Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Andreas Rocha

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #46
hey, I like your direction, this is kind of an odd comment, but have you ever been to Rome? the massive hangar reminds me a little bit of the Roma Termini Train station (i'm in Rome for art school now)
using a 3d render is part of your process. you made it so its all your work. It gives you a different way of looking at whe you're doing and can help you with the composition of teh final painting. I think using different techniques/ media is a good thing.

Old 10 October 2004   #47
Line Art: Line Art Progress 01

After doing a print of a light version of the render I started drawing over it with pencils. There are things I like and things I don't like in here. I think that what I'll do is make different pencil versions refining some parts and then later I will take the best parts of each and combine them in Photoshop.
My neckmuscles hurt of drawing with pencils and paper, and looking down onto the table instead of looking at a screen when drawing with the tablet. I wasn't used to that...

Old 10 October 2004   #48
It is starting to feel very huge and grand. I was thinking of using the same technique that you are using to approach the line drawing.

Old 10 October 2004   #49
This all looks very interesting so far, and I have no crits concerning design and style. The only thing I'd like to say is "don't overload the image". In your last sketch you leave practicly no spaces empty. I think the image would benefit from a clear focus.

Old 10 October 2004   #50
Nice line work here. The concept it really coming together nice. I always will evey those with talent in the architectual areas. Pooh.

Old 10 October 2004   #51
it's cool that you use other elemets to help you with the perspective and lighting but I think also to ask somebody fpr that...someone my think is unfair...just in order not to have a bad surprise....nice lines and nice choise for the last composition..cheers tech

Old 10 October 2004   #52
Lookin very good, so far. This one is going to be probably on top 10, i guess..
(While mine entry in top 30-40)

Good work man, keep it up.

Old 10 October 2004   #53
Line Art: Line Art Progress 02

Finished the first general line art stage. I tried to detail everything a bit so I know where I can play with silhouettes, where I can leave things in shadow, where I need and where I don't need detail. I think I will still make some concept sketches for the mothership, the invader fighters and some spaceships in the hangar.

Windowlicker, you are absoluetly right. I must be careful not to "fill" the image. I think that is where the coloring stage will play a main role (eagerly waiting for that part of the process). The cityscape below will be mostly dark colors with some burning areas and some sunset highlights. The city skyline and the motherships will mainly be defined by silhouettes and some internal lighting with bright spots. The back of the hangar will also be defined by silhouettes and occasional "bright spots". What will be really detailed is the front of the hangar and some of the front invading attack ships.

I hope that if I accomplish my intentions, the image will be pleasing to the eye and not tiring. But until there I can still get lots of comments from you guys to improve my work.

Old 10 October 2004   #54
Oh yes, it's looking very nice indeed. I reckon you've balanced it out nicely, and there are ways of balancing out the 'weight' of details so I don't think the detailed cityscape will give you a problem. It's grand, it's epic... very promising!

Steampunk - my entry

Old 11 November 2004   #55
no crits from me...

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 11 November 2004   #56
Thumbs up

It is, in my eyes at least, a little messy in the top left corner.
Perhaps you should clean up a bit, starting with moving the floating round thing a bit more to the left and see how that looks? Maybe I'm wrong....
But apart from that I think it looks very good!

Old 11 November 2004   #57
Very nice composition and everything.. lots of happening in ur piece, what I like the most. I cant wait to see which colors u will choose. Keep up the good work!

DW V 2d

Old 11 November 2004   #58
Coloring WIP: Color - First Test

Finally I got to the coloring stage. This one was done in Painter, in about 20 mins. I like to keep the time down, so I will concentrate on the overall image and harmony of colors. I don't know if this one is too colorful...All the details from the lineart are gone, but that is because I was just worrying about color. I'll get the detail back in later. Comments welcome.

Old 11 November 2004   #59
hey this one will be cool.
I can't wait to see your progress.
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

Old 11 November 2004   #60
Thumbs up

Very nice concept, It's a good work. I want to se your next image

Thread Closed share thread