Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Brian J. Read

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #31
@PreatORiAn: exactly

@Olli: yeah I've been running over a lot of Baxters stuff in my head too. Good luck with the Olympian challenge all the same.

@Virtuoso: back at you, I am expecting more massive poly counts

@Atwooki: still got a bit of learning to do with that tool box especially If I get zbrush into this, but like I said to you before this is a good excuse to sit down and find out how things work.

cheers to all the rest of you too, really can't wait to see the stuff that gets produced in here, let it be fun

Old 10 October 2004   #32
OK so it starts

I'm sort of half way through sketching / thinking but I thought make a start on thinking the story line through too

anyway first concept, bit cliché but what the hell

home world Tobas of the Dorlan (names may well change)
The Dorlan race was one of the very first to expand into space, originally very aggressive taking what they found by other civilisations (who were thereafter eradicated..... they thought) and using it to help accelerate the expansion.
That was in the begging, 3 thousand years ago, now the Dorlan have become complacent/decadent their expansion slowed to the point of stopping, it has been long since battles have been fought and their fleet has been mothballed or dismantled..... but then space is big, 3,000 years later the remnants of those once crushed had found other expanses and have grown without the knowledge of the Dorlan they're strong, the haven't forgotten....and they're back

I'm sort of thinking of showing a scene of the first surprise attack on Tobas the Dorlan homeworld, at the moment I sort of see a huge monument to the earlier Dorlan conquests, in a cityscape, being hit by fire from space....with the odd small ship buzzing around trying to escape. I was also thinking of a large red sun in the background with some sort of ring around it also being attacked nothing fancy just want to show that this is a highly advanced technological civilisation that has expanded into space

and I have no idea if I'll be able to finish this (never tried anything like this).....gonna be fun trying though.

let me know if you think it's stupid

Old 10 October 2004   #33
For the storyline, I vote 'not stupid'

Seriously, it's got great potential - particularly the "monument engulfed in enemy fire" might very well turn out epic/archetypical in a grand way.... Go ahead, I say!

Make sure to include some actual mothballs too, I'd like to see that

EDIT - Oh, and you've just breached the 1000-views barrier... Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the pressure

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

Last edited by JamesMK : 10 October 2004 at 08:55 AM.

Old 10 October 2004   #34
Originally Posted by JamesMK: For the storyline, I vote 'not stupid'

Seriously, it's got great potential - particularly the "monument engulfed in enemy fire" might very well turn out epic/archetypical in a grand way.... Go ahead, I say!

Make sure to include some actual mothballs too, I'd like to see that

EDIT - Oh, and you've just breached the 1000-views barrier... Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel the pressure

bastard
and I am not sure if you'd see zhe moth balls they're pretty small things James

Old 10 October 2004   #35
Originally Posted by flyingP: and I am not sure if you'd see zhe moth balls they're pretty small things

Yeah, but grand space opera mothballs are HUGE!

xenomata

Old 10 October 2004   #36
Originally Posted by JamesMK: Yeah, but grand space opera mothballs are HUGE!

and do a cutesy song and dance at the end of the movie right............

Old 10 October 2004   #37
Sounds like a perfect idea, especially the blasts from above!

I have no doubt you'll manage to pull this off

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources" - Albert Einstein

Old 10 October 2004   #38
This is going to be so cool to follow!

/Anders

Old 10 October 2004   #39
Howdy

I'll will be watching this one....good luck for this, mate!

Old 10 October 2004   #40
nice story

good luck ...

[my M&S thread] [my alienware entry] [my Machineflesh entry ] [dahoom family (__)]

Old 10 October 2004   #41
Concept Sketch: concept 1 sketch

Like I said a start, and I'm not completely sure if I'll stay with it.
Assuming I do then I'm also still not too clear on the composition although I'd quite like to concentrate on the fleeing ship which is why I've cropped the monuments hands at the moment.

Anyway let me have it :D

Old 10 October 2004   #42
nice piggy ! cant w8 to see rest!

Concept designer

Old 10 October 2004   #43
Whoa... Not unexpectedly, it looks really good. Love the tilted camera and the dynamics of the monument... The only crit I can think of is that the ship in the mid-right part could perhaps look a little more menacing (assuming it's one of the attacking vessels of course)..

....bastard.....

xenomata

Old 10 October 2004   #44
Originally Posted by JamesMK: (assuming it's one of the attacking vessels of course)..

nope it's supposed to be one of those trying to get away

Old 10 October 2004   #45
Originally Posted by flyingP: nope it's supposed to be one of those trying to get away

Oh, my apololologies Then it's perfect just the way it is, that is, not menacing.

xenomata

Thread Closed share thread