Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Marcin Kurczewski

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Marcin Kurczewski

Marcin Kurczewski has entered the Grand Space Opera 3D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Lighting: Composition test 4

Scene still looks a bit too happy but at least all details are visible. Tempus fugit so I'll rather leave playing with colours to postproduction phase and finalize environment (as well as whales texturing).

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Flying galera design- first attempt

Greetings to all of You. I am a bit bored with "super high tech hyper" theme so I've decided to go for a bit more archaic approach. Flying ships- sure, but I want them to have look and feel of Venetian galera's from XIV-XVII c. That moves me towards Lepanto battle but- to avoid jumping into politics- let it be a planet Lepanto Secundus where two mighty armadas... blah blah blah.

Last edited by RKurczewski : 10 October 2004 at 11:39 AM.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Flying galera design- profile

Here's updated version of main ship's body- of course they will all vary but I got to start from something so why not fom main ship in scene. I tried to blend two styles- modern, kind of organic and old one, based on blueprints of sail ships. I am not sure about materials but- hey, there is still some time left ;).

10 October 2004
witam RK,
pomysl bardzo fajny, w koncu jakas odmiana tej s-f papki. zapowiada sie bardzo ciekawie. trzymam kciuki!

10 October 2004
Wielkie dzięki (nie wiem czy nie opieprzą nas za używanie języka niepowszechnego).

thank's for all, mate, I'll do my best.

10 October 2004
hey _RK_

this ship looks absulotely nice, how are you?.

keep going this is nice ship i want to see its world.

10 October 2004
I am well, thank You very much. I've came back from UAE to Poland half a year ago and so far I just can't get enough of rain Anyway- I am glad to be here with all guys again- chalenges here do have wonderfull atmosphere.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Flying galera design- front

Yeah, I am getting sucked into it- it's a nice feeling when You feel that You already know how it should look like and You draw and discover new details. Most pleasant part I guess...

Of course drawing is a mirror but I hope it is not a huge crime- drawing the same once again would make sense in ilustration but that one is just a blueprint so I think I'll leave it as it is.

Last edited by RKurczewski : 10 October 2004 at 08:57 PM.

10 October 2004
opieprza lub nie, trzymam kciuki za ciebie bo concepty sa super ! : )
-TommyS

10 October 2004
I really like that your ship design isn't the typical lofted cube I'm used to seeing in 3d space-type work.

10 October 2004
I'm glad You like it. Now I'll jump into modeling for a moment, then- having sample ship ready I'll try setting up a shot and then go back to design of environment. What I have in mind are two such a ships fighting side to side, with ropes and hooks connecting them, canons shooting etc. and everything over green tropical jungle and on a clear blue sky. Probably I'll try some explosion effects on one from the ships but - honestly speaking- I am bit affraid of it, not because of problems with flames and smoke but because of necessity of showing interior of ripped of ship. Anyway- we will see. Thanks for all comments and good luck to all of You, guys.

10 October 2004
I love your idea and that a little bit ancient approach. Can't await to see first renders... It's gonna be huge!

10 October 2004
very nice and original, you sketch looks like a DaVinci Concept, it's amazing, it'll be fun to see more, keep working

10 October 2004
wow!!

Really nice sketchs!! I like a lot that ancient felling ..... I'll be looking to your evolution ...

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: Flying galera- layout composition concept

Thanks for all comments guys- it helps a lot.

Before I'll dive into modeling details I wanted to check if my idea of composition will play well with shapes like that so I've modeled quick dummy of ship's body, duplicated it and arranged into position in which I want to have two main ships in the scene. Then I've changed camera to 20 mm one to get longer shots and played around for a moment to see what possibilities are there. Right now I am in doubt choosing between 2nd and 4th option- 2nd gives opportunity of displaying explosion of "falling down" ship, on the other hand in shot 4 winner of this duel will look more "heroic" with bow and galion high abowe point of view. Other two are not bad as such but I do not think they are proper for that type of ilustration- 1 allows to show entire scene in detail but lacks "movement"- is very horizontical and kind of boring, 3rd- although quite nice and dynamic - does not allow to show off all details of ships. I guess I'll have to do it once again with sails on.

Thread Closed share thread