Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Eric Claeys

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Well it's not the most original concept, but it could look excellent. My only critique at the moment : your ship looks a little like a chainsaw right now. Might look just fine after it's textured w/ windows, details & the like, though. Keep up the pace.

10 October 2004
The concept sketch looks cool. The ship design has a nice feel to it as well. I'd love to see some surface detail on the smooth outer shells of the ship. Can't wait to see more detailed demon designs as you flesh them out!

Wes III
""A picture is a poem without words." -Horace BC 65-8, Italian Poet
www.grandmontstudio.com

10 October 2004
cool concept.. modelling looking gr8 so far.

looking forward to see the monster modelled.

THE HEIST // SPECTACULAR 3D
WISH LIST // MASTER AND SERVANT CHALLENGE

10 October 2004
I love the demonic portal idea. That really stands apart from the norm, modeling looks good so far. I'm not sure if you've fixed the image aspect ration but i would suggest a wide anamorphic view, it'll look very good with the horizontal motions you have in your last concept.

Cheers.

-dom

10 October 2004
I just love that scout ship!

10 October 2004
I know it's still early, but can we see a wireframe? Your modeling expertise is very sound, do you work professionally as a modeler?

10 October 2004
I just wanted to say ,your scoutship designs are simply sumptuous, Your use of varied rectalinear and organic form is wonderful and fits well with the clean metallic look youve picked for them. WHat modelling methodology did you use for these? May I ask what your reasoning for doing the texturing and rendering in Maya but not the modelling is?
-Anton
We do not suffer bad Chinese Food
There shall be a reckoning

10 October 2004
HA HA, cool monster I like it. Looks like a ton of fun. and you ship looks like it's comming along really fast. good luck!

10 October 2004
Yo Eric, whats up! It's Kevin from school congrats on the job and all. This model looks great as always, can't wait to see the rest put together.

10 October 2004
Honestly I like the chaos dimesion idea better than the other! Modeling looks great! Keep it up and good luck!

10 October 2004
Modeling: Scout ship update

Another update - starting on the engine. I'll add more detail as soon as I finish blocking it in. It's all in nurbs at the moment, but I think I should be able to limit my polygon count enough.

Dom: I agree, I think the final image will be pretty wide.

Hie Spike: I'll have some wireframes eventually. ;) I work professionally as an illustrator - I guess most of my 3D stuff is a hobby. (for now...)

Xeniusascendant: I didn't really have a 'methodology' to my modeling - just that I wanted something that looked reasonably fast and not too bulky - hence the exposed internal details. I am using rhino only because it is the first modeling program I learned and I have far more experience in it than Maya. I am learning Maya and intend to use for modeling in the future. The reason I am texturing, rendering, and special effects in Maya is because rhino is extremely limited in those departments.

Lord Sphere: Hopefully it will look less like a chainsaw when I am finished. ;P

Good luck on your entry Kevin.

Thanks for all the comments!

10 October 2004
excellent ship design.. looking extremely cool.. it deffinitely needs proper environment..
good luck Eric..

10 October 2004
Wow! great modeling. very clean lines and appealing proportions. The "nacels" or thrusters are awfully treky but it's hard to escape all likeness to what inspires us.

The worm hole/gateway to an evil dimension is great. that would make an epic sci-fi novel cover.

10 October 2004
Well, eric, what can I say? Your models are excellent, as usual. what kind of textures are you gonna put on them?

10 October 2004
great job yet... beautiful model I imagine the quality that will follow...

Thread Closed share thread