Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Marcin Kurczewski

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Cool. I like the sails on the initial ship. They remind me of outriggers on a canoe. More!

10 October 2004
When lady says "more"- how can I refuse ?. Your wish is an order, M'am

11 November 2004
Texturing: Flying galera - base textures

I know it is a bit early to start texturing (there is still plenty of modeling to be done) but texturing damaged ship would be a nightmare with all dislocated elements so I've decided to prepair at least main materials and having all of them set up take care about explosions.

11 November 2004
Sweet, it really have a great style in the sky... looking forward to see the others elements , keep it up mate !

11 November 2004
Modeling: Flying galera- canon test

Inbetween modeling damaged galera and painting winning one I wanted to take a look at cannon salvo effect. Here is first attempt- I think that with fire added and a bit reduced space between side of the ship and dense smoke it should make proper impression.

01 January 2005
Modeling: Composition test

It's been a while... After playing with original idea for some time I get bored with it- after all whats so special in fighting ships ? Then strange tought appeared- ok, I got flying ships for one side of conflict- why other side should not fly on fishes (whales in that case). I quickly modeled a whale, added some kind of harness to it and tried assembling- works perfectly and allows me for another- not typical for "huge stories" wide, horizontical composition. I got little time and a lot to do (I got all elements textured but from that to ready scene long way) so it will be tough and even if I'll finish I'll be probably too far from original idea of contest anyway but- hey- it's so much fun to play with new ideas- I can not resist it when making something just for my own pleasure(suffering very strict rules at work).

01 January 2005
Talking

Flying whales are always a tentation! Been there (mine are eyeless and have back flippers, but anyway)... The tail looks a little bit small, you might want to scale it a bit. Good work, and I know it's late but, excellent scketches!

DOMINANCE WAR IV

DOMINANCE WAR V

01 January 2005
Lighting: Composition test2

Just average daylight to test assembly of ships (without whales for a while :)) I am not glad with particles and fire burning inside broken ship is not visible. I re-designed ships a bit, I guess I got to work on textures to make them look different.

01 January 2005
Lighting: Composition test 3

Another one, this time only with primary lights and ambient- all fill ups are switched off. I believe that's direction in which I'll try to go, maybe with a lightsource behind sails to give it bit more drama.

01 January 2005
Lighting: Composition test 4

Scene still looks a bit too happy but at least all details are visible. Tempus fugit so I'll rather leave playing with colours to postproduction phase and finalize environment (as well as whales texturing).

01 January 2005
I am sorry to say it but my "bread and butter" work kept me occupied - I got to fly a white flag. Thanks for support and see you next time. It's been a pleasure to participate in this contest.

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread