Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Jesse Speak

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #31
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Leigh: Gorgeous ideas so far - you certainly have the right idea of "space opera"

Exactly!!! Great Start...

Old 10 October 2004   #32
Ciao Jdd, each thumbnail sketched in black biro on paper, about 2x3 inches. Scanned into Photoshop at 200dpi, made them about 450 x 550 pixels I think, contrast boosted and layer mode 'multiply'. Coloured underneath this layer with an ancient and tiny wacom penpartner, with another layer above the line art for highlights if needed. Saved for web at about 66% size... baddabing. Hope that helps.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #33
Ciao Speaky... England or Italy ? lol ... thanks for the tipp... I will try to follow what you tell...

amazing works man

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

Old 10 October 2004   #34
Speaky your a genius. Quit now while your ahead, I need a chance in this competition.

Old 10 October 2004   #35
oh man, you are gorgeous!!!

im blooding out of both eyes - your concepts are all cool. you can make out of every thumbnailscetch a great work. every scene has something cool and special....dont know, which one is better.....please show us all your stuff and thoughts, so we can learn from it.

Old 10 October 2004   #36
Thumbs up

Great scatches! Very impressive!!!

Old 10 October 2004   #37
Great start Speaky!

All off them have so much potential. This competition really looks like your cup of tea.

Cant wait for more advanced sketches. Bet im gonna learn a lot just by watching these sketches

Old 10 October 2004   #38
So... are you going to start auctioning off your unused ideas to us poor souls?

Old 10 October 2004   #39
Wow! these thumbnails look great.

can't wait to see more of your ideas.

Old 10 October 2004   #40
those are beautiful sketches, you've a fantastic feel for perspective and depth

Old 10 October 2004   #41
Slow down man ... you're making this more difficult than it is.
Impressive sketches. I particularly like the 3rd one of the second set the best. Nice sense of scale and excellent color values. The only thing it has going against it is that it doesn't make me think of "space".

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to see which one you go with.

Old 10 October 2004   #42
Concept Sketch: Just another couple of thumbnails

Ok, ok, last ones for a while I reckon! I just realised I hadn't tried any ideas that were set in space, they were all planet-bound, so....

First pic shows the intrepid hero jetting toward the grand Frangulan Stealth Death Attack Fleet to take them on single-handedly. The rationale? Hopefully they won't be able to detect his miniscule thrust emissions and he'll be able to use his Vorpal Rifle to deliver a lethal shot against their mothership, leading to an inevitable and fatal disruption of their command grid and ultimately, human victory. Huzzah!

The second pic shows a bit more promise I feel, it's quite a tranquil scene in which I was imagining some kind of ark-ship travelling among the stars seeking suitable planets for human habitation and seeding them with automated atmosphere processors, base constructors and the like. Possibly a bit of a cliche, and it's mainly the lighting I like really.

I started off with four pics btw, but only really thought these two had any promise. I think I'll spend a while considering what I've done and maybe polishing up a couple of existing pics to gauge their potential.

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #43
both of those are cool, but I really do like the first...... Huzzah!

Old 10 October 2004   #44
I just wanted to thank you all again for the feedback, I'm overwhelmed!

Really, it's the fault of CGTalk for setting a challenge with such a tempting theme. Here's one 29 year old who gets way too excited by this subject matter

Steampunk - my entry

Old 10 October 2004   #45
FlyingP, I kind of like the first, but I'd have to develop the hero's flying posture a bit. He does look like he's mincing into battle. Huzzah!

Steampunk - my entry

Thread Closed share thread