Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Adam Benton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #31
all your concepts look great. your latest kinda has a matrix feel to it for some reason

good luck

Old 10 October 2004   #32
Yet more thanks guys!

I have decided to really up the scale now!! - I had been toying with the space colony/cylinder habitat as another option (always has been a favourite theme in sc--fi for me!) and since I like the idea of the cylinder motership, the ideas will merge and this is going to become a travelling colony (with landscape!) arriving at it's destination world after a journey of centuries!

superlayer - thanks! - I am not sure what you mean when you say 'color like that' !?
These are 3D sketches - quickly modeled forms (in Cinema 4D) that I have used a tiled texture map on, and a couple of coloured lights to help decide on feel and tonal composition. I don't know if that clarifies any!?

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2004   #33
Originally Posted by kromekat: Yet more thanks guys!

I have decided to really up the scale now!! - I had been toying with the space colony/cylinder habitat as another option (always has been a favourite theme in sc--fi for me!) and since I like the idea of the cylinder motership, the ideas will merge and this is going to become a travelling colony (with landscape!) arriving at it's destination world after a journey of centuries!

Rama ?? (and now a space filler )

Old 10 October 2004   #34
Originally Posted by flyingP: Rama ?? (and now a space filler )

? - don't like that idea? - sure, there was Rama, Eon, the guild ships in Dune, that strange cylinder in Star Trek : The Voyage Home; and then in science fact, there have been many concepts for space colonies based in cylinders, so it's not wholely original (is that possible?) but I am not trying to recreate any of these - I simply want to make the scale of the cylinder more vast, and if we are to assume that beings have inhabited this place for any amount of time (other than in cryosleep) then it's fair to assume they'd want/need a habitat to exist in, and to maintain them and other species on the trip!? - this could truly be an ark in the biblical sense, but lets face it, to carry that many species, it would need to be huge!

Anybody have any thoughts to help out here?

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2004   #35
The ark theme is of course common in Sci-fi as well as other genres. I wouldn't see it as a problem here, rather an archetypical source of inspiration - - - hell, even Douglas Adams had a great interpretation of the whole ark thing in HHGTTG... Just make it your own civilisation and exodus, and you'll be fine.

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2004   #36
I don't think the cylinder will be a problem as it's a quite natural shape for life in space (like the earth cut in half and seen from an isometric view). It can hold gravity as well as allow for various habitats along its surface. It has been done before, of course, but frankly I have yet to see a truly original vision of a sci-fi scene or construction, with the Borg cube as an exception (there's no friction in space, yet we insist on constructing spaceships with very areodynamical shapes).

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #37
Yeah I think it's workable - at the end of the day, it's a concept that has been discussed and described in literature a few times, but I have yet to see it illustrated convincingly, apart from a few great paintings from the NASA concepts, which I 'think' Syd Mead himself may have done some of at some point?!?
I am not sure that I will pull it off, but it's a challenge afterall, and if I don't, I can always take a step back to this smaller concept!

I agree about the aerodynamics too Anders!

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2004   #38
Between the concept sketches of the giant spaceship overhead and the interior of the spaceship with the crowds of people - *definitely* go with the second. It's much more distinctive and has more of a sense of wonder. The image of the ship overhead has the same potential in the abstract, but I think it's a concept that's been used often enough to desensitize people.

The crowds of people remind me of one of my favourite SF artists, John Harris. There's very little of his work available on the web, but here's one link in case you don't know him:

http://images.budplant.com/products/full/4625.jpg

Old 10 October 2004   #39
I'll second Teapot-7's suggestion. The concept is good and with a great environment (cityscape) in the foreground and a HUGE ship with massive details overhead (also slightly in the haze due to the viewing distance) it would become epic.

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

Old 10 October 2004   #40
Thanks guys - although you are talking at cross purposes! - ARGHH! - which one!?

Teapot-7 - I agree - this IS the direction I am going in, but with additional scale and an extension of plot and a foreground character of which I will post my modeling progress later...

Basically - A non [deep] space fairing civilisation (not unlike our own) has been rescued from their dying world by a higher intelligence; a race of (familiar in our folklore) ancient beings who can travel at speeds beyond light. These beings have intervened, nurtured, and witnessed the events of many civilisations over many tens of thousands of years, indeed, they may even have seeded many of them. Despite their technology and speed, it would still take many years to reach inhabitable planets, and suitable habitats would naturally be constructed for the duration of the trip to transport the civilisations, their crops, plants and other species from their world.

In the scene I am going to portray (based on the existing concept), the rescued civilisation will either be arriving at their new home world, or boarding the vast 'ark' mothershp on the beginning of their long trip. The world in either case will be seen through the open end of the cylinder.

I just cant quite decide which plot to take - it doesn't effect the image too much other than whether the planet looks like it's in decay. or a healthy virgin globe!

If there is time, and I am aloud to do both !?!? - I will also have a go at the orbiting ship and city

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2004   #41
Hmm... each one of those ideas require heaps of work, so I wouldn't try to do both... They both have great potential as well - so, well, good luck making your mind up Did anybody mention that the clock is ticking?

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Old 10 October 2004   #42
Arrow Hey Adam

Hey Adam!

Don't we have a certain movie to finish first?

/Z

Old 10 October 2004   #43
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Hmm... each one of those ideas require heaps of work, so I wouldn't try to do both... They both have great potential as well - so, well, good luck making your mind up Did anybody mention that the clock is ticking?

Thanks James - well I know, I always start out ambitious, and then have to scale it down! - I am going with my last concept!

Quote: Hey Adam!

Don't we have a certain movie to finish first?

/Z

Oh no - I have been Zapped - what a world..what a world... I'm melting....

Zap! - Yes.. We do have a film to finish, and I have a couple of shots to get done this month... I am going back to the castle now master...

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Old 10 October 2004   #44
Heh

And the whip goes KRAK!

...actually...

...I was pondering entering myself, but I suck at modelling in 3d (i'm the rendering guy, not the modelling guy) and my computer painting techniques...well... can we enter using watercolor? Then no problem.

/Z

Old 10 October 2004   #45
Modeling: Modeling - Alien Character

I started messing with this form a week or so ago, and have decided to incorporate the character into my latest concept (see previous post description!)
I have been refining and getting the modeling closer to the final form over the last few days.
Here are some elevation views.

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

Thread Closed share thread