Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Andreas Rocha

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Wow! i guess you are an achitect! your perpective sketches are great! maybe something for you to think about would be having the foreground or middleground overlap the background in some areas, as if they were layers, to contrast with the perspective lines that draw your eye back in space. diminishing size of these layers is another way to create a sense of deep space.

awesome work and good luck to you!

10 October 2004
Nice one, can't wait to see this finished.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Pencil Sketches

Made some sketches with a mechanical pencil and a ballpoint pen. Afterwards I added digital value. I decided I would go on with the hangar idea. Trying different points of view and two-point perspective as suggested by unitstudio. I kind of like the third one. More sketches to go and I still have to find a story...

10 October 2004
Yes these a very nice andreas - much stronger, much more engaging and interesting. They're fantastic, and it's difficult to pick a favourite. The tope one is interesting in that the lines of the hanger which could potentially have all kinds of interesting detail and human-scale activity point to your city in the distance - the eye moves easily from right to left...

The 2nd is very nice compositionally with the high viewpoint and the diagonal lines - very energetic and strong. It would be interesting to see this piece with more value differentiation - that is the hangar interior being cast in shadow (with techy scaffolding and equipment etc, and and a cloud or ocean(???) far below bathed in pure luminous light. It would look sensational (the kind of light you get at 30000ft above a cloud layer) - you could extend this piece further to the left, having the roofline trailing off and possibly a ship coming into dock. to the mid-far left of the image.

The third and fourth work quite well and would tell the story quite nicely but I would say that the top best tells a story and yet is still compositionally, quite engaging.

great work there!
-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

10 October 2004
Great Sketches

I think sketch #1 has the most potential. By having a close-up to show some key parts and the open end that leads you into the rest of the city, it looks great.

10 October 2004
I like Refining scetch A, but it's not theme related... But you'll figure it ut I'm sure in that!

10 October 2004
These last few concepts remind me of the Macross Plus saga. Definalty work in my opinion. I see these concepts as bright sunny days with blue skys. Very nice feel to them. I also like the scene of scale.

10 October 2004
love the latest sketches man...love it

10 October 2004
I've noticed that you have somehow included your previous 3 refined sketches in the first one: the hangar, the buildings on the left, and the inverted buildings hanging from the sky in the far backgound...I don't know if it was intentional, but it's a good idea. Sketch 1 has more potential detail, I think it will look very good, but it will probably be the most difficult, sketch 3 maybe shows too much roof, and I like the columns in sketch 4

good luck with it, looks very promising!

10 October 2004
Really nice sketches! You really have a nice drawing style, good luck on the contest!

10 October 2004
Line Art: 3D Render Help

Well, I ended up choosing the hangar image with the city in the back. It'll be the classic invading alien scene. I want the setting to be on a really dark rainy day, with glimpses of a red sunset, to infuse some drama to the image. I think the darkest areas of the hangar in the back, will contrast nicely with the sunlight in the front, where the main conflict of the scene will take place. The eye then "spirals" to the smaller invading spaceships, then to the city and finally to the motherships.
The use of a 3D render to help me out with perspective and light will surely be considered as "cheating" by many. For me it is a tool to test different layouts, and to help me out with perspective. I'll be drawing the main line art on top of a light print of the render...It's the first time I do this, so let's see what happens.
Comments most welcome.

10 October 2004
cool idea to get use 3D model to get your perspective.

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

10 October 2004
Hi Andreas, I think you made the right choice to go with the hangar one - it's the one with the most drama and story potential I feel.

You make an interesting point about using a 3D render. Personally I don't see it as cheating since you obviously already have your perspective skills. It's more of a shortcut. For those who still need to learn perspective, I still don't think it's cheating, but they will be missing out on learning something which is quite simple conceptually and very rewarding to put into practice. Just my two pence.

Steampunk - my entry

10 October 2004
its very handy being able to grab the scene at any time and just fool around with varying camera angles. many people stay stuck in one or two angles simply because its a lot of effort sometimes =].

10 October 2004
Very nice sketches and concept, hope to see more soon.
Great job!

Member of dAILY sKETCH gROUP

Thread Closed share thread