Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Tuomas Järvenpää

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2004   #31
those are some seriously hungry looking beasts! good work.. the overall atmosphere of the scene is really great, it feels realistic, siisti!

Old 01 January 2005   #32
Rendering: Rendering

BTW, this is the first original render that I made, but forgot to upload it, sorry for the delay! I noticed the last man has some strange glow in his helmet!
Spectacular
Master and Servant
Grand Space Opera
---------------------------

Old 01 January 2005   #33
hey happy new year dude

I wanted to comment more on this picture earlier , but somehow forgot, so
here goes :

Being way simpler than some billion-poly entries here your scene is still so
fun to look at , they way you've set up all the humans and aliens is great!

also I like it how even with all the aliens around ,tearing apart his shipmates,
the last man still has a chance to survive. He holds a gun and there's the
open hatch to jump in

yay

Old 01 January 2005   #34
Final Image: This is it

This is it, I am done! Here is the lowres image of the challenge picture. I will add another URL here in a minute that includes the higres pic. It's been fun and yes, challenging.

-Tuomas
Spectacular
Master and Servant
Grand Space Opera

Old 01 January 2005   #35
Jarvetu,

The image is looking very nice,the added erupting volcanoe adds alot to the image. I like the look of the ship. Good job with this.
Mike

Old 01 January 2005   #36
Almost full res image link

-Here is the link to almost full resolution image of scene:

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~jarvetu/gso/gso.jpg

BR,

-Tuomas

Old 01 January 2005   #37
hi
nice entry here
but your image doese not have any contrast try change the lighting.....kill lights/fill lights/back lights
happy new year and wish you the best

Old 01 January 2005   #38
Wanted to come in and say nice job.well done Tuomas.......A pretty wild scene,nice battle.Quite a bit of effort for this,and it's turning out well.it's nice to see people get to or near the finish line,thats a very important factor,and I think perhaps only 10% or so of all entries get there.Keep at it,looking good.

Old 01 January 2005   #39
Thanks Virtuoso for your comments! I wish I had interacted more with the community so I would have gotten more comments. But I guess it is never too late! Thanks for everyone for their comments so far, they are still welcomed! This certainly has been a great challenge so far and I have learned a great deal. My scene doesn't have millions of polys but I have to say that I am still very happy about the outcome. I guess the most detailed object is the crew. I think I achieved exactly the result I aimed for, through hard work though.

Yes, there certainly where drawbacks during this project:( One time the crew object got corrupted and I lost 3 hours work. I've noticed that sometimes surface baking can create problems. Also, during the posing of the creatures something happened. I had posed all the creatures, closed the scene, opened it again and all the bones were mixed together! But that was because of a "minor" mistake I made during the cloning. But this led to better scene in which the poses were better and I also created low poly creatures for the background to keep the count low.

-Tuomas

Old 01 January 2005   #40
Hey - nice final, congrats!

The colors and style makes it look a bit like a baroque painting, very nice

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 01 January 2005   #41
Thanks for comments again, they are still very welcome! I am now realizing that somethings should have been changed, but I guess I won't do changes as I have already stated that this is the final. I would have liked to remove the hatch as someone commented, that would have given more desperate feeling. Also, now I'd fix a bit the last mans pose too. I've learned so much again! Thanks!

Best regards,
-Tuomas

Old 01 January 2005   #42
Possible changes?

I am now considering whether I'll be doing minor changes as I have more time than I first estimated. I will then post a new final image. Those changes would be:

- removal of the hatch (to give more desperate feeling)
- Change the pose of the main character (it's good thing I have all the post effects in layers
- perhaps trying more different colour variations.

What are your feelings about these changes? Comments are valued!!!

Lets see if I do these changes...

-Tuomas

Old 01 January 2005   #43
Finaly somebody that have finished this bloody thing. Well done, and finaly have some rest after good job.

Old 01 January 2005   #44
Post Effects and Compositing: one step back...

I couldn't resist because I still have time... Here is another variation, a bit more darker and tweaked. I added also some noise but probably not visible in this web optimized image. Is this better than the previous? Comments?

-Tuomas
Spectacular
Master and Servant
Grand Space Opera

Old 01 January 2005   #45
the other was way better in my opinion.

also, i'd leave the hatch where it is. Even
with the gun the dude has just a slim chance
of getting in before losing at least an arm or
something

Thread Closed share thread