Grand Space Opera 3D Entry: Paul Gulianelli

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
hi everyone.. thanks alot for your comments..

@ Fahrija: thanks for comments and suggestions..

your absolutely right about background planet and some more buildings..
i'll consider it making new sketch as well as some drifting stuff.. thanks..

your right again about usefulness of sketching.. i know that but i preffer to use sketches of really skilled 2D artists instead of mine's..
for instance i wouldn't mind to use your sketches as an initial level for my work..

@ terraarc: thanks for the coment.. i also agree with Fahrija and also don't know how to fill the space..

@ ||) |V| |^|: thanks mate.. i still remeber your advice about cocpit view and this idea with reflected eyes just makes it even better.. but currently i don't know what concept exactly i'll use.. i'm going to change the whole idea.. the all further development depends on it i think..

@ overcontrast: thanks for comment and support man.. very appreciated.. the best of luck you too!

@ dahiya: thank you for constant comments, support and good points mate.. btw i've changed the Nike-like logo so i'll post new version in the nearest future.. your crit as always is more then welcome..

@ painkiller: hehe.. thanks for compliment.. we'll see.. at first i need at least to create some appropriable concept idea and sketches to create something valuable..

well.. thanks a lot guys for your comments, crits, suggestions and words of encouragement.. i appreciate a lot your contribution and i'm very grateful to you for that..

cheers and best of luck to all of you..

11 November 2004
The main scene compo is very nice.The angle gives great perspective and a wide scope.......I like the foreground ship/vessel very much,I think high end detail for this praticular ship is a must,and as for the background I like the wide open expanse and the architecture fits in well there.giving the eye more to focus on without cluttering.....................looking real good paul.....Keep it coming......

11 November 2004
@ Virtuoso: thanks Michael.. i'm very glad you like the composition..

but honestly i'm quite confused.. i totally don't like my old idea and at the same time i don't have any suitable other.. i'm afraid that i have to spend a lot of time sketching and trying to invent some proper idea.. though it definitely will help to improve 2D skills a lot..

thank you a lot Michael for your comments and encouragement.. this support is hard to overestimate..

the best of luck and cheers..

11 November 2004
It has been said before...but I love the dynamiks in your composition...the sense of movement is very well done with the dutch camera tilt and the widescreen...this is going to be a great image..keep going my friend....

11 November 2004
@ essencedesign: thanks a lot Jeremy for encouragement and support.. i'm very grateful..

cheers my friend..

11 November 2004
Quote: Originally posted by GreenTek

but honestly i'm quite confused.. i totally don't like my old idea and at the same time i don't have any suitable other.. i'm afraid that i have to spend a lot of time sketching and trying to invent some proper idea.. though it definitely will help to improve 2D skills a lot..

i understand man. I guess the best thing to do is to do a scene you can really feel for and love doing, even if it's something boring or common. My concept is essentially a rip-off of ghost in the shell, but i just love doing these kind of civilisations and stuff, so I'm happy I guess. Hope to have helped with your problem...

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: The Logo (edited)

While thinking about new concept I've edited the logo considering great point form 'dahiya'.. Also I made original image larger so you can click on the picture to see full size version..

Cheers..

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by keetmun: i understand man. I guess the best thing to do is to do a scene you can really feel for and love doing, even if it's something boring or common. My concept is essentially a rip-off of ghost in the shell, but i just love doing these kind of civilisations and stuff, so I'm happy I guess. Hope to have helped with your problem...

yeah.. your absolutely right.. i don't feel like i'm doing right stuff.. it's not expressive enough.. i mean it doesn't reflects the feeling i'm trying to express..

thanks for assuring this and constant c&c.. i appreciate it a lot..

cheers..

11 November 2004
Like your new concepts and especially the logo (then again, I'm into that type of design work).

Don't worry too much about whether your doing it right or not; just do what you want or what you think is unique. As far as originality is concerned, that a hard issue since "true" originality is nearly non-existant anymore (I'm sure my story concept that I'm doing has been done before in some form or another, although I honestly have no idea where ).
Just do what you think is best is all I can think of.

11 November 2004
Originally Posted by ArtisticVisions: Like your new concepts and especially the logo (then again, I'm into that type of design work).

Don't worry too much about whether your doing it right or not; just do what you want or what you think is unique. As far as originality is concerned, that a hard issue since "true" originality is nearly non-existant anymore (I'm sure my story concept that I'm doing has been done before in some form or another, although I honestly have no idea where ).
Just do what you think is best is all I can think of.
thank you very much Jason.. your words of encouragement really help a lot..

honestly the problem is that i don't know what is the best.. the only one thing i'm sure about is that i won't participate in the challenge if i have nothing to tell through my work.. more exactly i know what to tell but right now i don't know HOW to tell it..

the last thing i want is if people looking at my work will start to discuss how cool textured it is how proper is lighting setup instead of trying to understand whats going on in the composition and getting some impression from the picture..

i've decided to withdraw my idea of making scene in the open space.. it's very simple and ordinary.. i'm going to use some mix of sci-fi and fantasy.. some kind of tech and magic.. well.. we'll see.. i don't know exactly at the moment..

well thanks again Jason for your interest in my work.. i'm very grateful..

cheers..

11 November 2004
I say ..keep it and start from somewhere and let yourself express through it. That i think for u will be greater challenge....waiting

11 November 2004
wow.. i'm extremely glad to see your comment Dimitris.. thank you a lot.. your participation is very appriciated.. catching possibility i want to express my deep respect and have to say that you are an exeptional artist..
most impressive are your designs.. they are perfect.. your bike for the Game Icon is fantastic..

well.. definitely great point and wise advice Dimitris.. and the best solution i think because at the moment i'm really in the creative vacuum.. a ton of thanks for such comment.. i'm ready for that challenge..

now i'm thinking how to celebrate you comment.. all the more it looks like quote from the Old Testament.. "I, your Lord, say......" j/k

thanks again Dimitris for great advice and support!

and of course cheers with good red wine..

11 November 2004
the latests concepts are great... very space opera =)

11 November 2004
many Concept ...........................
Where Do u Want To Start Men ?

11 November 2004
@ vrhead: thanks a lot man for comment and encouragement..

@ visualact.com:
Quote: many Concept ...........................
Where Do u Want To Start Men ?

LOL.. virtually i've started from the very first day after submitting.. i think that working on the concept is most important stage in the creative process..

my plan is:
30 days for concept and composition;
30 day for modeling and texturing;
and 30 for lighting and polishing..

i already made half of the space ship, logo for the civilization and some test textures..
i'm going to change my first idea/concept but i still will use some parts of it..
i have general idea in my mind but i can't sort it yet.. i mean i still can't assign concrete tasks for all events i'm going include in the scene..

thank you very much for your comment and interest.. really very appreciated..

best of luck and cheers..

Thread Closed share thread