Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jason Chan

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jason Chan

Jason Chan has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Final

Here's my final image. I just did some very minor changes to the glow.

Over all, I'm very happy with how this piece came out. There's still stuff I could probably keep fixing, but I can always say that about a piece. I hope you guys like it.

10 October 2004
Now you're another one I would REALLY have missed, glad to see you're in here

10 October 2004
hey jason! nice see you too here, good luck!

10 October 2004
Talking

Hey guys, good to see ya

Let's get this thing going

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Idea

Here's an idea I'm running through my head. The scene is an alien landscape. The princess's star ship has crashlanded on a beach after a fierce battle in space. A mysterious stranger appears and rescues her from the reckage and carries her to safety while debree rains down from the sky.

10 October 2004
Cool sketches. Two comments...
I think the middle sketch on the top row works best. The symmetrical composition really makes the figure stand out. And you can really give the spaceship a big scale (+ distance fog, as you have done).
There is only one thing that bothers me (perhaps this is too early to be talking about these aspects)...but if debris are falling from the sky, I think it would be more believable if the saviour was protecting the princess from the debris, hunching, while carrying her. And where do the debris come from? The remains of the galactic battle just fought?
Great start...

10 October 2004
I agree, the middle one on the top row looks best because it has lots of room around it, and brings out the sadness that I am assuming you are trying to protray. I like your story too, it would work. I was wondering when you would post something.

I like what you have

10 October 2004
Hello,
Drawings are very beautiful, I awaits the continuation of your
search, good luck for this challenge.

10 October 2004
Those are wonderful sketchs - very loose and expressive - I especially respond to the sketch in the bottom left-hand corner - it has a particularly strong sense of pathos. In terms of overall composition the top-left with the subjects slightly off-centre works best imho.

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

10 October 2004
the middle sketch of the top gives a better idea of the action , and using the last sketch for the woman pose, it'll be great! But it think there is something to do with the top right corner sketch. I'm impatient to see the evolution, good luck

10 October 2004
Heya Gerbil, good to see you back into it again, i will definatley follow your progress, looks to me like your back in fine form. Have always loved your character sketches, very emotive. Cant wait to watch as you finely tune your piece, the last comp was great fun to watch. Goodluck.

"There is no one way to greatness, Greatness is the way"

10 October 2004
I really do kind of like this the more I look at it, has a nice quiet/thoughtful sort of feeling.

just curious by the way, does she actually have a tail or is that part of the clothing ?

10 October 2004
Evil, your concept drawing looks good. I'm digging the idea. I haven't seen much of your work, but judging by your figure drawing skills, I'm expecting great things.

10 October 2004
Hi man ! Nice to see you there. Yur MF piece was excellent..I wonder what you gonna do this time...
I wish you the best.

10 October 2004
Great to see you again in the challenge, Jason.
I feel the top-center image captures the atmosphere rather well - feels really like the true aftermath of a titanic battle, with chuncks of debris raining down, and the sun obstructed. That her rescuer looks so calm (though strangely sad and melancholy), and otherwise unscathed by any of the falling debris adds to the mystery surrounding the stranger.

Will be waiting for more

Thread Closed share thread