Grand Space Opera Challenge FAQ / Questions / Answers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2004   #31
licenses

Hi everybody!

I'm new here, and would like to take part in this cool competition. But I need to know if can use a trial version of the software, downloaded from the producer's site(e.g. max 6 or 7)? If commercial licenses are required, I will only watch this challenge

Nevertheless, I'm happy to enter this forum!

Old 10 October 2004   #32
Lets pretend i was to do something straight out of star wars, would the image be more like a legendary still from the movie (father/son showdown) or something like a starwars poster, where all sorts of different charatcters and scnes are just blended together and whatnot
(like this : http://www.suarakl.com/WP/Movies/Star%20Wars.jpg )

thnx

Old 10 October 2004   #33
is allowed to use web donwloaded textures?

Old 10 October 2004   #34
I have a couple of questions.......
first about prize does grand prize when ALL prizes unser it because right now runner up looks better than grandprize to me......

second if you are only alwoed on entry what happens is you suddenly change direction in your concept are you allowed to make a change to a different concept??????

yes I am in this one all the way......

Old 10 October 2004   #35
just thought i would add this link to give people a diiferent type of look at an 'iconic' image from a movie

http://ubb.empireonline.co.uk/showf...o=&fpart=4&vc=1

Old 10 October 2004   #36
Originally Posted by kraal: I have a couple of questions.......
first about prize does grand prize when ALL prizes unser it because right now runner up looks better than grandprize to me......

second if you are only alwoed on entry what happens is you suddenly change direction in your concept are you allowed to make a change to a different concept??????

yes I am in this one all the way......

Added answers to FAQ in first post. Thx.

Old 10 October 2004   #37
Question I can use any program

I can use any program?

I presume that not matter, but i want be sure.

what i can use in the process the postproduction? I can use ej: flares, first Plano, ect.

Old 10 October 2004   #38
not to bug you or anything, but could you put the link to the challenge website in the beginpost aswell. me and the stupid people keep losing it (and typing a whole new link is so hard :()

Old 10 October 2004   #39
Quote: Any problems if I do it with a student license of Maya?

If it is watermarked then yes; the entry may be included in Expose or other publications and a watermark would ruin it. Otherwise it should be ok unless winning prizes is considered commercial use by Alias.

Quote: One question is it ok to use vray for rendering.

Yes of course! Any 3d software, 3rd party plugins and renderers are valid as long as nothing uses canned or preset material.

Quote: Can the initial sketch be a 3D sketch as opposed to pencil and paper? Can't draw worth a sh*t I'm afraid.

Yes, this is fine; the sketch is supposed to show what you have in mind and where you are headed.

Quote: Whilk I know its ok to use 2d textures in this 3d project....is it going to be ok to use a 2d element as a back drop? IE like a background....like a mate painting

It's a little borderline but I'd imagine it to be ok as long as it's not some stock plate.

Quote: oones drawings/images are showing up to mein this forum!
i dun get it. ive never had this prob. with cgtalk!

Can you see the pics here?
entries
If the problem persists, please post in the support forum or contact Mibus

Quote: Lets pretend i was to do something straight out of star wars, would the image be more like a legendary still from the movie (father/son showdown) or something like a starwars poster, where all sorts of different charatcters and scnes are just blended together and whatnot

First of all: no Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar, Buck Rogers... only original worlds. If you just mean the style then a dramatic still is what we're after. Something that shows a snapshot of a civilisation at a grand scale. You mention the father/son showdown; this could be possible if the backdrop was immense enough but please consider that individuals are not the center of this challenge.

Quote: is allowed to use web donwloaded textures?

Yes, but they will have to be heavily modified. If stock textures are recognised there'll be a penalty by the community and the judges, consciously or unconsciously.

Wiro

Old 10 October 2004   #40
awesome theme!

I might enter, but i want to try a different appoarch than most people. the question is, can i use a game engine to render my 3D scene?

Old 10 October 2004   #41
One big "lesson learned" from the last contest is to remind everyone that the deadline is Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). I think this should be included in the FAQs.

Folks that thought they had a couple of hours left to upload their last picture were really surprise to find out that the deadline had past them by last time.

You should figure out what the last available hour is before you miss the deadline. For example, I live in California so my deadline would be January 17 at 4 P.M., instead of midnight! (GMT - 8 hours for Pacific Standard Time).

Better yet, don't wait 'till the last minute!

Old 10 October 2004   #42
Date of Entry

New here - just wondering if I can wait till Dec to enter? Won't have any time till then, but once Dec hits, I have all day every day...

:m

Old 10 October 2004   #43
1) Can moderators enter?

2) Wouldn't it be kind of hard to judge with such a broad theme? For example, one entrant did a beautiful epic space city, while another entrant did a beautiful group character portrait of heroes and villains. Both are instant classics of their given subject. How do you choose between the two if it's the ultimate space city vs. the ultimate space heroes? (and the smart artist knows what to do to avoid that problem. )

Old 10 October 2004   #44
How much postwork is allowed?

Old 10 October 2004   #45
Quote: How much postwork is allowed?
Anything goes

Quote: Can moderators enter?
Yes, but not the admins or jury.

Quote: Wouldn't it be kind of hard to judge with such a broad theme?
I guess we'll have to see but the main focus is "epic"...like I said above, individual characters are possible but there has to be a sense of grand scale to it (backdrop of huge spaceships, city, etc) so essentially the characters aren't the centerpiece but the overall scale is.

Quote: just wondering if I can wait till Dec to enter
Will have to get back to you about that. The point of the challenge is to show progression throughout the duration, not just in the end. I can understand your reasoning but other people might use the same excuse to hold back their designs for fear of leeching.

Quote: the deadline is Greenwich Mean Time

Thanks, I'll get Leo to update the FAQ. The main challenge site already states this though:
4. Submit your final entry by 17 January 2005 (GMT). Do not rush - get your entry in early.

Quote: can i use a game engine to render my 3D scene?
Sure, but consider that you're up against people who use all highpoly tools available to them. You might be limiting yourself.

Wiro

Last edited by Wiro : 10 October 2004 at 04:40 AM.

Thread Closed share thread