Grand Space Opera Challenge FAQ / Questions / Answers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by DimitrisLiatsos: With the danger to sound a little stupid ....i would like to ask a simple question.

In instructions u say Size of fin image 2657 pixes and/or 3636 high...i am sorry but this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...? or not? ...yes i know stupid but please help me get out of this thought

thanks

Yes.....it's very precise for a 'guideline'. I'm going to say, for landscape, 2657 wide, then, err, whatever you want for height?? I'd like to work at 2657 x 1130 (2.35:1), and presumably I can, as there is no guideline for proportions listed.

Julian.

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by cipher: One little question :

I have the idea of making a crowd in my image, but for some people we're only gonna see their back . Can i use poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene ) or should i model one complete character, duplicate it and make some tweaks (texture colors, pose...) to make them different ??

Cipher

Curious about this as well... But I think it's ok. Anyone knows for sure??

10 October 2004
I'm no mod or admin but I'm sure this won't be allowed,no matter how zoomed out they are.

Plus,when you think of it,the more zoomed out you are,the less work you'll have to put on them so poser would be an overkill.

10 October 2004
Smile W.i.p ??

hi guys, i am wondering, how should i show my W.I.P? and where?

10 October 2004
Tommy:

3. Pre-fabricated models are not allowed to be used. These include parametric models generated from Poser or Daz3D

10 October 2004
One quesion:

because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?

I am thinking of including a space fight scene with lots of spaceships, and that poses a problem in hardware capability and render times.

Thank you for you help.

Best regards.

10 October 2004
how i can get out of this challenge?

10 October 2004
is there a way to delete sketches that I've already submitted?

10 October 2004
Quote: A guideline is 2657 pixels wide and/or 3636 high, 300 DPI
So assume it can also be 2657 high and 3636 wide...

10 October 2004
Quote: Can i use poser to make different people (because they will not be the main purpose of the scene )
No prefabs, if your characters are tiny it won't take you much effort to model some lowpoly humans.

Quote: How do I actually enter the 3d competition
Go to the challenge site here and then to Enter The Challenge
upload your pictures through the challenge site submission ("Submit Your Entry")

Quote: do I tag every concept sketch uploaded as a milestone, or just THE final concept sketch.
I'll have to check with Leo but I don't think there is any problem uploading all pics through the challenge site and tagging them accordingly, final or not.

Quote: Ouch... this means that we can't reproduce Planet Earth...
The idea is to show space, expansion and colonisation in a grand scale so keeping it away from earth would be a good idea.

Quote: this means that i can do a landscape portrait 3500 wide and 2500 high...?
Yes, the guidelines are for the largest possible Expose print (Leo please correct me if I'm wrong); landscape in 3636*X or portrait X*2657 but slightly smaller or larger is fine too.

Quote: So assume it can also be 2657 high and 3636 wide...
It's already in the FAQ - check the 1st post in this thread.

Quote: because of hardware limitations, is it ok to render a part and use it as a background, or render in "layers" and composite it all togueder later?
All post trickery is allowed

Quote: how i can get out of this challenge?
Just stop submitting. If you want your thread removed, please PM Mibus

Quote: is there a way to delete sketches that I've already submitted?
Not sure about this; again please PM Mibus

Quote: Can I have multiple entries.
No. As stated in the guidelines, no multiple entries although it's possible to enter both the 2D and 3D challenges as long as the two are vastly different in concept.

Wiro

Last edited by Leonard : 10 October 2004 at 08:45 PM.

10 October 2004
hay

whos looks best so far as in the idea / concept ?

10 October 2004
CgGoth... umm isn't a little early to be naming any "best" entries? I certainly wouldn't try and guess right now...

10 October 2004
stoopid question...

granting this is an "epic" scene, I'm curious if a collage of scenes/characters/ships/planets etc. is allowed? I was interpeting "epic" to read as more of the scope of opera instead of the literal scene.

I'm concerned that if it is limited to a particular scene we're going to end up with a ton of gigantic space battles and very little human/character interest...

Thanks,
~Shane

10 October 2004
Originally Posted by Oregano: granting this is an "epic" scene, I'm curious if a collage of scenes/characters/ships/planets etc. is allowed? I was interpeting "epic" to read as more of the scope of opera instead of the literal scene.

I'm concerned that if it is limited to a particular scene we're going to end up with a ton of gigantic space battles and very little human/character interest...

Thanks,
~Shane

If you think that human/character interest adds to the scene, then do it. There's no reason why it needs to be one or the other. I'd even lean towards ensuring that there are some characters to give your work sense of scale and human/character interest (like you said).

The easiest is to think of book novel covers. Imagine that your image is going to be on a book cover - thus it needs to be iconic, be it characters amidst a backdrop of galactic conflict, or whatever...

use your creative juices!

E.g. Ralph Mcquarrie's work - note how the characters are still the focus of the scene, but it is put amidst a backdrop and genre that fits the Space Opera theme.

Thread Closed share thread