Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jason Chan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
cool concept sketch reminds me of Vash from trigun when he carries the rich girl from that blown up city.
-super cool
-swirly dust would look sweet
-or jaged iron rubble in the background

-sweet

11 November 2004
nice pose, anatomy, linework, composition. i dont think it works on its own for this theme however, although im not convinced you were using it for that purpose anyway. awesome stuff!

11 November 2004
hey, jason! this is robin. glad you found your way over to this challenge, i was afraid you might have not noticed it. i really like the first two concepts, but the third one doesn't seem to connect to the theme as well (as mentioned earlier). the second one reminds me a lot of the FF12 promo poster we all love. i think the second one carries the most potential because it has some good storytelling elements and allows for a really nice coloring opportunity. keep us posted!

11 November 2004
Very nice pose and geometry but the emperor looks really familiar to me, hmmm where have i seen it before? it strikes me as the guy from this video game GOD OF WAR and some others there but very good sketch.

11 November 2004
First off, I thought your MF piece was in the top 3. If that's anything to go by, then we're in for a treat this time.

Your drawing looks really good.

Paul

ps watch your dagger doesn't fall off the bottom of the page. Can I suggest a sneaky glance towards the emperor as he's reaching for the blade (head in same position)..........just a thought.

Good luck

11 November 2004
Hey... i somehow managed to miss this thread!!

Your Machineflesh image was top drawer!! SO i'm looking forward to this thread!!

Looking interesting so far... the last image could develop into a nice composition...

Good luck...

11 November 2004
I really like your most recent concept sketch.

11 November 2004
Thanks for all of the support so far, guys. I'm still not sure which concept to go with
The last one I uploaded isn't done yet. I still have to add in the background. I was thinking either the interior of his flagship or palace. Either way, it would have large towering windows looking out either to a planet or the capital city. Also, the canvas would be larger to fit this stuff so the image won't seem so cramped.

Teknotek: Hey Robin! Yeah, time to try again I'm glad you like that second one. I don't know if I'm going to go with it or not... Can't choose! Are you going to enter anything?

Paul: Thanks! Your piece was awesome last round. Can't wait to see what you come up with for this contest. I agree with your point about the dagger. Don't worry, I plan on expanding the boundaries of the image. I might actually redraw it completely. I don't like any of the character designs and I'm not happy with the poses for the girl and the guy.

I'm having trouble making the girl look like she's being choked and held up by the neck. It doesn't look natural as it is and I can't really hold someone up like that as refference Does anyone have any suggestions?

11 November 2004
I think tipping her head back would help...?

get someone to put their hand around your neck... and you'll tip your head back and look down your face at them. It'sd be even more noticeable if you were lifted into the air....

Have a doodle and see if it makes a difference...?

11 November 2004
http://communication.utsa.edu/mbatc...tger/dialm.html
nice bit of reference.

Doesn't Vader do it to someone in one of the Star Wars movies? Might be worth sourcing that bit of footage to get an idea.......just a thought.

Paul

11 November 2004
oops. i meant the third one. the one with the extreme perspective. for the choking...hmmm just choke yourself in the mirror? or the bit at the end of matrix revolutions where smith is holding new up by the throat.

11 November 2004
Smile

very cool sketches man! luv the comic book style

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: sketches

I switched the guy and the girl characters and played with the characters some. I'm still not happy with the character designs, but I think I like the layout a little better. I still need to come up with a background.

11 November 2004
Thanks for the choking help guys. I think I got the upper bodies looking a little better in the choked possition, but the legs still need some work. Personally, I would probably kick the person choking me, but I don't think that would look so great compositionally. Maybe I should try drawing him limp/unconscious?

11 November 2004
Well if you're trying to emphasize the superiority of the larger character, then you can get away with showing the person being strangled as being limp/unconscious. But having a character look limp my make the scene look likes less of a struggle. I, personally think you've captured the gesture quite well with the victim. As far as the character kicking in retaliation--- Hmm..It depends on how drawn out this battle is. I would think it's prety drawn out seeing how the other character is already knocked down to the ground. So, therefore the character being strangled might be really pooped

I really prefer the pose of the large half naked man from the previous concept sketch that you posted. It makes him look more menacing and evil.

The character on the ground looks a lot like the girl in your Machineflesh entry (the ears!!).

Hope this helps, Jason

Thread Closed share thread