Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Mickael Allal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
fantastic concepts... they all have such an epic sense of scale... all very Grand!!

I also like the figures in the first two concepts. They really help to establish the sheer size of the space battles and the interior.

I really like the colours in that last concept...

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: alien concept sketch

basically i start with a side view...
I like the idea of an asymmetrical body, an arm with 3 joints, a mask with some feathers blabla bla. The goal here is to develop a world. Using this kind of character will limit me with the use of close combat but it won't be a problem i think.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: another color concept

i confess i draw color concept because i need to practice a lot, and it is always good to try many things. Here we're not really close space opera image, but i need to play with many lighting to see the impact on a scene. The composition is chaotic but no problem, still concept~

10 October 2004
ahh , this latest one is so cool.

I liked all , the sketches , but this one's the
best so far. And you say you paint mostly people ?
Even in spare time ?
You don't have to , you now... heh

10 October 2004
Very nice, excellent concepts all round. The last one in particular definately has that dynamic sense of scale . As for chaos you mentioned , that just adds to the drama of the scene!

10 October 2004
wow, many people here like the second one the most, i don't know why but it is really interesting.
Originally Posted by Speaky: Hi Hecartha, I prefer the second of your initial sketches, that's an amazing concept you've got there. I'd imagine it would be pretty windy near the atmosphere transfer zone!
yes, it isn't a good place to live
Originally Posted by Lunatique: I like the second one the most, but I think something's missing which gives it a true sense of epic saga. Perhaps increase the number of ships and characters?
you're probably right, and changing the point of view would be a good thing i think.
Originally Posted by duddlebug: I really like the colours in that last concept...
thanks, the problem is color increase artificially the interest for an image, judging the concept and only the concept it isn't so great
Originally Posted by Squibbit: ahh , this latest one is so cool.

I liked all , the sketches , but this one's the
best so far. And you say you paint mostly people ?
Even in spare time ?
You don't have to , you now... heh
In fact i paint characters, and to make this a bit more interesting, i paint them in some background, but the background isn't the main part, just a background. If you see carefully, you'll see i've problems to paint a whole scene, blending details in one image, i paint object per object...bad thing~
thanks to all for commenting, it motivates a lot, and good luck to all candidates. Damn, i haven't commented a lot myself, there is too many masters here, i'll check that tomorow!

10 October 2004
2 things i really like about ur sketches...first: the organic design of the ships...second : ur choice of colors. Nice work so far

Sketchbook

10 October 2004
I like the second concept sketch the most of the first two also. I realize that these are all sketches, but I think with the level of finish you've taken them to, a focal point and subordinate entities need to be established in this early stage. You really have a knack for color harmonies, temperature, and values. I look forward to seeing you resolve some of these paintings.

Happy Painting

10 October 2004
I like this last one you made. The three point perspective really works. You feel very small, when you see this image.

10 October 2004
This most recent image is really cool! I particularly like the atmospheric perspective to give it scale and depth. The 3-pt perspective works really well too. Good stuff.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by funkbuttah: I like the second concept sketch the most of the first two also. I realize that these are all sketches, but I think with the level of finish you've taken them to, a focal point and subordinate entities need to be established in this early stage. You really have a knack for color harmonies, temperature, and values. I look forward to seeing you resolve some of these paintings.

Happy Painting
thanks funkbuttah, my approach of this challenge is more to develop my skills than to earn something. But as you said i'll soon take a decision about a concrete story etc. About the color of this last one, i don't really know if i'll keep this kind of lighting mmmh...*and firefox don't like cgtalk where is the paste?* lol

ok, thanks to all, i'm still studying an extended image of this last one...and others sketches

10 October 2004
Hello

Just my encouragements for your search which I find controlled
well, I like particularly the last, good luck for the continuation.

MY SPACE OPERA

10 October 2004
The last concept looks very promising too. Looking up into the sky seeing all those big vessels and at the same time people running away and hiding. You can do quite intresting things with this. Like a character hiding on the forground. Would be cool to design his expressions

11 November 2004
Second one is good for the Epic aspect. That 3rd one is really dynamic, beautiful colors!

11 November 2004
Nice work

I liked very much your concept sketch (specialy the last one)
I think there could be more contrasts on the forground (to make it pop).
That could improve the sensation of huge scale of the ship in the back.
Keep on going!

Thread Closed share thread