Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Ken Henderson has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: "Tomorrow's End"

Here it is!

Thanks to everyone that helped and supported me through all of this. Hope you like it!

I must sleep noooooooooozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: No title yet - just a sketch

Some initial first concepts. I really want to show a clash of cultures, a tipping point in the era of a civilization.

12 December 2004

another rough sketch

12 December 2004

another rough

12 December 2004

another sketch

12 December 2004

Rough attacking ship concept, more to come.

12 December 2004
Thumbs up My first few sketches...

Hey everybody!

Have to say I'm pretty inspired by the work that's been done so far towards the challenge and I wanted to throw my hat in. Not sure why there is a duplicate post of the ship concept, maybe a Mod could delete it?

Anyhow, as mentioned these are rough initial ideas. I'm starting to focus my concept and should have a more polished / focused sketch online in the next few days. From there will come concepts of each different culture, their iconic imagery and their manufactured realities.

Any input is welcome though I don't expect much based on these initial, admittedly, rough concepts.

Great work so far everyone!

12 December 2004
Hey everybody!

Have to say I'm pretty inspired by the work that's been done so far towards the challenge and I wanted to throw my hat in. Not sure why there is a duplicate post of the ship concept, maybe a Mod could delete it?

Anyhow, as mentioned these are rough initial ideas. I'm starting to focus my concept and should have a more polished / focused sketch online in the next few days. From there will come concepts of each different culture, their iconic imagery and their manufactured realities.

Any input is welcome though I don't expect much based on these initial, admittedly, rough concepts.

12 December 2004
Whenever you submit a new entry, the board automatically sticks a duplicate of it at the top of your post, as if it's the first entry. I dunno why, maybe so people can always go to page one instead of the last page? Anyhow, it does that for everyone, so no worries.

Anyhow, just wanted to also say that i really like your ship design. Can't wait to see more of stuff coming together... Good luck!

-mike

12 December 2004
Thanks Mike... I figured the dual post had something to do with that!

Good luck to you as well...

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: no title - just a sketch

A more polished sketch to show what direction I'm leaning. The foreground will be full of warriors battling the ships, celebrating some destruction and mourning the battle.

The perspective is a little skewed but it's just a rough. As well... the ship designs, iconic imagery for the civilization being attacked, temple design etc. are all roughs. Just right off the top of my head to fill space.

Marker sketch modified in Photoshop, about 4 hours.

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 08:25 AM.

12 December 2004
Oooo great action piece!! I only have two crits, and theyre very subtle! Now if the one ship is crashing into the rock formation, itd more then likely be caused by enemy fire, unless your pilots cant control their ships and fly mindlessly into a rock, and im being serious here, they are obviously trained to fly these things like pros! And this could be, because youre not finished yet, and havent added anything, and ifthats the case, then you have 100% the right to tell me to stfu, bc I hate when people do that!

Second! The one flying into rock, it should have some more debris flying from it, maybe little pilot parts, lol, jk, but you know what I mean, again! if this is because of what I stated above, then move on! =)

I love it though, great composition, hopefully you stick with this idea, itll go far!

:Edit: I didnt read youre last post, so excuse my ignorance. Forget what I said about the ship having to do with something going on! =) Sorry!

One more thing! Wow I didnt even notice this, but those heads in the mountains are friggen awesome! Great design =D

Last edited by adonihs : 12 December 2004 at 08:52 AM.

12 December 2004
Thanks Adonihs!

Yah, horrible placement of that ship hitting the rock formation. You're right... it is supposed to be exploding from enemy fire. The Ship that has flown by it will have obliterated that walkway and all the lil' guys on it... I'll carry the explosion on behind the ship as if it flew through the explosion (very dramatic) .

When I posted it I thought exactly what you were thinking.

My big issue with the piece, and my perspective will have to be tweaked to get this to work, is having the people in the foreground be large enough to read their emotions (joy, fear, defiance etc.).

We'll see how it plays out.

Thanks again for the encouragement and the crit!

Last edited by cgkrusty : 12 December 2004 at 09:06 AM. Reason: spelling

12 December 2004
This is just great !!! Your linework is almost perfect I'm not sure that it is needed to see people faces, I think your piece is working this way

12 December 2004
Concept Sketch: Another sketch along the way

Trying to make the image more dynamic by putting the viewer closer to the action. But have I lost the scope of the battle? I think I need more sky... need to see that Armada coming in like the bombers over Berlin.

The foreground landform will have a lot of fighters on it, with some contraptions as well, trying to ward off the attack. I’ll have factions of the defending army throughout the landscape. The two key figures in the foreground will be the person holding the child and the person dying on the top of the rock holding the flag.

Does silhouetting him in front of the explosion seem to forced? I like it for the drama of it all…

Anyhow… another sketch along the way. As many of you have done I could abandon this concept all together but I like the focus I’ve gotten so far. I’m trying to capture a clash of civilizations here….

Thanks for looking!

Thread Closed share thread