Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Agostino Priarolo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2005   #61
Modeling: son character - 01/01 step 01

son character - 01/01 step 01

Old 01 January 2005   #62
Modeling: son character - 01/01 step 02

son character - 01/01 step 02

Old 01 January 2005   #63
Texturing: son character - 01/01 step 03

son character - 01/01 step 03

Old 01 January 2005   #64
Post Effects and Compositing: compositing 01

I don't know....each day I move these two characters at least of 1 centimeter...

Still studying the last pose, for the final composition....

Old 01 January 2005   #65
Post Effects and Compositing: compositing 02

Here the last shaded viewport shot...

Next steps:

- to add detail to foreground terrain.

- to study light variations. The current combination sun-skylight doesn't work (maybe we have to wait for the sunset?)

- materials to the ship.

- and...my great trouble...work site tools, machineries and, maybe, people...

The trouble is that all those staffs will be seen from very far, they will be put on a scene that is already very heavy, and actually I don't know what the hell to do...

Good bye. See you tomorrow.

Old 01 January 2005   #66
hey agostino - you did a lot of work!

if your problem is the polycount (running out of memory), try to split the scene in different layers. you can easily split your scene in
- sky
- mountains and city
- valley with tools
- foreground with characters and animal

this would give your workflow an extra dimension, because you can color-correct the different layers individually in your favourite composition program.

i always tend to save the layers with premultiplied transparency information (e.g. >= 32bit png's) to avoid antialiasing against the background (e.g. when using alpha-channels).

i hope this helps a bit,
now back to work, just a few days left

Old 01 January 2005   #67
Hi Philipp,

welcome back!

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I used layers from the start, I also have almost every piece as XRef into the main scene... anyway the problem is the terrain....about 850000 faces---

I never tried to composite renders of single pieces together into a 2d software; I see that many people do that. I'll give it a try. but the light argument leave me a little perplexed...

Now I'm coming to your thread....see you there...

Old 01 January 2005   #68
Lighting: Mental Ray's Final Gathering and Global Illumination light_studies.

Hello.

Now I'll submit 2 pictures (actually 8 images in 2 tables) with a few of the many light studies I made.

The aim of these studies was to test Mental Ray's final gathering and Global Illumination.

I thought that the planet that you see here is orbiting around a twin stellar system. That is this planet has 2 suns.

So I put 2 IES sun light sources + a IES sky; then I experimented with colours, contrast of the light, density o shadows, intensity of light, positions of the suns, intensity of the skylight. I made several tests with them during last days.
I put also some kind of blueish mist, as you can see....I experimented a lot with that too:
I tried the Lume Tools' Mist shader with a coloured 2D map applied (that I painted), then I tried a simple Fog environment effect, with a reddish light, then a tried a volumetric fog, by putting a gizmo in the scene as wide as the landscape itself.
At last, I chose the volumetric Fog.

Today I'll submit a few examples of all that work.

After, I'll upload also a couple of compositing tests.

Now I'm pretty finished with Final Gathering, Global Illumination and lights settings. At least, I feel I have achieved what I had in mind.

After this, I will launch a final render on the whole scene at the requested resolution; then, I'll send the big image to my post production department, where one person, that is me, is waiting to the last, and not so easy, part of this project.

cheers,

ago-stino

p.s.

I made some other modelling too, as you can see.....some more machineries, and tools.
Also I finished the work on textures and materials for the spaceship and the worksite.
I put also a couple of particle systems, on the ship, to simulate sparks produced by electric melters...We'll see that in the final rendering test.

p.s.2

Oops, after I uploaded this image, I saw that the text in it has errors; I forgot to change it. The 2 sub-images below ARE two studies with Final Gathering (left image) and Global Illumination (right one). These are only samples of the various experimentations. The final result will be displayed tomorrow, when I'll submit the final pre-postproduction rendering.

Last edited by ago-stino : 01 January 2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old 01 January 2005   #69
Lighting: Mental Ray's Final Gathering and Global Illumination light_studies 02

Another step.

See previous post for explanation, thank you.

cheers

ago-stino

Old 01 January 2005   #70
Post Effects and Compositing: compositing studies

Now, following Maxim's advice, I tried to render the composition in a few "passes", splitting the image in its major components, and merging them together in a second time, to save system resources and speed up the working time on my computer...

As I thought, there are some a couple of problems:

- one is the Fog. I have to render it on each pass, since it doesn't appear on other layers when I merge them together.

- The other problem are shadows; you can see that from the these images.
To render all the shadow I should put some planes with a matte/shadow material.

but I will not do it. I chose a compromise by using a landscape proxy for lights and materials experimentation (the one that you see on these last submission is not the same I will use in the final image. Well, actually, the global silhouette is the same, but it lacks about 3 levels of detail. you can see the real landscape a few posts above).

As I wrote above, I'll shot in a while a final complete rendering of the whole composition, then I'll work over that in post-production.

ciao

ago-stino

Last edited by ago-stino : 01 January 2005 at 05:57 PM. Reason: forget to say one thing

Old 01 January 2005   #71
Post Effects and Compositing: compositing studies

And here the final pass-compositing test.

Just to show what I have done on this subject.

I'll be glad to receive suggestions and/or website links on this matter, for future works.

As I wrote above, I will not use pass layering methods on this project to render the final image.

cheers,

ago-stino

Old 01 January 2005   #72
Rendering: Final Rendering pre-post production

Hello.

After many trouble trying to render with layer passes, finally I put an optimize modifier to the 900,000 faces terrain, lowering down the to about 250,000; then, I rendered the whole image at 4000x3000, with all the layers visible.

I'll add the sky background and I'll do some modifications, that I have in mind, in post-production.

I had a problem here: this image, that I'm publishing now, recorded as a TGA 32, appears with a lot more saturated and dark that the original render that appeared into the frame window of 3D Max. I'll include a print screen of the frame window on the next post. It's really strange. I see this happening always, with all the images that I render in 3D Studio. It's not good. Not at all. Where can I tweak 3D Max to let the image on frame window appearing the same that the saved one?

Thank you

ago-stino

p.s.
For the fog here, I used 2 different gizmos, with different settings.

Last edited by ago-stino : 01 January 2005 at 01:08 PM.

Old 01 January 2005   #73
Rendering: Final Rendering pre-post production

Here the print screen of the 3D Max's frame window, as I said above.

Old 01 January 2005   #74
Post Effects and Compositing: Final Rendering post production

Here's a print screen before rendering. I'm posting this so you can see where is one of the 2 suns here. I need this to put the flare lens effect in post production.

The other sun is out of sight, at your west, high in the sky.

Old 01 January 2005   #75
Post Effects and Compositing: Final Rendering post production

For the sky background, I chose among some of my photographs, I chose the most suitable for the position of the sun, see the post above.

This is a photograph I shot a few times ago on my city's lagoon. Guess which city is this. I live in Helsinki (until the end of this month) but I was born in this other city. Suggestion: it's not on this planet (earth).

Thread Closed share thread