Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: James Kaufeldt

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
flyingP - Hey, it's a 466 MHz OK? ......pocket calculator... yea-yea-yea.... hah!

Russel_Nash - Ah, well, you will soon notice that you actually COULD have waited for the first concepts.... You wouldn't mind at all....

superlayer - We'll see how things go....

Eyad - Right back at'ya!

adr - It will get there eventually... not today though

---------------------------------------------

OK, the much dreaded SKETCH MILESTONE coming up in the post below. Put on your peril-sensitive glasses, sit down, grab on to something and hold your breath........ *omg omg omg*

xenomata

Be indiscreet - do it continuously.

10 October 2004
Concept Sketch: First sketch

Unfortunately I still can't paint.... Aside from that, this serves as the Concept Sketch milestone. (Don't worry, the nausea will settle in a few minutes).

This is what I'm considering right now, though it apparently needs a much more clear colour perspective and a bunch of other things - things that will become more understandable as soon as I enter the third dimension.

What you're looking at is the action-packed background (huh?) along with Lord Panzerpants and his trusty battledroid in the foreground. The final POV will most likely change quite a bit, but this will have to do for now.

xenomata

Last edited by JamesMK : 10 October 2004 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

10 October 2004

just out of curiosity too what have you painted that with wabbit

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by flyingP:
just out of curiosity too what have you painted that with wabbit

A wet sock and a bar of soap.

No, seriously though, it's painted with a neat little app called ArtRage (google it) and my trusty old mouse. Someone who actually can paint would probably make some stunning stuff with that program, which incidently happens to be freeware as well.

xenomata

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by JamesMK: A wet sock and a bar of soap.

works better than you would think

10 October 2004
Interesting stuff man... I think you should try getting the sketch a little bit more detail, so people that look for details (like me) can talk more about the picture.

All I can say about the sketch is that looks very dramatic :\

10 October 2004
I'm totally with you there, ARSA - even though I will not do anything further with that particular painting, there will be more sketches showing partial details later on... I usually work through it in this order - rough blocking/composition first, then separate detail sketches for the involved objects before moving on to the actual modeling.... So, hang in there more to come...

xenomata

10 October 2004
Hey James................ I can see very easily where you are headed.The sense I get is a very dramatic fierce and intense battle.Large in scope.I like the character ideas,the angles,the BG that goes with them.The whole scene carries alot of weight..................

My only comment on the help front would be to possibly move the characters just a bit to the center of the picture,as of now the building to the far right looks to be partially growing out of Lord Panzerpants head.......Just a slight crit and tip.Other than that I see epic battle scene in the making with a grand scale written all over it..............

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by Virtuoso: possibly move the characters just a bit to the center of the picture,as of now the building to the far right looks to be partially growing out of Lord Panzerpants head.......Just a slight crit and tip.Other than that I see epic battle scene in the making with a grand scale written all over it..............

Ah, much appreciated pointer! Although a building in his head strikes me as rather interesting, it's not what I had in mind this time (shocker!) - I'll make sure to rearrange that when the time comes

Sidenote: Haven't found your thread yet, Virtuoso... You ARE going to enter, yes?

xenomata

10 October 2004
Heh!!! Hey hello all here! I'm new, just wanted to say that theese are the best sketches around and cool story line too... Keep it comming and good luck!

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by GaNNEl: just wanted to say that theese are the best sketches around

I truly appreciate your comments, and welcome to my thread - but you REALLY should check around in the other threads as well, because these are much closer the the WORST sketches around Have fun and welcome back!

xenomata

10 October 2004
Talking

wet sock ey..... /me has and idea )

Concept designer

10 October 2004
hey JamesMK! still like the free softwares things eh? You still have the heart of a good ol' blenderhead! hehe

Keep it up dude! Can't wait to see your stuff in 3d!

I might aswell enter soon, just need a good idea and a bit of free time

10 October 2004
ahh the virtues of being a cg'er. TIME = No job!

10 October 2004
Great story ... (why don't they just install the newer CPU in another location, and switch between them instantaneously ? ... oh ... i know ... because there wouldn't be any battle left .... )... that was just something that striked me as i was reading the story ... it's no big deal .... the image is all that matters....
So, looking forward in seeing images to depict the original story... i'm kinda' tired of huge battles and huge spaceships gathered in a huge fleet... it's too common...

Good luck and keep it up !!! ... u've got something there and i really think (hope) you (anyone) won't be judged by the concept sketch

PS: why did u choose such a ... horrible ... name as panzerpants ?

Last edited by Zeratull : 10 October 2004 at 03:03 AM. Reason: remembered something to add

Thread Closed share thread