Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Hello,
nice work. I especially appreciate the outlined style. It makes me think about Alphons Mucha.
Maybe you can add more dynamic in your picture by drawing some "curved smoky trails" from the propellers...
And sorry for my terrible english.

01 January 2005
something nice is going on here...keep it up!

Visit my online portfolio

01 January 2005
spacesnail:

Thanks for the comments. I'm a big fan of the outlined work as well... but, they'll be going away once I dive into polishing the piece. Sorry... I just don't want this to be in that graphic style. Hopefully you'll still like it when I've finished.

I'll see about modifying the thruster trails for the ships... those were just place holders.

Atmospheria:

Thanks!

---

Thanks for looking you two!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: Colouring - FG ship progression (a)

A step-by-step look at my process creating this ship:

Image (A) is the base image you've all seen in my previous sketches.

(B) Re-did the cockpit, added some depth, the interior, glass etc.

(C) Created new outlines for the ship and blocked in my base colours for the ship.

(D) Added details on a separate layer.

(E) Added an overall base texture. The Blend mode I chose in Photoshop lightened the overall colour of the ship.

- see next progression image

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: Colouring - FG ship progression (b)

- progression continued:

(I forgot to mention that I am painting this at full rez in a separate file. I will copy and paste the complete ship back into my final scene. I have the BG image of the city in these progressions so I can make sure my colours are playing well together.)

(F) Added my shadow pass. Basically I create two layers (both in multiply mode) and select the entire ship. Then I fill one of those layers in with a desaturated purple (in the shape of the ship) and begin to erase the areas not in shadow. I do this as my base shadow layer and the go into my second shadow layer (dark-shadow) and tighten up some areas that need it.

(G)This is the paint over mode. I tried to eliminate as many outline lines as possible. I did this by creating a new layer and painting over the lines with the appropriate colour for that area. I think it really helps. Granted... I have to do this process for the entire temple city (YIKES!!!)

I also added my thrusters (just a test) and some changes to the cockpit.

(H)A bunch of things done here. I added a bunch of warning labels to the ship. Also added lights, modified the cockpit glass colour, and added a reflective light bounce from the city to the underside of the ship.

(I)Final touches. Added the insignias and touched up some other areas. Added another subtle metal texture to give the hull a bit more of a metal feel.

That's the process that I'll be going through for each fighter. Granted, they'll be farther in the distance so it will be simpler.

See next few images for how it will look in scene and a CU of the ship.

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: Fianl ship in scene test

Here's the ship comped into the scene. When I bring the ship in I will have to ground it in the world. You can see this as I've added highlights on the ship from the explosion and I've darkened the shadows. These tweaks will be organic as the image evolves. Having the base ship created gives me a lot of flexibility.

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: CU of final fighter

Here's a closeup to check out.

01 January 2005
The fighter fits the image nicely, despite having a different style from the rest of the it (how do you do it?)
Two small crits:
a) the back part of the fighter is too dark, considering the intense light blue. You said it yourself, these tweaks will evolve naturally, so it's actually a minor critique.
b) I would love to see the other fighter from a diferent angle, cause the current position can be somewhat confusing (are they flying above or besides the temple?). Maybe you could add a smoketrail (or similar) that showed that the ship's been rotating.

By the way, the process pics are great .

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

01 January 2005
Gaia's Herald:

Thanks for the comments. I figured throwing in some process pics would be good for me and possibly some other people who were curious. It can be a covoluted process, especially when it comes to the polish stage as that's when you just feel the final needs. But, the initial stages are pretty standard for me in regards to working on this type of imagery.

Oh, in regards to the ship fitting in irregardless of style? Well, I like to think colour choice and light / shadow have a lot to do with it. As well... the BG of the image is only roughed in... It will be taken to a higher level of polish as well. Granted I want the ships and the temple to feel different, they're apposing cultures afterall.

Now to answer your crits:

a) It's a dilemma for me. Is it too dark or too light? Usually an object placed infront of such a bright light source would appear (or at least be percieved as being) in silouette. That being said, should the thruster glow saturate the engive cowling (lightening it as you suggest)? Not sure... we'll see how it evolves.

b) You and every other poster who's replied!

No worries, it's coming. I wanted to nail down how that fighter looked before I dove in to drawing the others. It's also the object closest to the viewer so there was a LOT of detail work to be done (who teh heck needs that many rivets I ask you?). I'll have a few that are showing their bellies so that I can sell the up angle.

---

Thanks again for the feedback and for checking in!

Last edited by cgkrusty : 01 January 2005 at 05:34 AM.

01 January 2005
I very much love technics... Especially such... I very much like your design and technics of painting))

01 January 2005
Nikolay:

Thanks! Glad you liked the process pics... hope they help or at the very least give you some insight into how I burn the hours (days) away.

Thanks for looking!

01 January 2005
The fighter look great, perhaps add some more reflects, for the backround "building" I think you could made the yellows lights more littles to give sensation of a bigest-buildind... I prefer a darker ambience. In general a great job, and greats explanation of your "technics"

01 January 2005
Wow your ship is teeribly beautifull, i like it, good work and good luck

01 January 2005
The piece looks like it's coming along nicely. I like your ship design. It reminds me of that old game, R-Type. There was another game it reminds me of too, but I forgot the title. Also your alien structure looks great. Can't wait to see how that looks fully rendered.

01 January 2005
stefgrafx:

Thanks for the crit! I'm revisiting the hull "finish" on the ship as I've had a few comments on it. I'll post a newer version later today... gotta get it knocked out as I have too much else to do to nit-pick this ship. That being said, it is a very important aspect of the image. Sigh...

In regards to the size of the buildings windows and the sense of scale you get from them. I like the size they are now, the upper temple / volcano stucture (that isn't finished yet) will have more windows which will be scale proportionate. That relationship will help to "sell" the scale and vastness of the upper temple so it's necessary for the windows in the city to be this size. As well, I like the fact that the fighters are flying this close to the buildings, shows a lack of respect and heightens the drama... I think.

MDN67:

Thanks for the compliment!

---

Thanks for looking everyone, good luck... only 11 days or so to go! Cripes!

Thread Closed share thread