything is looking really nice, but i would like to suggest that you make the bad guy look like more of an imposing threat. maybe have the arm with the sword raised or have it starting to rise as if he's going to kill her. it'll look good either way.

Old 11 November 2004   #67
YES! i see you are coming along nicely.... looking forward to more fleshing out.

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 11 November 2004   #68
Beautiful images, but I think you need a few more story elements to really make this sing.

Why the big guy he killing/choking her? Implies hatred above and beyond typical warfare. Are they blood enemies? Is she an unfaithful lover? Is this a family squabble? Perhaps patches on uniforms would indicate who's on what team.
If the guy on the floor reaches the knife, is he a match for the big guy with a long sword? Somebody mentioned a gun. What if he were reaching for a doomsday device that's set to explode? Would the big guy prevent him from shutting it off? Would he be so preoccupied with choking the girl that he would forget all about it?

IMO details like this are needed to make the story "epic", making it bigger than just three characters in a fight. Feel free to use any ideas if you like them. I'm looking forward to see this as it develops. Good luck!

Old 11 November 2004   #69
the drawing class began... and I arrived late!
the work is really slender " a great frozen moment in the painting "
I like the sketch! will you maintain the current concept?
Brom is a great reference and I appreciate a lot!

Old 11 November 2004   #70
Looking good Jason. I'll keep an eye on this one. Paul had good advice. Your drawings are really solid. Good luck!

Old 11 November 2004   #71
The picture itself looks really promising, but i just dont have that grand feeling watching it. hmmmm... It could be just me, so dont bother about that, and its a really different way to aproach grand space opera theme (not just spaceships and planets flying around), but i just told my opinion. Keep up the good work!

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #72
Quote: Tommy: I've actually never watched the Cell... Maybe I'll check it out. If I can remember from the commercials, it had a kind of blood red color scheme, right? I think my inspiration for the villain came more from Brom.My original intention was to go with black clothing and white skin on him, so hopefully it won't look too much like the guy from the Cell :P

Nonono... Looking good. Don't worry!
It just reminded me on that guy... Keep going. Love that direction.

Old 11 November 2004   #73
Cool hi

hey that man is evil.
but remember that the concept have tobe galactic not medieval.
but that image is good keep working

Old 11 November 2004   #74
I agree with ilikesoup - I can't tell who is on what side with all of them wearing black

She could be anything from his unfaithful wife to a traitor to his cause, but we can't tell. If they are on the same side, maybe some kind of insignia...and maybe make the man in front have different color clothing. If she is on a different side than the big guy, she should be wearing a different color I think.

Someone suggested an orange light or glow, that's not a bad idea - you have an awful lot of black going on here.

Your idea for the space battle outside the window is excellent. I think you should go with that.

Overall, the drama in the scene is very nice! Keep going, dude!!

Old 11 November 2004   #75
Concept Sketch: composition 2

I decided to develope another one of my ideas a little more and see if I like it. The image is still very rough. Basically what is happening is that the two characters in the front are trying to escape undetected from the authorities that are after them. However, they have to be fast because there are enemy patrols both on the streets and in the air searching for them. I'm thinking of taking it into the direction that the city is controlled by a currupt government and the two characters in the front have discovered/taken something of importance to a powerful figure in that government. I'll flesh it out a little more when i get further into the image.

Thread Closed share thread