CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-27-2004, 08:32 AM   #31
andreasrocha
Crazy Fool

portfolio
Andreas Rocha
Freelancer
Queijas, Portugal

Great!...Fine concept. Things you could improve:
1. that cliff on the right, doesn't really frame the image...perhaps you could leave it out.
2. the space ships look like they are coming from out of the water. Perhaps they could have more erratic flight patterns.
3. some debris falling into the water, would look really good.

These are just opinions...your work will turn out great for sure!

Old 10-27-2004, 08:47 AM   #32
Erebus74
Veteran

portfolio
Giorgio De Michele
Castelfiorentino, Italy

Wow, the third sketch is even better!
How much time you spent on that?
I wish I had a so fast capacity in visualizing the scenes on sketch, like you. Those seems almost alive!!!

Great work!!

Old 10-27-2004, 01:09 PM   #33
element5
Welcome to the dark side.

portfolio
Mark Alford
concept artist
none
Adelaide, Australia

OOHH! I do like that....

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10-27-2004, 02:06 PM   #34
EmpY
renderingTime

portfolio
Daniel Trbovic
santa Monica, United States

Wow (!), 3.0 is great!!!

Old 10-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #35
nuclearman
Atomic Veteran

Michael Crawford
USA

Fahrija, the color scheme in 3.0 is great! I still believe 1.0 remains the most "iconic" of the lot, since the foreground figure implies that this moment in time has had a profound impact upon the people, but simply from the standpoint of "should I develop this because it would -- at minimum -- be a great piece for my portfolio?", I'd say 3.0 is your best bet. 3.0 looks very much like the kind of spectacular concept art you get for major motion pictures (or really neat book jackets!).

Old 10-27-2004, 03:10 PM   #36
Peddy
Tricksy and False

portfolio
Peter Davis
3d Artist
Brisbane, Australia

Go with V3.0. the colours are great and the moment is captured very well.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #37
stevetwist
Know-it-All
Steven Twist
United Kingdom

put simply... 3 ROCKS!

I much prefer 3 to the other two. The scene seems to have much more conflict, and at the same time is very pleasing to the eye (be that the colours, the composition, or other things contributing, I don't know - but it is).

Interesting use of the composition from sketch 2 to base no. 3 on. 3 is a lot better than two, yet their compositions are almost identical. I think it's all the ships flying towards the city, and the fact that the buildings look futuristic (more sci-fi) due to their white metalic look, as opposed to an orange earthy (as in dirt, mud etc.) look.

The fact that the only orange in the scene is the fire makes that stand out, which is great. Also, being able to see the other cities further in the distance gives a very epic scale to the piece. (e.g. is this city defending all the others, and when it falls are the others defenceless, kind of feel).

My only crit is the colour of the sky. It doesn't seem to reflect the mood of the piece. It's a 'happy sunny day' kind of sky, and the piece should be conveying strong emotions of loss, pain etc. - which that sky doesn't in my opinion.

Anyway, awesome work.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:51 PM   #38
MoonVisionStudio
Digital Illustration

portfolio
Jose Pardo
illustrator
MoonVisionStudio
Orlando, USA

3! Great color, comosition, and action! love it!

Massive update to my site, tons of new art!

”I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.”
Roy Batty, replicant.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:14 PM   #39
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

Hi fellows > thank you very much for this great response.

< Salamander >
Thanks for your rating - the third one is more dynamic rather than epic but as you I also like the warm colors of the first one.
[Vielen Dank Irgendwie habe ich die ganze Zeit den Eindruck das alle anderen die Messlatte immer höher setzten und ich nur versuche drann zubleiben.]

< Tranchefaux >
Thanks for your comment. "Perhaps" is the right word.

< andreasrocha >
You are defenitely right. The cliff in the forground needs some more attention because it has not the right shape to frame the sequence. But I am not sure if the scene comes along well without anything in the foreground. Yes, the ships need to be placed much more readable into the context but this was just for the first view to see if it works. I created the mainship at last therefore it looks so uncordinated alltogether. The debris will be the fun part when I decide to finish this one.

< Erebus74 >
Thanks for compliment The picture took me round about four hours nonstop from coming home after work at eight o clock till posting at midnight (european time). Might be long time for some people but I can´t handle it faster [img]images/icons/icon9.gif[/img] and constant through all pictures I make. Scetch 2 for example took me much more time to create with more breaks though it doesn´t look much more complicated than sketch 3.

< Michael >
You really have an good eye analysing images. Your post describes what I thougt. The first one is still much more iconic and I also still like it but I don´t know if I can conserve the "profound impact" through the final. That is the focal point though there is less action than in sketch 3.

< stevetwist >
thank you very much for this detailed comparison and also the description of your impression you have watching my sketches (very important! we all see things with different eyes). The sky looks a bit to friendliy indeed. In one hand it should describe a peaceful place and on the other hand it should express the effect of the attack. Difficult to find the mixture without loosing (or removing) the center of interest.

I just try to see if I can make another initial scetch

Greetings
Fahrija

Old 10-27-2004, 11:23 PM   #40
ered dium
Frequenter

Leonardo Calvillo
traveler
Mexico

It likes excellent, the color is really great.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #41
Bishoppess of Death
Veteran
Robin C
USA

ok idea but...

I'd get rid of the smoke clod going up the right hand side of the picture, since it draws attention away from the compostion. The others are correct in that hte first on has a more dramtic feel, but I like the color scheme of this one better, and with a little work, it could really turn out great. Maybe you could have one of the fighters dropping out of the carrier (i'm assuming that's what it is), possibly another carrier (and smaller set of fighters attacking) on the other side of the city, and maybe (big maybe here) a few little fighters of a different style coming out of the city to engage the attackers....but that's me. You could also darken up the sky maybe, make it a bit warmer and earier to convey the danger.

Ok, that last sentance just sounded stupid.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 AM   #42
Erebus74
Veteran

portfolio
Giorgio De Michele
Castelfiorentino, Italy

To me 4 hours is not so much, beacuse I'm sloooooow.
Maybe I concentrate too much on the subject I wanna depict and don't let the images go for themself.... Boh!
Baron Fredo BughenHagen

Old 10-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #43
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

Concept Sketch: Sketch 4.0

another very rough Sketch. I´m not very content about this one and do not consider to go with this one but it belongs to the work in progress therefore I decided to post it also. There´s still enough time to search for some other stuff before I go with Sketch 3.0.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:38 PM   #44
coCoKNIght
Child of the Night

portfolio
Fabian Hernandez
Screen and Motion Designer
coUNDco AG
Basel, Switzerland

Send a message via ICQ to coCoKNIght Send a message via MSN to coCoKNIght
I personally like the first concept best and I also think it's the most iconic. It shows the contrast between ordinary people and gigantic constructions...

Old 10-30-2004, 08:39 PM   #45
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
illustrator, designer, art director
Blaž Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

Great concept sketches! Very nice technique.. I still prefer the first one so far, but all the other havel possibilities to be an exellent finished pieces. I can really feel the pictures. Good luck at this challenge!

DW V 2d

Thread Closed share thread