CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-28-2004, 01:43 AM   #31
Genesisa
Lets make art :)

portfolio
Jesus Antonio Conde Galarraga
Concept Artist,Ilustrator
Virtual Toys
Portal J , piso 4A, Venezuela

Hey man

good concepts, did you see the concepts of Robota? becuse i think you can get some ideas from it, they are very cool and interesting. take care man see you later

really like your work keep like that, and all of you, just remember to have fun, thats the all what really matters. bye

Old 10-28-2004, 06:21 AM   #32
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
illustrator, designer, art director
Bla˛ Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Having fun is the main reason why I'm here I saw robota, the concept, the book, but I hope I'll come out with something original at the end. Just dont wanna to repeat.

Thnx to all of u

DW V 2d

Old 10-28-2004, 06:24 AM   #33
Peddy
Tricksy and False

portfolio
Peter Davis
3d Artist
Brisbane, Australia

i dont think Genesisa is implying that you will copy, but inspiration is invaluable - not entirely necessary, but if anything gets creative juices flowing, bring it on!

Old 10-28-2004, 05:46 PM   #34
Falcorr
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Juha Kämäräinen
Graphic artist
Vantaa, Finland

Hey NinjaASSN... thanx for the visit!

I like your first concept, but i also like that jelly because i get the feeling of space in it.

How bout showing the view from top of the about to be collapsed crystal building? That way you could play with massive GRAND horizon Also the view might induce some vertigo in people, but that is just my idea. You could also depict one building in the horizon being at even higher! Anyway dont mind me.. This is your work do as you want

In the machine flesh you got such wild pencilartwork seems like this time youre going with regular computer graphics style?

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2004, 07:29 PM   #35
Tommy Lee
Traveling Boogieman

Thomas WENDTNER
Tattooartist/Artist
tommy lee tattoo
Bergisch Gladbach, Germany

Heya Dude!

Good to see ya here,.. Love the concept with the Space-Jellyfish! I am not suprised that u come up with something like this when I think about your machinflesh entry.

Good Luck with this one

Tom

Old 10-28-2004, 07:36 PM   #36
screamingwing
Veteran

portfolio
Jason Moran
Designer/Concept Artist
Screamingwing
Dublin, Ireland

Hey man
interesting concepts but have to go with majority -the first concept had the most impact on me.
Good luck!

Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 PM   #37
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
Bla˛ Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Peddy: i know i know maybe i didnt express myself in a right way. I know that Genesisa didnt mean that I copy ideas from Robota... I just meant that I'll try to bring even something completely different from i've seen so far. I' sure have to study a bit more about Space Operas, coz I dont have a clue whats that all about. The only thing that I noticed familliar is Star Wars so far. Im more into horror

Falcor_: I appreciate ur suggestion and I'll most probably use it. The idea of a high camera view could bring more dramatic effect to the picture, and more dynamical as well.
I didnt choose yet, what technique will I use in this challenge. For quick sketches, computer was the best... it has larger undo history than my sheets and rubber
I'll sure submit some of my pencil and ink sketches, than i'll choose how to continue.. soon!

Tommy Lee: Hey Dude to u back! I almost didnt recognise u, coz of ur "new" avatar. Than I saw that "I told u to noooooo" and it hits me Thnx for ur comment and hoping that u r in this challenge as well..

screamingwing: thnx! I'll do the first one... actually I'm already working on it

DW V 2d

Old 10-28-2004, 09:59 PM   #38
Ariyoshi
Veteran

Javier Garcķa
Espana

Reallly love the Second Sketch, great idea, reminds me Great A´Tuin but is an innovative concept, maybe u need do a sketch more detailed, Sure it´s one of the best ideas looked so far here...

Old 10-29-2004, 12:49 AM   #39
Nemein
Veteran

Student

While I also prefer the first concept to all the other 2 you've made so far - I don't think you should just go dead on and stick with that concept; think it would be better to introduce more concepts, and explore some more, before finally settling down upon one. Just because the last two weren't as attractive as the first one doesn't mean any new ideas you might introduce will be bad.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:27 AM   #40
stevetwist
Know-it-All
Steven Twist
United Kingdom

I agree with Nemein, that's a very good point. I think that if you have any other ideas rattling arround, get them on paper, and then see which you prefer. It may be that idea 1 is still the most appealing, in which case you would probably feel more confident knowing that it stood out over all your other ideas, than if a concept you didn't show could have been better.

Good luck, I know that chosing a concept can be a hard task.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:46 AM   #41
MickW
Antihero
Michael Ward
Australia

Send a message via MSN to MickW
I agree with the majority about the first concept. It just has a much grander sense of scale and depth compared to the other two.

Having said that, i also agree that any other ideas you have should also be developed - you never know, one of them might come out even better than this, and futhermore, there could be some neat little ideas you come up with that can be included in your primary idea. Never hurts to experiment, after all

Old 10-29-2004, 09:11 AM   #42
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
Bla˛ Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

U have a point. Sometimes Im just a bit overamused with something, and than I blindly gp with the flow... And than I also have so many other things to do that I was really happy with the feedback and thought I can finish my piece. Today I'll submit a first idea quick painting, from a whole another view, not from the top side, but from the bottom floor. But I'll also have in mind searching for new ideas, putting them down and post them here for possible replies. Honoustly, Im still looking for something more shocking its just that i didnt (have time to) find it yet.

Thnx for the feedback! It pushed me out when I was stuck

DW V 2d

Old 10-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #43
Ariyoshi
Veteran

Javier Garcķa
Espana

And What about merging the two first concepts in one piece? Can be really astonishing.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #44
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
Bla˛ Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Ariyoshi: I was also thinking about that... I just didnt find a way placing a jelly-fish surface on a melting ice-age planet Maybe I'll think of something. Thnx

DW V 2d

Old 10-29-2004, 11:53 AM   #45
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
Bla˛ Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Concept Sketch: sketch4

Here is another update. A view from the underworld, where icebergs r falling from the sky (from melting frozen islands upthere), people and animals running away, saving thier lives. Arrows r showing the way of moving objects.

DW V 2d

Thread Closed share thread