Grand Space Opera Challenge FAQ / Questions / Answers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by Leonard: The easiest is to think of book novel covers. Imagine that your image is going to be on a book cover - thus it needs to be iconic, be it characters amidst a backdrop of galactic conflict, or whatever...

Hi Leonard,

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking. I was concerned about something that Wiro said when he was answering someone else's question...
Originally Posted by Wiro: "...Something that shows a snapshot of a civilisation at a grand scale. You mention the father/son showdown; this could be possible if the backdrop was immense enough but please consider that individuals are not the center of this challenge."
So I thought I would ask just to clarify.

Thanks,
~Shane

10 October 2004
Sorry, I should have been clearer; It's fine to have characters in the piece but as opposed to the earlier challenges where the characters are focus and the backdrops more an afterthought, this time it's vice versa.

For example; in the shuttle bay picture, Darth isn't the focus (he almost disappears against the black of space, but the shuttle stands out brightly.
In the ship's bridge scene, the vanishing point and lines lead your eye towards the back and the whole bridge instead of to Vader.

Wiro

10 October 2004
Concept

Out of many of the related material that's been given, a very large part of their other-wordly concepts rely very heavily on the written word. Should we also do as much explaining as we can relating to the concept of our world/universe/existance while posting as well with the final image? As this could explain the past/future/present of this world that is not directly depicted in this scene and would also explain the events happening in the scene.

-OR-

Is the purpose to have the picture completely depict the entirety of the universe... in which case, would it be against the rulse to explain your concept in words?

Basically, would a good explenation behind the work assist in the judgement process?

Thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions, hopefully it's helping more than just those asking!

10 October 2004
how do I enter

I know it missed it somewhere, but how do I enter? I went to post in the 2d challnge thread and it said I do not have sufficient permission.

I think I found it but it gives me an error when i try to submit my screename and pword.

10 October 2004
I think the "a picture is worth 1000 words" concept is what is being asked for. It's been stated to think of this as a "book cover".

You don't put words explaining the cover on the cover, do you?

On another note: I'm strongly considering entering this. However, I'm not too sure I like the prospect of having to enter NOW. Am I reading the guidelines correctly?

My thought is that I would like to work up a proper concept sketch as time permits and upload it in a few weeks.

I look at this as a professional venture with a three month timeline. As a professional, I would never rush out the door with a sketch that may or may not be what is finalized.

Again, am I misreading the guidelines here.

Additionally, my 3D skills are a bit rusty as I haven't really used them in this type of endeavor in a few years. Maybe my lower confidence level is just trying to hide a bit here.

10 October 2004
Steve Newport:
A written backstory is not neccesary for the challenge, but...

out of personal opinion writing a history is a good idea even if it's only for yourself since it will help guide you through your design decisions and make the setting more believable.

Tarrbot:
it's ok not to submit stuff straight away; I imagine more people will join the challenge at later dates as word spreads so people will start at different times. What's a bit a grey area is when people submit all their milestones within the last weeks. That should be avoided since community interaction is also important.

webshot:
You went to the wrong link (that one's for when you've already registered and submitting the pics)
Go to Enter The Challenge

Wiro

10 October 2004
Thanks, Wiro. I assumed as much but from the posts here it seemed as if I had to do it now.

I still need to design some things first before I even make up my mind to enter. Most of the stuff I have in mind I've had *in mind* for years but not sketched out.

Truth be told, I started on this scenario about 3 years ago but it kind of fell by the wayside. I'd say now is the perfect time for it to be picked up again... regardless of whether I enter or not.

10 October 2004
Arrr......can somebody me help me...i hope leonard will see this post.
- i have accidently entered wrong information for the Grand Space Opera Challenge Entry.
I am from Malaysia actually, but when i check back my entry details, i found that my country is maldives. .. so, what sholud i do? can i change it?

10 October 2004
Hiya Leonard,

My question is, I am heavily involved in the Aegis project. The Universe created there is a collaboration but original (Dene of Terror....Founder). I would like to do a piece using original designs for the project that I have developed....IS THIS A PROBLEM?? If so I will go for something more original for me. I do not want to get disqualified Any feedback would be appriciated... I shall leave it up to you, my peer's.

Regards Mark

I create therefore I am....

MY WEBSITE

EON Challenge
GOON WORLD Project
SERVICEBAY12

10 October 2004
Hi guys i need help as i can understand now wich i did not do before (or maby i am totaly wrong) is that we have to uppload the concept art and rest of modeling on CG server is that so? i have not done that now all my sketches and modeling are uploaded on my own server so if this is not ok what should i do now and where do i have to upload my images.

And what does milestone mean?

Sorry if i am repeating any question but i dont think so i read them all.

---::::My website::::---
http://www.3dstation.se

10 October 2004
Hmmm........... searched a little moore and i found the answer, so now what do i have to do with my images that has already been uploaded on my server should a do a double upload in the challenge submition page.

Please help me

And again sorry

---::::My website::::---
http://www.3dstation.se

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by linda: Hmmm........... searched a little moore and i found the answer, so now what do i have to do with my images that has already been uploaded on my server should a do a double upload in the challenge submition page.

Please help me

And again sorry

I answered in your thread... You can dele images from your server if you will and up-load all images again via the challenge submit entry... you are not the only one linda

jdd

Effectred. Creative Studio
www.effectred.com

10 October 2004
q? what about the entire thing toon shaded will that qualify? and does it have to realistic like say its for a live action movie.. or can i use those mythological styles where characters are as tall as planets!!??

10 October 2004
Quote: It's already in the FAQ - check the 1st post in this thread.
Oh ok sorry bout that.

10 October 2004
Does the topic "Grand Space Opera" include alien planets. For example, If i was going to create an image that was taking place on an alien planet, as opposed to taking place in outer space. Is that the same?

Thread Closed share thread