Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Daryl Mandryk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
I'm looking at these concepts and I'm saying to myself is gonna be ..again..one outstanding piece.......love the idea..cheers tech

10 October 2004
very dynamic composition. The pose of the characters remind me of the SW EIV movie poster which isn't a bad thing.

10 October 2004
grr admins please delete this, accidental double post.

Last edited by Hillartsympho : 10 October 2004 at 01:25 PM.

10 October 2004
Hey Blackarts, thanks so much for taking a look at what I've got down so far. you're suggestions were really helpful. maybe someday I'll be a winner too... in life hehe

hmm trying to find something for you to work on... how about the closest areas of the foreground? whats going to be there? How close will it be? and the "flag pole" sort of form on the right side with an orange form under it is still confusing at this stage... is that a part of the ship above or the forground? its its the front of the ship you may want to play with the anges to make them line up better and at least at this point the hue is to different to read as part of the rest of the ship. if its a specific object on the ground, it of course needs more definition so it can read as an object rather than just mark.

your compositional strategy is similar in some aspects to Frazetta's paintings; as the hero and heroing are central on a mass/ hill in dynamic posture; the moon present in the back... but the handling of the sci fi theme is contemporary and unique to you.

Magnificent. Fantastic, and you just got started!!

10 October 2004
i was wondering where the previous winner went to! good start you are off to. im still struggling to get that level of implied form in digital concept work. and how so! a concept on a more personal level works very well, and yours already has impact.

10 October 2004
Love the image already

The composition is so good its scary, i must say i really love it already. Something just tore down the recemblence of my image in my brain . Btw, i think i can see something similar with the last winning piece, uhm, the guns and colour buildup? But since i belive its in a early stage anything can change. Its going to be fun to watch this thread.

(Z)

10 October 2004
keeping up the good style from last challenge...all that energi...love it!!

10 October 2004
I have to echo the Frazetta comparison. This is a fantastic start. It is jsut what I need to kick start myself & see what this challeges is about.

10 October 2004
Thumbs up WoW!

Great sketch! remind me The Raft of the Medusa (Géricault).

I'll keep an eye on your work

10 October 2004
wow thanks guys, I'm glad you are diggin this even in the embyronic stage it's in at the present.

andreasrocha; the poses are basically placeholder and will likely be changed. I shoudlnt have really even done anything on the faces this early, but I couldnt help myself - again they'll be changed. I would like to have the woman looking up into the sky at something (?)....still have to figure this out.

russelcollins; you are right man, the ship will have to be pushed back a bit.

duddlebug; thanks duddle...I dunno if it will be better - just different. btw your cartooning skills are awesome....I am green with envy.

Hillartsympho; that flag looking thing will probably be a tattered flag with fire behind it...or not. but that's sort of what's in my head. As for the foreground, probably alien corpses.....still need to figure it out. Frazetta uses strong focal points in his compositions which is what I try and do as well....I want to get the viewers eye to focus on a specific area, then move around and check other stuff out.

Peddy; thanks, I appreciate your comments.

ZuraK; I do a have a thing for big blue laser beam guns...I admit it.

thanks all....more to come sometime soon....

Last edited by Blackarts : 10 October 2004 at 05:41 PM.

10 October 2004
Great composition. I'll certainly be watching this thread.

My only suggestion would be maybe it could use some silhouettes of the enemies rising up in front of the mound on which the heros are standing.

10 October 2004
Hehehe.. a new masterpiece is coming to be realised

DW V 2d

10 October 2004
I was going to say it reminded me of Frazetta, but then I noticed the other posts. Anyway. It reminds me of a Frazetta painting. :-)

10 October 2004
Nice one. Good luck man.

10 October 2004
I think it would be cool if the girl were severly kicking an alien in the head with a stilletto boot and blasting another. Very moving image nice composition!

Thread Closed share thread