Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Eric Browning

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2004
Hi, I like much the contrast of your image and the poetry which if
releases.

12 December 2004
andreasrocha- Great feedback- I'll iadd that to walrus's comments for my next pass. Vey much appreciated!

12 December 2004
Tranchefeux-
Wow- thanks for even using the word "poetry"! YOUR piece is AMAZING!

12 December 2004
Coloring WIP: another color comp

Here's another stab at color- hopefully tying elements together better.

12 December 2004
I think that flows much better. It definately works.

added this to my watch list...

12 December 2004
It looks really good, and the colours do work well together. Only crit. is that I'm getting conflicting messages from the piece, the light blue sky suggests all is well, but we know from the big robot it's not - maybe change the sky colour to something more imposing, I dunno.

12 December 2004
draco- thanks for adding me to your list!
Stevetwist- that may be a good thing- what's going on is things ARE good, but they weren't always that way.

12 December 2004
Ahhh, I see (my mistake) - well in that case the colours work really really well.

I thought that the big robot was posing a threat to the little child, so either I missed something along the way or I got the wrong impression from the start.

Look forward to seeing more detail in the coloured version.

12 December 2004
Hi Eric,

I very much like your composition and your technique > very loose and blurry but when closing eyes just a bit the sketch gets sharpen. Especially your thumbnail versions look very convincing and convey your content very well. Like andreasrocha I also like the color range you´ve choosen. The diagonal arrangement of your background shape adds some dynamic into the end time topic.

Greetings
Fahrija

12 December 2004
great revision of teh colours, it's coming to life. I like the looseness, but has to be balance between clarity of subject matter and painterly approach. Look forward to more

12 December 2004
Coloring WIP: color WIP

Here's some colorWIP- the background started.

12 December 2004
This is one of my favorite entries in the competition and every update keeps reaffirming that belief.

I love the lil' girl in the FG and the rest of the image is wonderful.

Beautiful work so far!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

12 December 2004
It'll be interesting to see how you handle balancing out the pastel color scheme (which i'm liking) and the reflective or dull qualities of metal. i think you may have found one way in your color comp you posted second to the last one where there is more contrast in the foreground

12 December 2004
Looking really nice, Eric! Sorry for not responding to ytour question you posted, but it feels like you've been working your way through your own solution to your issues. I like the pastel tones you're using, very clam and soothing without being monotone at all. The white scribbles in your second-to-last post, they remind me of grafitti or chalk drawings, which is probably completely different than you were intending (I'm assuming they were supposed to hint at metallic reflection hilights?) Works either wayfor me, and I like the colors and how they come together. The warm ares definitely draw one's eye towards the girl. Did you remove the spaceship behind her? I liked how it was framing the piece.

Anyhow, good luck with it!

-mike

12 December 2004
cgkrusty-Thanks! Monday will go a lot better after that comment.

Hillartsympho- I'm following the color comp, so the pastel background is meant to drop way back- and the foreground will be high contrast like the comp. I'm going to keep everything else on a layer in above the BG to keep them seperaet while I work on them.

walrus- the scribbles are chalk scribbles, but only on the plate of metal the girl is perched on. The other scribbles are, in fact, MY scribbles. For the comp I worked zoomed out so I wouldn't noodle, those scribbly spots will be metallic glints, more subtle probably.

Thread Closed share thread