Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Wong Keet Mun

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2004   #16
hi keetmun..

it's hard to say something about signboards.. all depends on the main sense you are trying achieve.. but you have to consider few things..

1. including signboards you must decide what letters of the alphabet you'll use.. some real or invent your own.. real one will obviously identify a nationality of your civilization..

2. if you decide to use commercials it's better to use some neon-like lightings..

nice composition btw.. keep it up..
cheers..

Old 11 November 2004   #17
Thanks for the suggestions, GreenTek!

I'm trying to show a commercial district that has a lot of wear and tear, and looks generally pessimistic. Think 'Ghost in the Shell'y. My references include the streets of Hong Kong and Venice. Most of the signs would be in Chinese or Japanese, if I can get my hands on some Japanese software... I've still got lots to sort out.

Thanks again GreenTek!

Old 11 November 2004   #18
Originally Posted by keetmun: Oh yes...LCDs...Or even holograms! Got to consider that, thanks, senior!

dude, don't call me that.. I feel ancient.. like a dinosaur. dahahahahaa.

Old 11 November 2004   #19
I really like the last sketch, you have made a great progress, I think that a futurist touch but could be good, I am in agreement with adding LCD screens, it remembers to me the movie the fifth element or bladerunner!! keep the good work!!

Old 11 November 2004   #20
if you'll use Chinese or Japanese writings you have to use vertical signboards, LCD's or whatever.. for your composition they should suit extremely well and make strong vertical movement.. must look great..

Old 11 November 2004   #21
Originally Posted by dom: dude, don't call me that.. I feel ancient.. like a dinosaur. dahahahahaa.

you mean you're not? domosaurus

keetmun, nice work so far! i like the colour scheme you're going for keep the updates coming.

Old 11 November 2004   #22
Smooth-criminal - Thanks for the encouragement, could always use some once in a while. I love Blade Runner btw!

Greentek - I'm still working out the signboards, it's a rather important element of my illustration, but thanks for the positive words!

Dom and Yina - yep Dom's ancient, but he sure can't beat that yr 1, 43 yr old guy! He's a junior, but wait! He's a senior... Damn I'm bad...

Old 11 November 2004   #23
The Full Story

Ok I just realised I haven't been really clear about my concept even though I've posted some sketches, so I'll now explain the full story.

Quite simply - in the near future, humans have learnt to live in peace with other intellectual species on Earth. These include 'mermaid people' and certain intelligent robots. Some parts of human civilisation have undergone urban development, thus we have the buildings that look spanking new in the bg. Other parts of town, though, have resisted change, and maintain its relatively old architecture - the buildings in the foreground. However change IS taking place slowly...

The main theme of my illustration is 'new and old'. I want to convey this theme in a melancholic, slightly depressing way. People in town go about their daily routines, aware of others around them, but not really caring much. The people, just like the city itself, are being worn down slowly by the stresses of industrialisation and commercial commitments.

There you go - the concept properly explained.

Old 11 November 2004   #24
very beautifull idea and nice start on it's realization....

Old 11 November 2004   #25
Here's my concept for the boats in the river. The robot attached to the front drives the boat as the merchants do their thing.

Cheers people!

Old 11 November 2004   #26
DimitrisLiatsos - Thanks for the encouragement, feels good to have some from a veteran of so many cgchallenges!

Right now I'm sweating buckets of cold sweat over my poly count. I haven't even finished the boat and it already looks like i'm about to kill my processor. The pictures say it all... I'll try to bring down the count later on, but all help would greatly appreciated!

Cheers people

Old 11 November 2004   #27
very nice Wong Keet Mun..................I like the style and idea very much.You have a very nice start,and one I would like to see get to it's potential........Nice,keep this up,cheers to you....

Old 11 November 2004   #28
OMG...I think the fanboy in me just awakened. Really glad to hear from you Virtuoso! Really keeps me motivated.

Cheers!

Old 11 November 2004   #29
Interesting! I love what I see so far, keep the good work! Regarding the guy in the boat, I think (personal opinion) The hat should be more bended - soft looking, like right now is way too stiff,like is made out of metal, plastic, give it some curves...

Great job!
- cheers!

Old 11 November 2004   #30
hey, this seems to be very good, i hope you can all crazy with the detail and the textures, if you want some inpiration try to check the first movie "ghost in the shell" the bg there were amazin, and i think they may fit in this entry. and the robot, hmm it reminds me a little of the ones in the animatrix, i dont know why, but it's ok..

good luck!!

<°))))<
fishies

Thread Closed share thread