Grand Space Opera Challenge FAQ / Questions / Answers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Just wonder if this is ok with criteria:

actually i'm sick of those typical space scenes
(well, of course some of those are really master
pice, like some in star wars).
I have an idea to put giant baby (with preety happy face)
on the planet or outerspace, and all of that in the middle
of space battle. Baby actually doesn't understand that that
is a battlefield and, happy cause something is happening
just smashes one of the battlecruiser, or ship ...

this is NOT "realistic" concept, but i think that it sends really good message, don't u ?

Best regards,
Ivan

10 October 2004
Cool

Originally Posted by Leonard: While technically you could, for your own sanity I would advise you to go for one and stick with it all the way. You've got three months to do this Challenge, so think about it first, make a decision and as the Nike slogan says "Just Do It"

Well, I preffer to work in hybrid anyway. Is 2D painting with some 3D modelled elements allowed? Or painted-over 3D? 3D rearranged in a paint program to look completely different?

Ah, academic regardless. I won't be able to make it in either, lacking not only time, but modelling skill or 2D paint experience. I could make a killer pencil sketch tho, or watercolour. Hey... wait... does this thing HAVE to be made on a COMPUTER

/Z

10 October 2004
Unhappy ...qiuck question

since i don't speak english very well , a question is rumbling in my head...

... does there have to be a battle goin' on ... ???

10 October 2004
Is the use of DEM data as base for a terrain allowed if it gets modified alot afterwards ?

Sven

10 October 2004
i guess it's the same question i asked 2 pages before...
and you get the answer on the previous page : "no prefrabricated models" as the mods said

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by cipher:
Originally Posted by EvilE: Is the use of DEM data as base for a terrain allowed if it gets modified alot afterwards ?

i guess it's the same question i asked 2 pages before...
and you get the answer on the previous page : "no prefrabricated models" as the mods said

I can see where you're coming from, but ... really?

First, is DEM a prefrabricated model? I can convert it to TIFF and use it as a heightfield in Cinema (or Rhino or any other program) or as a terrain pic/heightfield in Bryce. So, are all heightfields banned?

Also, somehow I don't think that parts of the Earth are prefabricated models, not like Poser people are.

Second, the guy said "a base for a terrain". So, if he paints on it in Photoshop, blurs, sharpens, makes a mosaic, or does that in the Terrain Editor in Bryce ... how's that different from the downloaded texture rule?

Third, my own question. I intend to use Mojoworld or Bryce to create the landscape with the models incorporated into the scene or composited later in Photoshop. Any objections to landscape generators?

10 October 2004
Hi

I'd like to know if I can use a maping of earth I got from nasa http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/

Thx

Master & Servant

my site

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by arsa3d: I have an idea to put giant baby (with preety happy face)
on the planet or outerspace, and all of that in the middle
of space battle. Baby actually doesn't understand that that
is a battlefield and, happy cause something is happening
just smashes one of the battlecruiser, or ship ...

Personally I don't think that fits into the Space Opera theme at all. This isn't a challenge about making statements, it's a challenge about creating drama, adventure, excitement and intrigue using huge structures and scenes of action, etc. Besides, the baby thing was done in 2001: A Space Odyssee.

Originally Posted by Master Zap: Well, I preffer to work in hybrid anyway. Is 2D painting with some 3D modelled elements allowed? Or painted-over 3D? 3D rearranged in a paint program to look completely different?

Please decide which one to go for and stick with it... I'll need Leonard to confirm this, but personally I'd say that if you're going the 2D route then you should paint it from scratch.

EvilE - please make everything on your own, model-wise.

arlutik - for texture purposes, I guess you can use stuff like that.

10 October 2004
Whew!

Man, I just read what was posted so far - you guys definately opened a can of worms! Judging will be interesting.

-Fusion Art, I think you should consider not only the battle; think about before or after the battle.

10 October 2004
THX Leigh

Love your new avatar

I'm going for a space galactic anti-gravity soccer stadium does that suit the theme

Master & Servant

my site

10 October 2004
Cool Hmm

Quote: Please decide which one to go for and stick with it... I'll need Leonard to confirm this, but personally I'd say that if you're going the 2D route then you should paint it from scratch

Then I call it a 3D entry and proclaim all my paint job to be "post work", since you already said "anytihing goes" in post.

/Z

10 October 2004
Thumbs down 2d with 3d elements?

I'm in the 2d challenge, but I use a lot of modelling either for visualization or actual starting points for digital painting. I also use photography (and traditional media) in my works. Basically I work a lot like Rick Berry or Dave McKean - hopefully with a different look. Am I still in the 2d realm here? Where is the line?

10 October 2004
Hello there

I'd just like to know if there's a deadline for entering the challlenge.
Also any suggestions on the latest date one should enter by

Thanks
--JC

10 October 2004
I feel before I continue with the concept stage I think I'd better know what exactly is necessary to have in the final composition.

Do we need one of the fololowing? Space ship or ships and or Epic Scale buildings? Does it have to take place in outerspace?

Can it take place on a planet with none of the above?

Sorry this thread is getting large and I was too lazy to read the eniter thing.

10 October 2004
Hiya all.. I was wondering something.. Is it allowed to use something like, say, TerraGen to make a landscape to use as a background for one's 3D still? Or do you have to model the landscape yourself in 3D package of choice? Thanks!
Erased, Extinct.

Thread Closed share thread