Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Richard LaBrie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Hello Richard........................Very nice concepts.I prefer the original the most at this point.Your storyline is a good one,interesting take you have.I can see a trye struggle and emotional battle here.I also like the last vessel design.Nice start,and I wish you all the best.Until next time,keep at it hard................

10 October 2004
i think scene in museum with signboard is the best composition sketch.. just leave it as it was and keep there only one child with toy in the hand.. without closing up and any laser beam.. in my opinion new version is not as good as first one.. cheers..

10 October 2004
Ok I will try to refine the conceptual image as the process continues. It would be easier to skip the museum, however it is just so out of the box so to speak to make it a piece of history, I am just not happy with how it is being conveyed yet. Perhaps a few days of contemplation will shed light on the correct path, that and the popular vote will decide which composition to go with.

For now I have noticed that many of the best here are already to 3D modeling phazes, and although I don't want to short change my comp, I think it is important to just start getting things modeled.

The last two sketches I did at about 3am with about 4 1/2 hours of sleep prior. Its not my best by far, but a rough sketch is a rough sketch. I will do probrably 5-10 more comp sketches before I find that pivotal moment that captures the essence of the conflict. However I am noticing a split decision so far on the final comp...

To historicalize or not to historicalize, that is the question...

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Q-326 Drop Ship Perspective Sketch #1

Here is a more defined sketch of the drop ship. I am ready to begin modeling later tonight with first 3D Sketches to be posted tommorow.

10 October 2004
I am about to post up a sketch of the mobile gun turrets.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: L-2 Mobile Gun Turret - Iso-Right Sketch #1

Ok thats the last of the preliminary sketches to be done besides the capital ships in the background. On to modeling these bad boys.

10 October 2004
Got basic model of escape craft nearing completion. Will post tommorow.

10 October 2004
The plan is rounding out wonderfully Richard...................I like where you are headed,a solid foundation is vital in the end.Thats a very nice on the wicked side of things Gun turret.......Looking forward to your continued work and 3D models............

10 October 2004
oh yeah did I mention that all of these sketches since even the first one have been produced in a 4x7.5 inch sketch diary... I am sketching the alien frigate now... It is intense and bad ass, going to be fun to model... hehe

10 October 2004
really cool stuff Richard.. keep it up.. can't say more on the current stage.. can't wait to see development..
cheers..

10 October 2004
looking good...really like the drop ship sketch...good luck with the modeling

Ara's Flight - Short Film About the Armenian Genocide
www.arasflight.com

10 October 2004
yep look so good !

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Sacrificial Exodus: The Needs of the many...

This should be the last comp sketch I need to produce. I moved the setting out of the street and into a school play yard. Burning See-saws, mangled toys, cities in devastation seem to hit home. I turned the characters head towards the escaping vessel and aimed the vessel toward the camera away from the fight instead of toward it.

10 October 2004
Thanks for all the input guys, I have taken it all to heart. I don't want to be anti-climatic, or boring, so I decided that the museum setting might be better as a 2D entry. Not sure if I will go through with it yet, depends on how many hours of modeling this turns out to be. I know that the escaping craft needed to be closer to have more impact as a subject of interest and having her look in that direction draws your eye to it, implying what cannot be said in the final submission. I decided to take off the helmet and replace it with a rebreather for several reasons. I hope you all find this last comp satisfactory as the modeling has begun and I don't like working without a clear concept of the final piece. In a comp like this many elements will need to be modeled, rendered and composited so any amount of savings due to perspective of view is a great help. If this were an animation challenge I would not be granted such luxuries, but since it is still art, there is no sense in modeling thrusters to perfection if they will not be seen. Instead I will have more time to model the character, cities and elements which are foremost to the imagery. Please post up your impressions and critiques as I strive to produce the best I am capable of, and sometimes someone else can see the flaws that you cannot.

10 October 2004
WOW.. what the hell battle is going on out there.. great concept man.. definitely the best one.. you really did a great job while looking for the proper solution.. and you got it.. my hat off.. excellent composition.. but in my opinion you have to do one small but very important correction..
i urgently suggest you to replace the main character and gun turret.. move the girl to the center where now gun turret is and the gun turret to the right.. cos now she is a bit out of place.. but you can do this when you finish modeling.. it will be easier to find proper places for objects and final compositional layout in 3D environment i think..
anyway great work.. congrats Richard..
cheers..

Thread Closed share thread