Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Fahrija Velic

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
This is really nice. I like the warm colors (is a sucker for warm light) But in the final image I don't think you should have the girl in the bottom left hand corner. She kind of pulls you out of the picture. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Bishoppess of Death : 10 October 2004 at 05:52 PM.

10 October 2004
Really cool concept. I am looking forward for the next picture....

10 October 2004
Fahrija, if you followed the Alienware Challenge last year, I'm sure you're aware that Pufferfish's incredible entry was done in Rhino and then rendered in Max, so there's really no need to switch to polygons for the 3D work. It just happens that XSI, the application I use, has much stronger poly tools than NURBS tools, so I'm more comfortable working with polygons. I think the real challenge with doing your piece in 3D is, as you've suggested, getting the atmosphere to work, but then you could always use something like Afterburn to get the volumetric effects.

As for the 2D vs. 3D skills debate, well, I've always envied those with more traditional painting and drawing skills -- though I've seen some absolutely first-rate concept sketches on the 3D side that indicate there are more and more artists who are equally comfortable in both arenas. "Mad skills" indeed!

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Scetch 2.0

A new scetch with different topic but same coloring. Critics to this particulary with regard to Scetch 1.0 are very welcome.

Quotation:
"Comunication disrupted can mean only one thing - Invasion." > Episode I

10 October 2004
Hi Bishoppnes of death,
I will keep this in mind if I decide to choose this one. But generally I think it is needful to place some kind of indication in the foreground that gives the viewer the impression of the scale.

Hi Michael,
You are defenetly right > to handle both technques that burns.
This time I decided to join the 2D Party because I need some drawing and painting
fundamentals as basement. With this skills I think it is much easier to work out 3D images.
Maybe I´m wrong.
thanks for this interesting conversation and greetings from Cologne

10 October 2004
Love the atmosphere! Great job so far.

10 October 2004
Oh! I like this one so much better (yeah, like the opinion of one out of hundreds of people is really going to make a huge difference) The composition may not be as extreme seeming, but it reallly works like this. I like the balcony things on the building. They remind me of those half-circle shaped fungus things that grow on trees. Keep 'm coming!

10 October 2004
another great image

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

10 October 2004
Composition

I feel the first image has a stronger composition and general mood than this...

10 October 2004
Fahrija, I'm in agreement with Erebus74 on this: the first image does a better job of conveying scale and a sense of an "iconic moment" than the second concept piece -- though I very much like the design on the building in the second piece (sort of a cross between Gaudi's church of the Sagrada Familia and an African termite hill).

As for 2D skills being the best foundation for good 3D work, yes, I agree completely. The thing I've noticed about skilled traditional artists who make the jump to 3D is that their works tend to have much better composition and (in particular) superior lighting to those of us who leap into 3D without the fundamentals. Interestingly, I'm actually using 3D to do a kind of "pre-visualization" for my writing, so I guess where you start is all a matter of where you intend to end up. :-) And greetings from Kansas, Fahrija!

10 October 2004
Hi Michael and Giorgio,

Somehow I feel the same way about the second scetch. Maybe the other scetches are at least useful to find some elements which worth it to integrate into the first one.

Thanks to element5, artie and danielh68 for your comments.

and successful work to everybody

10 October 2004
I agree, I personally found the first sketch more iconic.

I love the colour scheme in both though, very deep and rich, and almost gives it an antique look (which is v.good for legends and the like).

Look forward to seeing more developments.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Scetch 3.0

Here comes scetch 3.0 - A different surrounding with more action and also different color palette.
What do you think regarding 1.0 and 2.0?
Your comments as usual very welcome.

10 October 2004
WOW, Fahrija... what a great sketch. i love your version 3.0 !!! i think, you should go with this colour-scheme. though i like your sketches in the brown/yellow ranges, i think that this one is more attractive... great job!

[super arbeit! verflixt, jetzt hast du die meßlatte aber verdammt hoch gelegt... weiter so und schöne grüße!]

cheers
Salamander

10 October 2004
Hello,

Your last scetch 3 is very made a success of the harmony of the
colors is good and have direction well the size of the things perhaps
the good direction....

Thread Closed share thread