CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 2D
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-03-2004, 03:00 AM   #61
ralphmanning
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Ralph Manning
User Interface Designer
Tesco
Central London, United Kingdom

Wow, this is looking very promising indeed. I see a lot of potential here. I really loved the final line drawing, it looked great, Well done.

As for the colour. Yes, I like what you’ve done on this first test, the colour work very well together and it is pleasing to look at. No denying that. However the colours are quite earthy and natural. Which I feel plays a big part in distracting from the futuristic, sci-fi, space etc theme in this scene. In fact the collection of colours you have here remind me a lot of war and battle, I think because it reminds me of the stereotypical camouflage colours on old war aeroplanes etc. Personally I think this is a bad move, all I tend to think of is past or current times. When I looked at the line drawing before I saw this colour test, I thought of, what I expect most people would, shiny metallic spacecraft, dark grey or black parts etc. All a bit clichéd I know, but the strong colours would more likely come from light sources in the scene, such as lights on the spacecrafts, the city in the background, lasers, traffic beacons etc. Looking forward to seeing what your other colour ideas are. Good luck.

Last edited by ralphmanning : 11-03-2004 at 01:23 PM.

Old 11-04-2004, 12:13 AM   #62
andreasrocha
Crazy Fool

portfolio
Andreas Rocha
Freelancer
Queijas, Portugal

Coloring WIP: Color Progress 02

Started the colors all over. Perhaps it's too dark, but there is still a long way to go. I kept the linework on top of the color layer. I will merge both layers later on, and remove/integrate the outlines.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:04 AM   #63
Kadastrophic
Veteran

portfolio
Karl Diaz
Pipeline TD
Vicon | House of Moves
Los Angeles, United States

Send a message via AIM to Kadastrophic Send a message via MSN to Kadastrophic Send a message via Yahoo to Kadastrophic
I like the depth of this last images really draws you in.

Old 11-04-2004, 01:29 AM   #64
V_Shane
Creatrix Motivator

portfolio
V. Shane
Prof. Freelance Illustrator
VShane Studio
Waukegan, USA

Very cool piece your designs are nice movement is great..

Old 11-04-2004, 12:12 PM   #65
Fahrija
pain_emplifier

portfolio
Fahrija Velic
Industrial Designer
NR21 DESIGN GMBH
Berlin, Germany

Hi andreasrocha,

I like the development the picture made since the first 3D environment image. It´s not so bad that the picture is a bit dark at this point. It´s much easier to lighten the parts than vice versa. The arrangement maybe will make some problems because at the left side is a lot of action and at the right side you have the hangar with less action. It could be nessecary to integrate the right part of the image into the action. > some ships are gonna prepared for starting or something like that.

Greetings

Old 11-04-2004, 09:42 PM   #66
Bishoppess of Death
Veteran
Robin C
USA

I like the warm lighting here. And I congradulate you on your ability to understand Painter.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:12 AM   #67
giza-di
Frequenter

G. Dimitriou
...blip
Greece

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeophex
Wow, this is looking very promising indeed. I see a lot of potential here. I really loved the final line drawing, it looked great, Well done.

As for the colour. Yes, I like what you’ve done on this first test, the colour work very well together and it is pleasing to look at. No denying that. However the colours are quite earthy and natural. Which I feel plays a big part in distracting from the futuristic, sci-fi, space etc theme in this scene. In fact the collection of colours you have here remind me a lot of war and battle, I think because it reminds me of the stereotypical camouflage colours on old war aeroplanes etc. Personally I think this is a bad move, all I tend to think of is past or current times. When I looked at the line drawing before I saw this colour test, I thought of, what I expect most people would, shiny metallic spacecraft, dark grey or black parts etc. All a bit clichéd I know, but the strong colours would more likely come from light sources in the scene, such as lights on the spacecrafts, the city in the background, lasers, traffic beacons etc. Looking forward to seeing what your other colour ideas are. Good luck.

keep to this colour scheme,imo...gleam and chrome plates have been done to death .this last colour wip really reminds me of film noir,kinda 'metropolis' stage. i particularly like the domed architecture elements

Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 AM   #68
andreasrocha
Crazy Fool

portfolio
Andreas Rocha
Freelancer
Queijas, Portugal

Coloring WIP: Color Progress 03

I really like this coloring/painting stage of the whole process. Now it starts turning into something.

As you can see, I've enlarged the canvas to the left. I think it looks more balanced now. I'm not really fond of the top front of the hangar. I'll have to do something about that.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:16 AM   #69
sidchagan
Frequenter

Sidharth Chaturvedi
Coral Gables, USA

Send a message via AIM to sidchagan Send a message via MSN to sidchagan Send a message via Yahoo to sidchagan
Composition is great, and darkening definitely works for it.

Old 11-05-2004, 03:44 AM   #70
element5
Welcome to the dark side.

portfolio
Mark Alford
concept artist
none
Adelaide, Australia

very cool image, I see you have much to do so no crits here

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 11-07-2004, 11:32 PM   #71
andreasrocha
Crazy Fool

portfolio
Andreas Rocha
Freelancer
Queijas, Portugal

Coloring WIP: Color Progress 04

There are some things with this pic that I don't like...Now that I start putting in the details, problems start to show up. Let's see what happens...

Old 11-07-2004, 11:43 PM   #72
Cicinimo
Veteran
CGSociety Member
Jaime Jones
student
USA

Send a message via AIM to Cicinimo

This is looking really fantastic. Your color choices are smooth as cheese, and the composition does a fine job drawing the eye towards the action. One issue that jumps out at me is the saucer shapes behind the buildings. The lost edges, the value contrast, and the simplicity of their shape tends to push them forward and space. Their enormous size isn't well conveyed, and the only reason I know they're huge is because they're placed behind the buildings. Also (and I'm sure you plan on this anyways), the buildings in the distance could use a bit of variation in shape. Looking great though!

Old 11-08-2004, 03:52 AM   #73
Bishoppess of Death
Veteran
Robin C
USA

Nice. I especcially like the sky here. I like the second picture better than I did the first. Myself, I would light the big ship in the background up a little more, to define it a bit better. I would also put a little skim of light on the big stack of crates in the front of the hangar. Not as much as the first pic, but the light source seems to call for a bit more light on the top than it has now. Thas all. Shutting up now.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:15 AM   #74
Speaky
Keeping Schtum

portfolio
Jesse Speak
Senior Designer
Brighton, United Kingdom

Hi Andreas, I haven't checked your thread for a few days and I must say things are looking great here. I think you've settled on a very promising pic and you've got loads of time to polish it until it shines.

I think there's something I prefer about the previous colouring pic, compared with the most recent one. I suspect it's because the new one has a very contrasty bg with the tall skyscrapers being dark and fringed with bright, saturated sunlight. I find my eye goes to this point because the lines converge there when there's no real subject of focus waiting for me. The skyline to the right, behind the structure, looks distant because the buildings are fogged out and I think it might really matters to use this fog on the left. It could be low level haze with the tips of the skyscrapers managing to clear it just, and if you drew the fog down as a vanishing gradient so the nearest buildings of the bg were as dark as they are currently then it would really help give the bg more depth. Also, the foreground fighters and structure would pop right out.

One last thing is the colour is a bit uniform at the moment. With a warm coloured foreground it could be good to make the bg a bit cooler, introducing a very subtle wash of blue over the most distant bits, i.e. the far right bg which lessens in intensity as you come in towards the left. Cool recedes, warm approaches.

Other than those minor points, can't really fault it. Very compelling, I'll make sure to check your thread more often.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11-08-2004, 10:41 AM   #75
NinjaA55N
pencil-jutsu

portfolio
Blaz Porenta
illustrator, designer, art director
Blaž Porenta s.p.
Cerklje, Slovenia

It coming along nicely, but its too dark in my opinion. I would lighten the left bottom corner with some city lightenign, which will bring a great contrast to the pic. It is just my suggestion. Maybe u r already planning to do so, but I was away for 5 days now so i didnt manage to read all posts till now. Go on, its a great work!

DW V 2d

Thread Closed share thread