Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Daryl Mandryk

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #16
Good luck to the Winner !

Old 10 October 2004   #17
I'm kind of happy with this sketch - i might try and turn this into something. Or not.

Old 10 October 2004   #18
great mood. Who are they fighting there? Robots? Predators? Symbiotic aliens?

Old 10 October 2004   #19
Good start Blackarts!! I like the way you block out an image... not as stark an dynamic as your initial black and white sketch on the machineflesh challenge... but there's a real sense of 'battle'... and drama... Is there going to be a bunch of stuff going on in the air...?

Old 10 October 2004   #20
Yeah I actually prefer this method of blocking things in as opposed to the black and white, it helps me get a sense of what the final image could be a lot quicker. It's good for establishing some mood and drama right of the bat. I really have no idea of what they are fighting or what's going on in the air, they are just abstract shapes I use to help balance out the image. All that stuff will be decided later. This gives me lots of room to play around, try different things, and start refining this into something cool. I'm not a fan of writing a big back-story to explain the image - I really think the art needs to speak for itself, if you the viewer has to read a long explanation in order to understand the picture, you've already lost them. That said, my basic idea is a group of heroes, surrounded by a horde of aliens or whatever, and some sort of space ship action happening in the sky (perhaps coming to aid them). Nice and simple. The thing i want to do is balance the heroic aspect of the image with some 'epicness'...it's a fine line I think - you want to keep the human drama in the picture, but also provide a sense of scale and wonder.

Old 10 October 2004   #21
Concept Sketch: concept sketch for space opera

concept sketch milestone....I figure I'll hammer away at this until it turns into something cool or I get bored...whichever comes first.

Old 10 October 2004   #22
Cool colors

I'm digging the monochromatic color scheme with the touch of blue in the guns. I know it's only your prelim sketch but consider keeping it with that tonal range, new here so I haven't seen your other stuff but I like what I see so far...

M&S Entry

My GSO Entry

Online Portfolio

Old 10 October 2004   #23
u da man

Old 10 October 2004   #24
Looks great so far, Daryl. You've got a real eye for the dramatic. If anything, I'd say that overhanging shape of a ship or whatever it is might be a little too much in the frame. I like the vertical element to it which intersects with the moon/planet in the background, but that large dark mass seems a bit overwhelming to me.

Good luck to you and to all your fans in this thread as well

~Russell

Old 10 October 2004   #25
Your sketch are very good and I like the colors good luck for
the continuation...

Old 10 October 2004   #26
Heaps of Space Opera goodness here! Awesome composition, mood and energy without having a story. This piece truly sells itself, which is what any good work of art should do i guess.

Definitely looks like some kind of valiant and heroic last stand....great stuff Daryl.

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Old 10 October 2004   #27
absolutely awesome, with what little detail there is this image speaks in volumes, an excellent composition i cant wait to see the final thing. It has a great feeling of action and movement youve really managed to capture a great freeze frame of some epic sequence, definately part of what this comp seems to be about. Keep it up.

"There is no one way to greatness, Greatness is the way"

Old 10 October 2004   #28
Beautiful...Looking for something to criticize, but I can't find anything. The only thing, perhaps (but since this is a concept, it's too early to be mentioning this), are the expressions of the man and the woman. His pose asks for a really big scream, I guess...and she looks too passive, somehow. Perhaps her left arm could be outstretched, waving off that group of "bad guys", in despair...Just hints.

Old 10 October 2004   #29
Really fantastic!!

This could be even better than the last one!!

Um... the one...that...erm...won... bugger....

Fantastic works, as usual, Daryl...

Old 10 October 2004   #30
This is the most remarkable start I´ve seen so far. It looks epic - the perspective angle mediates tremendous dramatic action - The compostion is great and has a convincing arrangement between the different objects.

Thread Closed share thread