CGTalk > Sponsored Challenges and Awards > Past Challenges (Archives) > Older Challenges (before 2007) > CG Challenge XVI - Grand Space Opera - 3D
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #46
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Musical Composer / 3D / Gaming / L & NL Video Editing
Invisionary, llc.
North Palm, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Send a message via Yahoo to Aethyrprime
Exclamation

Thanks greentek, I think you may be on to something with that idea as well. My only concern might be misplaced. I know this should not be too character centric but the description of the challenge states that heroes and legends should be included. Something about the human element adds that I think. You know the brave soul who stayed behind... sacrificing themselves to save others knowing that their death is assured.

Do you think that by moving her more into the background would effect the directional cueing of her looking toward the spacecraft? It might actually help come to think of it, making it easier to say she is looking at it, not over her shoulder in the general direction of it.

Thanks for the suggestion hombre. I agree with you on the 3D placement being easier than sketching 20 more pictures to get it right . Your doing some fantastic things as well. I appreciate your input. More to come, I think solid 3D Modeling is in order, oh shoot I just remembered that I have yet to upload the frigate or capital ship sketches... brb...

Old 10-27-2004, 08:58 PM   #47
greentek
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Paul Gulianelli
Hillerød, Denmark

hi Richard.. you got me wrong.. im talking about that:

Last edited by greentek : 11-10-2004 at 12:59 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:02 PM   #48
greentek
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Paul Gulianelli
Hillerød, Denmark

sorry about posting pics in your thread.. i'll remove it at any time just tell me..
as you can see i even didnt find a place in composition for the gun turrets..
but this is just my point of you.. sure you must follow what you have i mind..
cheers..

correction: "point of you"^ = point of view..

Last edited by greentek : 10-27-2004 at 11:07 PM.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:40 PM   #49
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

No problem, I am a bit confused on what your intent was besides moving the girl over slightly. I was imagining the girl moved back to where the gun turret is and having the gun turret aiming the other direction and moved to where she is.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:52 PM   #50
Ddavis
Veteran

portfolio
Dustin Davis
Sr. Character Artist
SEGA
San Francisco, USA

Send a message via AIM to Ddavis
concepts are looking awesome, cant wait for the models

Old 10-27-2004, 11:34 PM   #51
greentek
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Paul Gulianelli
Hillerød, Denmark

nooooo... how may i suggest to move the girl back?! she is main character.. she has nothing to do on the background.. i just think you have to make her more distinguished.. she was lost on the dark background and a bit out of action on the very right..
damn.. my english kills me.. i hope you understand what im trying to tell..
cheers..

Old 10-27-2004, 11:40 PM   #52
WazaR
CG Guerillero

portfolio
Emanuel Wazar
Freelance MotionFX/3D Artist
Miami, United States

Intersting.

I get MATRIX, ALIEN 1&2, DARK CITY, CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, and META BARRON. (with a side oder of HEAVY METAL.)

Speaking about the composition there are a few things that worry me.

1. The ground seems a bit empty. There is so much activity in the air, yet on the ground it all seems so desolate.

2. What is the driving emotion of this image?? I find it hard to tell.

3. What is the purpose of the lady. What really is she doing. In a visual sense why should I care what she is doing. The whole image looks like a trip by your local comic book store. In its "gothic" style it is somewhat generic, and in so being makes it hard for the viewer to realate to whats going on.

4. Emtional connection. Burned teddy bears, cities destroied,... these are things that should worry me, and make me feel sorry for the people in this image. Yet I dont. Somehow you are not communicating the destruction directlly engouh.

5. Rawness. Be bold. If your going to include a ravaged playground might as well include the childern hurt by the firestorm. It hits hard, but I think its better then just "symboliclly" placing them there.

Good luck amigo.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:50 PM   #53
Tekano
Frequenter

portfolio
Rob Chapman
Softimage Artist
Freelance
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Tekano
i too am worried about the area immedietly behind the girl and the girl herself. maybe because she has a mask hiding her face, but such a figure should emit an emotion be that sorrow, regret, defiance whatever, but atm it is difficult for me to assertain what she is meant to be feeling. there is a slight passivity to her so perhaps you are trying to say that she has given up. but i would concentrate and trying to get her expression radiating what it is you want her to say. so that us simple folk can get her 'intuitively' good luck, this is not easy!

Old 10-28-2004, 03:19 AM   #54
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

Exclamation Response #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazaR
Intersting.

I get MATRIX, ALIEN 1&2, DARK CITY, CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK, and META BARRON. (with a side oder of HEAVY METAL.)

Speaking about the composition there are a few things that worry me.

1. The ground seems a bit empty. There is so much activity in the air, yet on the ground it all seems so desolate.
Thanks I think? Actually after sketching so many comps I just put in the key items in the last sketch to remind me of certain elements. I left out most of the junk which will be scattered. I assure you the ground will be littered with rubble, broken pieces of buildings, guns, armor, but I had to just say, ok, the sketch is close enough to what I want to get the idea. I must get the modeling done. The composition as greentek stated will present itself more as the 3D objects need to be placed in the scene.

Quote:
2. What is the driving emotion of this image?? I find it hard to tell.
The title is: "Sacrificial Exodus: The needs of the many"

There are a few things to be pointed out here: self-sacrifice is "noble", "selfless", "hopefu"l, "sorrowl", "pride".

Quote:
3. What is the purpose of the lady. What really is she doing. In a visual sense why should I care what she is doing.
She is protecting the ship flying overhead. She has sacrificed herself to protect the last of the survivors of the human race that she knows of attempting an escape in a stolen alien spacecraft leaving the the last of the cities on the moon, Luna.

I plan to have a tear drop trickling down her cheek very noticibly with anime style sparkle effects. Her body will be bloodied and her legs will both look badly wounded. I am not sure exactly what position I will put her in for the final yet to maximize the slumped over from exaustion effect. I know color would help this greatly, but for now...

Quote:
The whole image looks like a trip by your local comic book store. In its "gothic" style it is somewhat generic, and in so being makes it hard for the viewer to realate to whats going on.

Lol, considering all of these sketches were done on small 3.5 x 7 paper and I attempted to use no style at all, the detail is non-existant. If I allow myself to get to into the detail by drawing on larger paper I would waste too much time on something which will go to no other use than a "detailed sketch". I am staying away from colors at the moment to just focus on composition. I would do a very very detailed drawing, not a sketch of this if this were 2D challenge not 3D. In 3D all I need is schematics and compositional ideas.

Quote:
4. Emtional connection. Burned teddy bears, cities destroied,... these are things that should worry me, and make me feel sorry for the people in this image. Yet I dont. Somehow you are not communicating the destruction directlly engouh.
I think that seeing the ground and building which I did not draw into the last rendition due to time constraints would help you get this effect.

Quote:
5. Rawness. Be bold. If your going to include a ravaged playground might as well include the childern hurt by the firestorm. It hits hard, but I think its better then just "symboliclly" placing them there.

Good luck amigo.
I have been concerned to taking it too far. I had contemplated putting charred remains of children but I did not want to make anyone sick to their stomach and think I was going for a cheap gross factor. I will leave it up to you all, I had thought about it...

Ok everyone who pops in and out of here. What do you think, go for broke and put in the bodies of youngins or skip it and play it safe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekano
I too am worried about the area immedietly behind the girl and the girl herself. maybe because she has a mask hiding her face, but such a figure should emit an emotion be that sorrow, regret, defiance whatever, but atm it is difficult for me to assertain what she is meant to be feeling. there is a slight passivity to her so perhaps you are trying to say that she has given up. but i would concentrate and trying to get her expression radiating what it is you want her to say. so that us simple folk can get her 'intuitively' good luck, this is not easy!
You have the right idea of where I am going with this. I had originally drew this without the rebreather in this rendition. I added it as an afterthought. I will do a few detailed drawings of her face. She is the last major "model" sketch to be drawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentek
nooooo... how may i suggest to move the girl back?! she is main character.. she has nothing to do on the background.. i just think you have to make her more distinguished.. she was lost on the dark background and a bit out of action on the very right..
damn.. my english kills me.. i hope you understand what im trying to tell..
cheers..
I understand you loud and clearly now. Ok I will take that into consideration. Keep her close and make the face uncovered. Some worry lines on her forhead, tears, blood, bruises, yeah should work just fine.

Thanks for the kind words dDavis, and thanks to everyone for your input. More to come...

Last edited by Aethyrprime : 10-28-2004 at 03:21 AM. Reason: left out some details

Old 10-28-2004, 03:27 AM   #55
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

oh yeah and another thing, what about the broken monkey bars in the background, the burning teeter-tauter? I know its hard in a fast b&w sketch to tell something is on fire or broken but I assure you there will alot of damage.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:23 AM   #56
greentek
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Paul Gulianelli
Hillerød, Denmark

I love WazaR's healthy crits.. very motivational and makes me put some serious stuff in my thread asap.. but i cant disagree more about children hurt.. who likes watching children hurt can visit cnn website.. if you want to make people feel an aversion for your work freely put there some dead or demaged children..
this is my personal opinion..
cheers..

Old 10-28-2004, 05:14 PM   #57
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

I have to say I agree. I figured that putting the setting in a playground turned battleground with the remnants of burning things that denote children were playing here when the $hza hit the fan without blatantly putting one in there. People don't react as well to "shock" factor as they did in the past. I am sorry but watching people jump out the top of the twin towers is about all it took to really get me over shock factor and the news overseas with injured children on daily I don't want to go there. Thanks, greentek for reassuring me; imagery like that is not-needed to make my point.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM   #58
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

Cool While you wait for me to finish, some other art I am working on daily...

I have alot coming but I had to stop to finish some stuff for my company. I will post them up here:

Brochure-Earth-Layout-09-sm.jpg
Brochure-Air-Layout-12.jpg

Water & Fire are all I have left to finish before I can continue with the contest when I am done. Sorry for the delay, but I figured since its Mixed-Media 2D/3D I would post it here for the hell of it, *ps if I am not allowed to post it admins let me know I will take it down sorry if its not allowed.*

Last edited by Aethyrprime : 11-22-2004 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Changed image urls..

Old 10-30-2004, 02:09 PM   #59
greentek
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Paul Gulianelli
Hillerød, Denmark

welcome back Richard!

thats a nice stuff you are doing for your company.. its great when you can allow yourself dedicate all the time to the original ideas you have.. but its not always possible.. im father and husband myself and i have to bring home some livings.. so i now about that very well..

im waiting for your updates..
cheers and good luck in your job!

Old 10-30-2004, 02:59 PM   #60
Aethyrprime
Dead Man Walking

portfolio
Alaric LaBrie
Invisionary, llc.

Talking

Yeah but at least its something I enjoy. Practice for the challenge right?

Thread Closed share thread