Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Jason Maguire

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #31
Texturing looks nice, but I think your way of lighting is waht really makes you special. Haven't really seen a lighting setup like yours, especially for the character. Nice stuff!

Cheers

Old 12 December 2004   #32
Excellent progress i really like his textures very nice lighting

you did a great job here keep it up mate

Old 12 December 2004   #33
Texturing: Scene Texture 1

Made a start on texturing the scene, still needs some work. Small lighting test aswell, I think it may be a little too dark, what do you guys think? :)

Old 12 December 2004   #34
Many thanks for your comments keetmun & Lelantos.

Old 12 December 2004   #35
Yes! It starts to look very impressive! I see that you changed their poses a little bit and now they look very natural! What renderer did you use? I think that the lams on the sides are too bright and they catch viewer's eyes too much.

Old 12 December 2004   #36
Looking good!

You may want to throw a bit of rim light on the two figures on the left and right from the wall sconces. It's hard to guage the darkness of the piece without the BG element... so far it looks great!

nice work!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Old 12 December 2004   #37
Modeling: Exterior 1

I made a start on the exterior, I decided to go with a stormy setting so I may have to relight the main scene.

I wanted to make a large Metropolis on the outside but the building these guys are in is supposed to be the tallest in the city. I was thinking of maybe just showing the tops of a few buildings poking out of the water to make it look more like it's sinking, what do you guys think? :)

Old 12 December 2004   #38
arturro: Thanks! I agree about the lamps, I'll tweak them. I'm using the Maya software renderer.

cgkrusty: Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I agree they might fade out a little, I'll try putting some rim lights on them, thanks.

Old 12 December 2004   #39
Modeling: Exterior 2

More work on the exterior. :)

Old 12 December 2004   #40
Rendering: Composition Test

Here's a small composition test with the two scenes together. How does it look?

Old 12 December 2004   #41
Impressive my friend! impressive! But I think tha thise buildings should be more in the distance. It would be sasier to make real wave splashes on them.

I like it! Maybe some tips on the water shader?

Old 12 December 2004   #42
Thanks arturro.

I agree about the buildings being more in the distance, I was thinking of maybe having one of them falling over or something.

The water is actually just a blinn shader textured with some photographs of water in my bathtub! It's modelled using a poly plane and sculpting tools.

Old 12 December 2004   #43
This last update is very impressive really like that atmosphere you have achieved hereI agree with arturo and with that weather you have here they would make nice splashes this would add a lot in your scene

You are doing great job here keep it like that

Old 12 December 2004   #44
Great work so far! I just found out your thread (the competion has grown incredibly!) I like the thin balance of vast and peaceful, stormy sounds and air compared to the silence inside!
Modelling so far works pretty fair to the concept and quite clean!!

Agree with arturro and Lelantos on give some splashes to the outside buildings. Also I think adding some variation to the buildings' forms might work, on the other hand it might ruin some of the balance of the image.....

Waiting for updates!

Old 12 December 2004   #45
The atmosphear is great in this scene... I especially like the lighing work...

My online portfolio

Thread Closed share thread