Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Ken Henderson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
Final Coloring: Colour update - 2

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Just got back from my party and thought I'd throw up the work I did today.

- Modified Mother ship in Maya to give it a more menacing profile. It looks lame now but the 3D object is just there for reference... I'll cool-ify (hopefully) it in Photoshop. The differences in colours on the Mother ship are just to help me see certain elements in Photoshop.

- Started working on Volcano explosion... just roughing it in and refining my overall colours to match. Will take some tweaking but I'm happy with where it's going.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts...

Thanks for looking!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

01 January 2005
your color is great ! i like the way u put your color to image , hope to see more! good luck

01 January 2005
Hi cgkrusty,

Your image has a very dramatic camera angle. Looks very good. The explosion impact is also very nice but I would add some more explosions in the middle part of the building to show that the laser went through the whole building and that it inerwardly is already destroyed except of the walls.
The ships in the foreground have a good style but as regards the perspective view I would show the bottom view because the current position makes the image look a bit flat and detracts the depth or your image. Just some suggestion. Anyway great work

Greetings
Fahrija

01 January 2005
cg - This is looking really nice, and I'm really enjoying seeing how you work and incorporate 3D work into your 2D illo. I think Fahrija has some really good points. I too get a little disoriented looking at this image: It's almost Escheresque, in that I'm not sure whether I'm looking down at the roof of the temple and there's a volcano and alien ship on the side, or whether I'm looking up at the alien ship, and all of the fighters just happen to be flying perfectly sideways. Showing their undersides more might help alleviate tyhe sense of vertigo and clarify the direction of the camera.
Otherwise, though, I'm just content to watch you move forwards and refine. You obviously know what you're doing, so have at and have fun! Good luck with it!

-mike

01 January 2005
Monsitj:

Thanks for the comments! Iím just working on the colours and how theyíre all playing off of each other. If you check out the palette I submitted youíll see where Iím hoping to go but, as I said, itís a base. The imageís needs will dictate how the colour gets used in the final analysisÖ

Fahrija:

Good observations! There will be more explosions, possibly even on the temple city near the bottom of the image. I like your idea of having a few more explosions coming out of the temple mountaintop and may play with that a bitÖ I may also add some fireballs oí debris coming from the explosion itself.

In regards to the ship perspectives if you look at the 3D image in post #60 youíll see that I plan to have varying dynamic angles of the attacking ships. In this image the FG most ship is close to final in its angle. The ship in the distance is just a copy and paste but I wanted to throw it in there to see how it was working with the composition. Iíll be modifying the angle and showing a bottom view is a good idea!

Walrus:

I really like using 3D to refine my angles, saves on paper! Itís just a really great way to play with camera angles, stuff you may not even have visualizedÖ If I was a better modeler Iíd have entered the 3D portion of the contest (maybe, I love to draw too much though) but I really suck at it. Iíve animated and textured in production before but they were always with models created by modelers, not an illustrator like myself.

I agree that it is tough to read right nowÖ I really have to focus everything Iím doing (even direction of volcano explosion smoke) to feed the dramatic up angle Iíve created. If not youíll perceive all these perspective shifts and that will kill the illusion. Lighting will help as will shadows etc. Once I get more detail in the image Iím hoping the issues youíre talking about are resolved. But Iíll keep on it to be sureÖ

--

Thanks for all your help everyone! 17 days and counting, the Wacom stylus will be a permanent fixture in my hand when this is all said and done!

Good luck everyone!

01 January 2005
Wow, how come I haven't posted in this thread before? *scratches head*

Your concept sketches are really nice. Your lines are so clean! I like seeing how you had used the photo montage earlier to block out the composition.

I'm kinda with walrus on seeing the undersides of these ships, but I'll just have to watch what you else you come up with Looking forward to seeing more!

01 January 2005
ken..................My first visit.......it's been my loss up to now.I like the angle choice,the entire battle scene set up,and the actual execution of your art is really well done.......Real epic and intense scene.Very nice,keep this up,looking very nice.......

01 January 2005
YeeWu:

Thanks for the kind words! I'll be drawing the attacking fighters soon and will comp them in to the illustration to get your thoughts.

Virtuoso:

Thanks for the kind words as well. I hope my future iterations maintain the mood that you've gotten from these initial forays.

--

Thanks for taking the time to stop by guys!

01 January 2005
Good work, I love the coloring and perspective of the temple. The style is very neat and quite different from other pics I've seen. With new fighters it will look awesome!

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

01 January 2005
Gaia's Herald:

Thanks for the support and comments! This week will see a lot of updates and I'm looking forward to your thoughts on my progress.

01 January 2005
I'm enjoying watching your progress. Love the style. You may consider changing one of the fighters angles to break up the repetition. really liking your work

Facebook

01 January 2005
SideAche:

Thanks for the comments. The fighter angles are temps, just to let me see how their placement works with the overall composition. The nearest one will probably remain the same but the one behind and all subsequent others will be in different dynamic angles.

Thanks for looking...

01 January 2005
That's looking really nice. I like the design of the architecture, sort of Cthulhulian. The painting and colors are looking good too - the only issue I have is that at first when I looked at your most recent update, it was hard to tell if I was looking *up* at a wall or *down* at a floor plane?

Oops, I just read some of the other comments and see that this has been pointed out...

Well at any rate, it is a nice piece so far!

01 January 2005
The perspective is brilliant here-- it really ads to the drama of the moment. I'd like to see a little more stylistic consistancies. Certain areas, like the smoke from the blast, seem far more realistic than other areas. I'm sure this will be worked out further as the image progresses.

01 January 2005
francis001:

Thanks for the crit! No worries about pointing out the orientation issues with the piece. It's good to hear. What I have to do (other than what I've pointed out before in regards to this issue) is ensure that the sky looks like the sky and I think that'll mean brightening up the moon etc. Hopefully this issue will be resolved with the changes I make this week.

Cicinimo:

Thanks for your thoughts on this! I was waiting for someone to bring this up. I'll definitely be painting over the drawn lines to give the entire piece that painted consistency that you're talking about. I agree that it's very important for this image to be successful. In regards to the perspective - thanks - I really struggled at first to find the right camera for this image but I'm happy with it now, I'm glad you feel the same way.

--

I appreciate the feedback, looking forward to your thoughts on my upcoming progress!

Thanks for looking...

Thread Closed share thread