Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Shaun Lupton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #16
Modeling: The Human Head WIP

Here is a head ive been working on the last couple days. I plan on having at least 12 human characters in a battle scene. This head will be used as the default head to create the others once its totally finished. I will show the other heads when I begin on them.

SEL

Old 10 October 2004   #17
Hi Shaun.............very nice start on the modeling of the armor,head gear and head models...............Your plan is a very interesting one.I like your armor style,it has a classic style and appearance.........Possibly with this being a space opera I was thinking you could give the armor a more out there look,something like in the recent Riddick movie?Seems more appropiate for this theme.......Ok thinking out loud here.I expect lots of very nice work here,and so far you are delivering as expected,keep it up,you are off to a classy start,and I will be checking up on you with each update,Until later ol" friend.............

Old 11 November 2004   #18
!!!

Hey Michael,

Thanks for the reply, it made me rethink a lot of things for this challenge. I will keep with the whole Atlantis theme, but only as a theme to create a galactic world, meaning it wont be earth that the scenerios I create will be from. I just liked the idea of a waterworld/futurama idea, so armor will go along those lines. I plan on creating hyper detailed armor once I get around to it, I sometimes get bored at one thing so I begin something new, as you will see with the new update, I created a character for the race that is attacking. So it is now human against alien species. It should make for an even better backdrop now. I will provide a few more concept sketches down the line when I get motivated to do them. This has been fun thus far. more to come..

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #19
Modeling: New Species Head Model - Color Test

This is the new race of species that the humanoids will be fighting against. I will have 3 types of alien type creatures that will be seen. This is one of them. It was created with the same head from the human character I finished a couple days back. I now have another 10 heads to go. THis is a texture color test of the model, it may change by the end. Enjoy!

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #20
heya

cool sketch, gives of a sense of struggle and mad panic to me.
modelling is great, I like the human heads you posted.

my thoughts on the alien head texture, I think it's a little too close to human skin, and he looks a little sun burnt at the moment, but i know it's a prelimenary draft ;p

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

Old 11 November 2004   #21
!!!

Hey Versiden,

glad you like the stuff. Yup, the alien head is just a quick texture that got worked in with photoshop for an idea. The final will probably look a lot more alienlike. More to come shortly.

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #22
Modeling: Tribesman -Model WIP armor!

Hey all,

this is where im at with the alien armor wip. Im planning on adding tons more armor and detail to it, hopefully next update. Im using samuri and knighthood armor, along with futuristic reference, on future update. Enjoy..

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #23
that armoured alien looks nice, but isn't the head slightly too big, compared to his thin arms ?

Old 11 November 2004   #24
Arrow

I love the idea of Atlantis having been a technologically advanced society. Maybe dropships in the background would help show that they are interacting with aliens...

Old 11 November 2004   #25
!!!

azazel - yeah, they are a little skinny, but thats sort of the plan, as the hands will be big, though looking at it again, I may put some more mass onto them as I have not spent much time with that part as of yet. I should probably elongate them too.. Thanks for the feedback.

TiTaNiuM sAMuRa - Good point, I need to sit down and write a distinctive story about my idea. I was pretty vague in the begining. Ive decided to use an Atlantis themed idea, but have the scene occur on a planet that I have not made a name for yet. More of a star wars type of civilization taken in a waterworld type of atmosphere, with hints of history and beauty through movements of the body through posing and colors as rich as a Michelangelo painting. That is the idea. I will write a story to go along with the idea and put it in the front page soon after.

Thanks for all the feedback and critiques folks, more to come shortly..

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #26
Excellent original concept sketch. The models are looking great too. I really like the idea of mixing old and new in the final image, especially you're reference to Michelangelo. As other comments on Art history... I think the final image would look great as a huge Rennaissance piece, with colour and grandeur to match. Maybe you could add some nods to some famous works of art, not directly, but just enough to show where you're inspiration lies?

Best of Luck.

Work hard.... Play soft

Old 11 November 2004   #27
!!!

cgchris,

hey there, thanks for the kind comments anf glad you see my vision a little clearer, though I still have a long ways to go, this should be great when complete. I will have hand gestures like of a renaisance painting and poses as well. Colors with lighting will be the hardest part for this piece, so when I get to that, I may spend more time to try to get the right feeling needed to pull off a painting/michelangelo effect. I hope to add another update tonight. More to ocme..

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #28
Modeling: Latest Alien Mercenery Update BODY

Here is the latest Update, minimal, but enough to call it a day. Im trying to work a little bit every day so I can complete this challenge. I hope you like the latest update. More to come tommarrow.

SEL

Old 11 November 2004   #29
Wow that is some awesom tight modeling there. What did you say you are using to do that?? Your organic modeling is supurb. I also like the classical painting feel of your composition.
Keep it up!

grand space opera - go on click it dammit!!!
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=181025

Old 11 November 2004   #30
Cool

Excellent work!
Hope to see the other stages!
M&S 3D (3rd Ru.. Up) Hi-Res l Detail l WIP
Journey 2D unfinished

Thread Closed share thread