Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Richard LaBrie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Really an interesting concept, and great sketches
jdd

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

10 October 2004
wow.. simply the coolest story.. i think you should write a book.. or make a movie..
and great idea with museum and children..
best of luck to you.. extremly interesting how you will figure it out..
cheers..

10 October 2004
Thanks, I have written one, but it has nothing to do with this :P

I am hoping to hit an epic feel by using softning filters and detailed blurring. I was wondering wether you think the museum with holographic display is the choice to go with?

Last edited by Aethyrprime : 10 October 2004 at 02:30 AM. Reason: oooops

10 October 2004
Hi,

I like your sketches and the overall theme you've got going. I'd only suggest that you don't loose the cool details by making them to small...i.e. the girl in the center. Anyway, keep those sketches coming and if you want my oppinion, I'd go with the original version w/out the galary. Setting the image in past tense actaully takes away from the impact unless there is an anomely that is occuring in the present as well...for instance, if they were looking at the exhibit and suddently were attacked by the people they thought they had defeated...hope that makes sense...either way, just my opinion...good luck

Ara's Flight - Short Film About the Armenian Genocide
www.arasflight.com

10 October 2004
honestly i dont know.. i still cant clearly form even my own idea all i can say is that if you'll decide to develop museum theme, in my opinion you have to remove from the foreground all this folk and keep only one child in front of holographic display.. this will give violent dramatic sence and wont distract attention from the main action.. and i think signboard is a great idea too and works just fine directly introducing viewer in the core of idea..
yeah.. i think its great and very original idea with museum/hologram/child being involved..

10 October 2004
Question

that is an interesting point.. I will ponder on it awhile and do a few more sketches to see what develops.

10 October 2004
Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by Aethyrprime : 11 November 2004 at 08:51 PM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Assassinate the heir of a legacy

This is a much faster sketch than the others (that makes 3 today alone) based on the suggestions you made HieSpike & greentek. I zoomed out a bit more over the shoulder with a laser on the kids head viewing the holograph. Like any better?

10 October 2004
you might want to do some research on composition... especcially rule of third and directing the viewers eye... the reason I say this is that your drawings seem a bit jumbled. I like your first concept of the battle scene.. but throwing it into a museum setting seems a little anti-climactic (boring).

10 October 2004
Arrow

The reason I posted the idea up is to see the course of thought through. I may do a dozen or more sketches of a piece until I find the right aspects I feel should be conveyed. The concept of setting it in a museum was to show a particular timeless aspect of war. How the thrills of today are the history of tommorow. In the last and most recent comp, I added an assassin offing the decendant of the character being depicted as a form of retribution for some ancient crime such as, his family has been shunned since discovery was made that the craft which escaped was from his ancestor... Now on the day most sacred he kills the only living decendant an innocent child, but his honor to be restored. :P I just dig ripples and webs.

10 October 2004
Cool

Thats all for today folks, day 2 of my submissions are uploaded. Tommorow I start on ship designs, and hopefully modeling within 24-48.

I will leave the composition alone for now since I have enough information to move on to detailing parts. I will leave the decision for the final comp in your (the community whom responds) capable hands. As you can tell I am very open to suggestion and appreciate all input. (*"need more input" -Johny 5)

10 October 2004
Hi ||) |V| |^|,

seems like quite a bit of deep thought has gone into the plot of this. my only crit at this stage is that the last composition does not have the 'epic' feel. the museum idea is good, to show a battle and then peace afterwards, and then intrigue with the assasin again... but I feel your latest composition is too tightly focused. ie pull back the 'camera' to capture some of what or where this museum is situated, perhaps having centuries old battle scars on the civilisation and surrounding area and areas of regrowth, also how the current society is / has coped with this prior battle. the opera theme to this challange dictates that it needs to be vast and of epic nature. So if you could show more how large or developed (or damaged) this society in the future is in with your image it would help.

10 October 2004
fantasic sketches!

hope to see some modelling soon, your entry has caught my interest ;p

ciao

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

10 October 2004
Thanks for the suggestions, however none of these comps are final! :P I am sure that as the modeling and scene building process ensues I will refine the composition per your suggestions till it is finite! For now expect some new designs relative to the things that must be modeled. I have the escape craft sketched out and after I take a dip in the pool I will draw one of the defense cannons. Not sure whether I should just go on a design spree or start modeling. Which would you rather me do?

More sketching or go straight to 3D? You decide.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Q-326 Dropship (Escape Craft)

This is a prototype design for the Escaping vessel in the comp carrying the last survivors of the human race...

It holds 20 people in the cargo bay plus 5 crew inthe cockpit. Dual Hydrogen Engines and quad sustained burst cannons on the sides...

Thread Closed share thread