Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Adam Benton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Modeling: Modeling Alien Character - perspective lit

A perspective screen render of the model thus far - not much more to do in the polys now really I think - just need to bone it and map it. I don't know whether to keep the form smooth and simple or to add some sub poly displaced skin and wrinkles.

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
Hmm - no one like this addition/direction then?, or just think it's a crap model?

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
Well, since you ask - there's nothing wrong with the modeling here... maybe the legs stand out as lacking details compared to the head and upper torso... but mainly I would say that the overall design as such isn't frightfully interesting. Basically a rather standard alien pretty close to the so called 'grey' type.

*ahem* in conclusion - IMHO, I don't feel it Can't speak for anyone else of course

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

10 October 2004
Adam, sorry for not replying sooner, just got the e-mail. Been greebling ever since I came home from work , dead tierd now.

Alien looks wondeful. Only suggestion would be the waist area. I don't know what, but perhaps making it a little wider. What are your texturing plans? Displacement for details?

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Well, since you ask - there's nothing wrong with the modeling here... maybe the legs stand out as lacking details compared to the head and upper torso... but mainly I would say that the overall design as such isn't frightfully interesting. Basically a rather standard alien pretty close to the so called 'grey' type.

*ahem* in conclusion - IMHO, I don't feel it Can't speak for anyone else of course

- thanks for your honesty James! - Yeah - I probably need more detail in the lower body really. It is meant to be a 'grey' type alien - I felt it made my concept more interesting - the premise that they have been around many civilisations for years and have been not only the seed of many a myth, but maybe even the seed of the races themselves! - maybe it's a less profound idea now, or just made unbearable and overdone with the likes of the X-Files!? - lol

Here (next post) was a quick paste up of the character close up in the foreground with basic bones (baaaad deformations at the moment!) over the previous sketch - the grey is gesturing to the character (you as the viewer) that this is your new world, take care of it!

hmmm - maybe I don't feel it either ... I think I'll just get on with the environment and ship modeling for now.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: concept development

Sketch with added, roughly posed character - probably abandoned this, but posted for thread clarity.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2004
wow, your scene development is interesting! i´d get rid of the visible lightbeams, though.

10 October 2004
Adam, you sly dog you, how dare you not announce your participation in this competition. Just stumbled across your thread. Subscribed. BTW, I think all is going well. Not much more to add than what's already been said. I agree with James about the alien, pretty standard sci-fi fare there, but very well done none the less.

10 October 2004
Sorry Adam, sort of feel the same way as James, although I appreciate where you're trying to go with the concept the figure is just a bit too clichè for me too, the rest of the scene I still find as good as I did before, although I agree with sad about those visible lights too.

10 October 2004
Good solid working, but somehow it reminds my of ID4, the scenes where Smith and Goldblum enter the alien mothership, it also featured a tunnellike construction with an more open area behind, and several ships preparing to depart and what looked like millions of aliens preparing to invade and slaughter us poor humans.

I know it is not the case and the idea behind it is actually a good one. But you might get the impression.

10 October 2004
Adam... sorry from my last post in your thred I didn't recieve any mail... so I discovered today that you are far away with your work.

Well... Alien model like how is is I like it really, wonderful modelling, but to be honest I found that the alien design style is not really compatible with the rest of the scene. The alien looks like a 40's model and your scene is look like a tipical 70's/80's style... Hope that with my english waht I mean is possible to understand.

In your last compositions I found great the figure in first plan and the space developping on the background. The pose of the actual alien is relly great and I love it really just I askin' my self how it will be with a futuristic soldier or another figure style...

This some impressions... jdd

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

10 October 2004
i like the scene very mutch especially (is that correct english ?? )
the scale and huge crowds gives it a eppic feeling it think.

but sadly i have to agree with the rest of the reactions on the alien, it looks a bit standard
like i have seen it before
although don't get me wrong i wish i could 3D model like that

but keep it going like your ideas

10 October 2004
i think if u redo the alien ull end up witch quite a nice scene

10 October 2004
I agree about the alien being a very standard Roswell alien so you might wanna rethink that concept (if you decide to have any aliens at all in the scene - it looks like you want it to be dominated by technology/structures anyway so maybe they aren't even necessary?).

I also agree about the visible light. They way it is now it gives the impression of some sort of natural light (daylight, perhaps) streaming through cracks or openings, which in turn indicates that the "ceiling" or hull of the construction is very, very thin. It clashes a bit with the rest of the scene. I like the idea of the light beams, just not their origins.

How about some smaller vessels hovering in the air above the crowd and the light coming from them? The constructure is certainly big enough to hold them!

/Anders

10 October 2004
The overall scene and concept is still great and has huge potential - so don't let this alien thing stop you from developing everything else, dude! On your bike and get busy

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Thread Closed share thread