Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jesse Speak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #46
comment

Great sketches by the way great compasitions, but i guss u need to give the feeling of "Grand"ness u know? this amazingliness to the eyes of the viewer, that will help u alot!
Good luck

Old 10 October 2004   #47
I liked the epic structures set of thumbnails. All in all a great beginning.

Old 10 October 2004   #48
Hiya Speaky,

Just a quick note to say ....love your work....looking forward to your updates

Mark

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

Old 10 October 2004   #49
These are all fantastic, Speaky.... how are youg gonna decide?? Maybe you should auction off your unused ideas once you've made your mind up!!?

The planet based images have such a sense of scale with their perspective and lighting that the space images almost seem 'little' besides them. This is probably just a lack of fine detail (caused they're speed paints!!) and that there's no people as an indicator of scale. I'd go with FlyingP and plump for the first one of the space images... or one of your planet based images (i liked the one with the cheering crowds and the huge city-like ship landing/taking off).

You've produced a set of incredible concepts... i can squint a bit, imagine the detail and see any of them amongst the winners in January.

Good luck making the decision... can't wait to see them develop!!

Old 10 October 2004   #50
you sketches are looking more promising every post you make. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread

Old 10 October 2004   #51
Thanks you lot.

Keem - yes, the grandness is something that needs to be a big part of the final pic. I'll have to find ways of showing scale through detail and repeated elements. The space pics are difficult because without an atmosphere to narrow contrast range it's a lot more challenging to show relative size.

Gamoron - hey, I haven't seen you since the Game Icon challenge! You entering this one?

Duddlebug - Thanks, man. I've complicated things through choice here haven't I? I guess I'll spend a while exploring some of the better ones and hopefully one will stand out from the rest. That's the plan.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #52
i gotta watch this great scetches

Old 10 October 2004   #53
Originally Posted by Speaky: FlyingP, I kind of like the first, but I'd have to develop the hero's flying posture a bit. He does look like he's mincing into battle. Huzzah!

looking at what you've drawn so far I can't see you having too many problems developing it further. It has an interesting mix, one side fitting perfectly with with the Heroic theme, and the other it has humour.

ah what ever just keep drawing, I love your work

Old 10 October 2004   #54
excellent work, i don't know if i'll check your thead again, perhaps the fear to use your ideas subconsciously . I really like the second sketch of the two first sets and the third one of the third set but it is really to choose the best! Great sketches!!

Old 10 October 2004   #55
I look forward to seeing what direction you decide to head in.

Old 10 October 2004   #56
I like the scale of the second group... I think a strong foreground or human scale element will really push it and make them even more dynamic... the sense of light even from the start is great.

Old 10 October 2004   #57
wow, nice sketches, you've got plenty to choose from. You maybe could strive for sense of vastness or something (or then it's just small images that ruins it). But those are really good sketches.

Good luck to you

Old 10 October 2004   #58
Wow, those sketches are terrific! They all have different moods and themes. Looks like a great start!

Old 10 October 2004   #59
For now, im just signing up to ur great thread, to make sure i dont miss a single sketch from u.. later i'll post some comments and suggestions if i'll have some

Good luck!

DW V 2d

Old 10 October 2004   #60
Concept Sketch: Refined thumbnail sketch 1

This is a pretty quick rendering of a combination between my last two images. I liked the idea of Captain Frapp taking on the mothership with his Vorpal Rifle, but thought the stealth ships were a bit too stealthy and hard to read properly. I actually liked the colour scheme in the second pic more. So here is a combination of the two. I had to introduce a bit of atmospheric haze just to make the foreground pop out more, and I had Captain Frapp on his side looking at one of the sensor nodes as he moves toward the mothership. I'm not too keen on those green arcology type stubs on the upper shell of the mothership. Maybe if they were drawn a bit more accurately?

Steampunk - my entry

Thread Closed share thread