Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Daryl Mandryk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #61
Olve; yeah you get it - I love those old propaganda posters...this will have a simliar feel, but not as graphic. I'll post my next milestone update shortly - probably tonight or tommorrow.

bakbek; thanks.. that's also what I had in mind...sort of more like an old painted sci-fi movie poster before they started using photos for everything and making everything look boring and the same.

Slav; thanks, I think I know what mean, but these are just rough shapes and colors, everyhting will pretty much change. I do like to use color though, and I'm not afraid to be bold with it.

Old 11 November 2004   #62
Wow, very cool. I like the feel of that huge ship rolling in from the left. Has a massive battle feel to it. Excellent work.

Old 11 November 2004   #63
man, I love this, lots of energy/motion. Can't wait to see more,

neal

Old 11 November 2004   #64
Line Art: line art milestone

I don't really do traditonal lineart, but this represents the next step in my process. The basics are about 80% there. With so much time left I'll probably take my time and really make sure I'm happy with everything before I start detailing.

Old 11 November 2004   #65
minor update; I like it better flipped...like so:

Old 11 November 2004   #66
Bravo! I gotta say it looks equally good either way.
That fallen dude still firing is good stuff , I though about
putting something like that in my pic too
(well one of the concepts anyways,heh)

Old 11 November 2004   #67
Very nice layout and detailing, looks like a really grand piece .
Personally, I think the original looks better than the flipped one, but its just me- not any difference, obviously.

Old 11 November 2004   #68
HEY,
great start. I am sure this will be fantastic. Your work has always impressed me.
I am glad I get to watch your progress.

Good Luck
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

Old 11 November 2004   #69
Arrow

Fantastic line art

If I can suggest one thing: I think the "camera" is too close to the main heroes, more space/battle/environment willl add some "grand space opera" dimension

Old 11 November 2004   #70
Very nice Mr Blackarts! I have nothing really to crit on. I'm just waiting the sharpening of things like the fallen guy shooting. Looking your thread makes me wana be part of this challenge too...

Journey!!!

Old 11 November 2004   #71
Nice work

Hi,
very nice work dude!
But i still prefer your first sketch : the scales and the colors were more subtils (like classicals or "renaissance" paintings colors sets).
I think you have added too much contrast too (the foreground and the background are too similars).
But it is a great picture indeed!
Good luck for the contest!

Old 11 November 2004   #72
fantastic work... beautiful technique... Love the layout... but...

My only crit is that the image could maybe be 'taller'... the figures look a bit too central. There was more space above the figures in earlier sketches. I like the feeling of claustrophobia that the ship gives, but you could still get that with more space in the top of the composition..?

i love it though!!

(edited because i pressed 'post' by accident!!)

Last edited by duddlebug : 11 November 2004 at 10:45 AM.

Old 11 November 2004   #73
i'm really loving the colors. i wish you had the moon that you used on the first color doodle. that was rad. keep it up, man!

Old 11 November 2004   #74
Thanks guys, there is still lots bugging me, and I think you pretty much nailed most of it.

cheers guys.

Old 11 November 2004   #75
the central figure is just as epic as it gets, it's truly dynamic!!! ,but the composition is something that is tooo classic(not necessarily bad, but really reminds me the general layout of starwars posters)

Thread Closed share thread