Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Mark Alford

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #16
There's a great human aspect in all these concepts. I love it!

Old 10 October 2004   #17
I like second one more, but there's more action on the latest sketch.
I'll keep looking here.
Keep the good job dude.

Old 10 October 2004   #18
I think that first one was the best. If there would be some bodyguards on the stairs, more panic at the street (with explosions) and confused cops. It could be better than last one, in my humbled opinion

Old 10 October 2004   #19
Wow, I posted the last image went to bed. I get up to find all your kind feedback....Thanx guys.

I do like them all but I really feel the latest is the one, I can see how I want it in my head. I can see a few sleepless night coming up....hehe.

Take care and thanx for looking in

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #20
Definatly gonna keep an eye on this thread!

I gotta say that I like the space elevator thread, but it's not iconic it's more scene oriented in nature. I'd love to see it flushed out and finished personally because it makes such a solid SCI FI scene.

Old 10 October 2004   #21
I do like the space elevator and I was thinking of placing it into the Momentum scene instead of the building on the hill near the woman. What do you think??

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #22
yeah good stuff man. your concepts are progressing definately. keen to see the next stages of the concepts.

Old 10 October 2004   #23
The concepts are all interesting - though I would like to hear more of the story behind the sketches.
I definitely like the coloring of the second one best of all - though the dynamic of the third concept goes better with the epic component of the theme. In a challenge like this, though, it'd be real nice to hear the story (it is supposed to be the stuff of legends, after all) behind the pictures.

I really liked your entry for the Machineflesh challenge - will be waiting for more from ya!

Old 10 October 2004   #24
Eupee: Thanx Nice to see you here.

Nemein: Thanx, I have been thinking of back stories.

1. Balance of Power: This idea is of a Queen visiting a Planet where there is much unrest. She is ruler over this Relm but powers of oppersition want to throw this into chaos and assinate her. This image depicts the atempt on her life.
2. Generations: This shows a familiy of many generations paying there respects to a heroic member of their family. He lost his life in the galactic battle for the outer rim, many were lost from both sides and humanity triumphed. There is peace here and they are able to grow old and enjoy what life holds for them.
3. Momentum: Humanity is hungry for power, greedy in there endevours. They come to a world and take without giving, They live like gods and think they are. On the left is the human forces coming in to the right is a peaceful world. Central is the Commander of this force, He is of the highest rank (god status) He has just noticed someting of beauty, this could be his vice. Can this be the end of war or is this another being to take advantage of maybe a change is coming? Could this be love?
To the right. She is a queen of amazing beauty, she is alone. She has come here to reflect, She has noticed him. Could there be a spark? could this be a trap and she is the bait?
I would like this peice to condure up questions, to show a contrast between peace and chaos.

Hope that helps, I am not much of a words person I just like to draw....lol

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #25
I like the way you populate your scenes with characters. That's one thing I don't see others doing--they really should think more about incorporating characters into scenes. It helps to make the scene actually "feel" like a real civilization instead of a bunch of empty planets and spaceships.

I like the 2nd one for the balance of foreground and background, but I also like the energy in the 1st and the 3rd one, but those don't feel as "grand and epic."

Old 10 October 2004   #26
Lunatique - its fine that people are approaching the challenge by incorporating characters into their scene if that's what they want to do. I would say I'm not one who wishes to place characters into my scene and I would content that this necessarily equates to 'empty planets and spaceships'. Rather, I would contend that both a equally valid approaches to what is a broad topic. Personally, vast cities and ships can, if done right, convey the sense of epic movement and of high drama. Personally, when i see dramatic scenes - vast cities etc, it leaves me with a feeling of awe. A well done environment and landscape needn't have people it in to convey emotion or personalise it.

With my own piece, I feel that incorporating a character would overly personalise it - making that character's story, which is not at all my aim. They would become the focus, and not the momumental event I wish to convey, which for mine own should convey a sense of being timeless and almost mythical. The pieces which most successfully convey a sense of space opera from the classic sci-fi artists like Berkey and Foss imho are the ones devoid of characters - the vast starships accelerating to light speed etc -There's a feeling of awe and majesty.

Rant over. I look forward to seeing a diverse range of approaches to this topic and I really do like what Mark is doing here.

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Last edited by unitstudio : 10 October 2004 at 08:31 AM.

Old 10 October 2004   #27
i want to see more of the world in the third concept. i want to see what the humans want to "infect".

Old 10 October 2004   #28
Hello,

I like the concept rather well "Generations" because it breathes
quietude and have direction well the size of the things the concept"
Momentum "is well also it is more dynamic, but perhaps a little
excavation Good luck for the continuation...

Old 10 October 2004   #29
Wow, so much responce

I am going for an image with characters in it, I said when I starting thinking of something to do " I am not going to put characters in it I am just going to do the technology! " But I wanted to challenge myself and something iconic to me is the characters involved in it and a hint of Technology. I want to see if i can put some feeling into it aswell as the feeling of awe, showing a moment where you dont know the outcome and that leaves questions to be answered.....now I am ranting...hehe

I will do another concept based on the "Momentum" with elements from "Generations"
Lets see how this evolves...

Thanx all

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #30
Some really nice ideas going on here... my favourite's the 'generations' image...

look forward to you next post...

Thread Closed share thread