Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jesse Speak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #61
Looks good. Only thing I would prefer is for the station in the background to appear larger. I dont know if its the guy in the forground, or the lack of something else readily recognisable as large to compare to the station, but to me it doesn't seem big. You probably weren't aiming for it anyway but just my opinion

Very good otherwise

Lockwyn

Old 10 October 2004   #62
Very good start ! Good sketches and nice ideas !

Old 10 October 2004   #63
Hi Lockwyn, I was trying to make the station look very large by showing those sensor 'nodes' which look to be at least as large as the hero, dissappearing into a tiny stream of dots and vanishing altogether before it reaches the station. Admittedly in this rough sketch it's not too clear! Another couple of things I thought of after posting this is that I could maybe put the station into a wide-angle perspective and have an angle such that the base joins the planet (space elevator!) with clouds lapping at it's base. That might help make it look a bit bigger!

Cheers

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #64
Talking Well Done!!

Very Intriguing on all your designs and concepts!!
The 2nd picture in the first set has the best composition, by far!!
You seem that have a pretty good grasp on the whole space opera idea. I'm eager to see which design you choose to go with.

~~Well Done~~

www.essencedesignworks.com
A Site by a good friend of mine we're collaborating on

www.essencedesignworks.com

Old 10 October 2004   #65
wow I do like that one

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #66
Originally Posted by Speaky: ... I could maybe put the station into a wide-angle perspective and have an angle such that the base joins the planet (space elevator!) with clouds lapping at it's base...

That would look amazing. Might I also suggest also giving the station a bit of a tilt to make the composition a bit more dynamic?

Old 10 October 2004   #67
Nice work speaky. the composition is reading very well - i like the figure in the foreground - it helps draw the viewer's eye in nicely. I would have to say its not my favourite of your thumbs but nonetheless its still mightily impressive. Keep it up!

-g

::: unit - concept art, illustration & design :::

:: Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite ::

Old 10 October 2004   #68
I like it, although I kinda feel that the mother ship is either 2 big or too close, the others had a bit more depth

EDIT: or then again maybe not, not too sure myself

Last edited by flyingP : 10 October 2004 at 05:00 PM.

Old 10 October 2004   #69
Wow, some amazing sketches in here! I'm so glad you're not taking part in the 3d challenge

I think all your ideas have potential with more detail added but I actually really like the first space sketch. The underlit ships look ominous and would look great if scaled up to almost fill the space. All the porthole lights will give the ship shape so I think it's just fine if it's not too visible.

The guy in the foreground gives it all scale too. I actually like this one better than the last pic you uploaded (the hybrid), including his pose. He looks better when looking towards the ships (it kinda directs your attention on them instead of on him) and the way his legs are posed makes it look like he just floated into the pic. I think it all works better compositionwise.

I'd say go for the red planet version

Wiro

Old 10 October 2004   #70
Concept Sketch: Thumbnail sketch refined 2

From the first set, second one with the emperor being assassinated. Some might say the composition isn't as good as the thumbnail, and they may be right, I just wanted to try out a two point perspective rather than just the one point.

I placed the setting sun behind the pair of figures to create a dramatic outline. I thought the shaded area on the right hand side would seem extra dark as the 'viewer' looks into the sun almost.

If I were to develop this one further, I'm thinking adding some more height to the buildings and perhaps some dirty vapour trails as the enemy disperses their intitial wave of fighters. Maybe one damn dirty fighter screaming past the window too.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #71
Cool

Its incredible how many entrys you have in so little time lol very nice work

Old 10 October 2004   #72
you know......I have yet to see a sketch here I that don't actually like

Old 10 October 2004   #73
I like the perspectives you use. The light is really good too. Seeing your work is very motivating.

Old 10 October 2004   #74
Your last sketch is gorgeous! As usual...

The only thing I think you should improve is the silhouette of the two characters in the foreground. Maybe, you could show a little more sttruggle from the dying emperor, or a more dramatic pose of the killer... you know? Try to make them more readable.

Otherwise, beautiful image. The sense of grand Space Opera is already on it! Looks like something out of Frank Herbert books, or from the Foundation saga.

Old 10 October 2004   #75
Wow, every piece is like an incredibly well done underpainting, I can't wait to see what happens as they progress. So many incredible works of art.... keep up the great work!

Thread Closed share thread