Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Mark Okon

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: short range jet vehical

This is a short range jet bike, mainly for inner-city transportation.

I have a story (I think), the grand opera I am thinking of constructing is the uprising of a supressed society. Everyone basically revolts and together equipped with basic weapons and vehicals, bring their murderous dictator out of power. The scene will be a pinical point in the revolt when all men, women and young children take back the city, or are in the process of invading the center, (hense the third concept I created last week).

10 October 2004
It Promess to be a Wonderfull image

• Lovely colored sketches! and very good concept of light and shadows on them, I almost can see the final 3D image! and with all those "old fashioned" aircrafts i can't wait to see more!

• I definitly like the old china idea, have you also consider some da'Vinci's like aircrafts? It would be amaizing some Personal transportation units, where u can see the people actually flying'ems

10 October 2004
hi Mark..

im not a pro in 2D but one thing is clear for me.. your environment sketches are one of the best i've ever seen including all well known modern artists.. your composions are simply brilliant..
you just got one fan.. i'll fixedly follow your thread..

cheers and best of luck in challenge!

Last edited by greentek : 11 November 2004 at 07:20 PM.

10 October 2004
these concepts are pretty nice, great colour. also are you going to expend the bottom of the canvas? it would be good to show more at the bottom to show a high rise city, with heaps of action down the bottom

MachineFlesh entry: No Strings Attached

10 October 2004
Man, you've got some sweet mechanical designs. And I like the last compostion the best. Just for the record

10 October 2004
Thanks everyone for the comments:

eupee: I think you are right, I probably will expand the bottom of the canvas by about 15%, thanks

climax: I am thinking of trying out some old fashion vehical designs, I complete forgot about Da Vinci, thanks for the reminder.

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Quick Sketches of civilians

Here are some quick sketches of what the civilians could look like. Some of these concepts could work for what I want to construct.

I pretty much have my colour palette decided, it will be warm yellow/orange. This is because the planet this civilivation exists on has a more mars like lighting.

Anyway, what do you guys/gals think?

11 November 2004
hi Mark..

hehe.. very cool 'retro-futuristic' dressed folk.. i like the guy in the center.. he looks like an officer from the "chippolino" opera.. hehe.. very cool.. also child on the right side reminds me a shepherd from the mountains of caucasus.. absolutely the same dressing style..

in my opinion your choise of the yellow/orange color pallet is absolutely legitimate.. especially comming out from the environment sketches..

hehe.. i like your folk a lot..

keep great stuff up mate!

cheers..

Last edited by greentek : 11 November 2004 at 11:29 PM.

11 November 2004
line and characters

Great characters! They look like an animation film ones. They have something from euro comic style too. The outline looks great in your drawings. It could look good n the final image. The idea of air Leonardo´s vehicles could be good but fixing technology with them, the same way your characters do. Congratulations! Give us more!

11 November 2004
ah I love retro-tech, great characters. It's good to see some different takes on the Space Opera theme. Maybe their planet is rich in a reddish brown mineral which eventual dyes everything brown.

11 November 2004
Thanks guys! I am glad you look them, I wasn't sure what people would think.

Riki: That mineral idea is a good reason why everything would be died reddish/brown. I going to see where I can take that in once I start bringing all these elements together. Thanks

greentek: I cooked these concepts up pretty fast, I guessed that these costume design exited somewhere else. Perhaps in my subconsious, I'v seen these somewhere but didn't realize it.

kaparo: Thanks for the comments!

11 November 2004
the colours and costumes ring a similar tone to the series Last Exile, which is a good thing.

11 November 2004
hey airborn. i like ur stuff so far. looks promising and may very well be inspiring soon enough . i would reccomend thinking a bit broader. i myself dont know wat broader is, but it just comes to me. tells me 'broader'. i need to work on the word 'big n broad' myself

11 November 2004
Hey, thanks for the kind words on my thread!
You've got a great feel going on here- I see a bit of Moebius and Miyazaki (Nausicaa), which I really like.

Can't wait to see where you go with this!

11 November 2004
I really love your last post and you have a sense of continuity beween your last and second to last posts. are you sticking with teh first environment sketches and altering the colors to the orange palette? i also like your color scheme. keep up the great work! can't wat to see how all this comes together!

Thread Closed share thread