Feature requests for modo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

09 September 2004
I would love to see a better vertex rounding algorithm like the one that is now in LW8 (was Rounder plug). http://fusion.laffeycomputer.com/round.jpg

If there is omse way to achieve this in Modo please let me know. I tried vertex bevel and then edge bevel. But the look is much more angular and less chamfered.

09 September 2004
I am not sure if this is a feature request or a bug. But I cannot see the effect of Show Falloffs when the falloff mode is set to airbrush.

This is the mode when the visual display would be MOST useful!

09 September 2004
I did not want to add another thread just for one question, so am asking here....

I see that modo is capable to change GUI very efficiently.... but there is something I was wondering and have not seen on the screen shots posted yet.... Is there any way to built your own menu, vertical menu bar or whatever you call it, as we do in LW...to clearify it, as an example....

There are some tools or modifiers that I use all the time in LW and I put their buttons together on a classical vertical LW menu bar.

Can we pick up the tools or modifiers, one by one from the windows and built just one window that has only things that we want it to have in Modo? Like...having a window with create box tool (no other primitive) next to some edge tools and vertex tools and that we pick....

I also saw that => Basic - Deform - Duplicate - Mesh Edit - ... - Curves tabs are together, can we make them as seperate windows ( I never use bezier things, so I would love to get rid of them) or as in the screen shots, they are always in group ?

This one looks different thou http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?...56&postcount=25 i think this one mimics LW....anyway can we change the order of the buttons, or rearrange or remove them ?

09 September 2004
all of you are asking and more are possible. pull down or vertical or horizantal, or pie, or flying menus, popups etc.

just look at this post,
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=171693
you can even have image views for refrence images,

modo is actually one empty window, you just fill it in, think about html tables for example

09 September 2004
The picture in the post that you pointed out does not answer my question, I checked it out but it looks like you can drag windows, put them in to different types or shapes, but you can't break the groups. Thanks anyway...

Can you post a screen shot which shows a customized window.... make a new window and add just 3 icons.... Sphere primitive, edge cut (or slice) and vertex bevel.

09 September 2004
that is what it is showing, that you can break the groups, all those things you see in modo are different forms. basically you can delete all those side bard upper bars windows, and put all in one floating window, and just keep full 3d view, and when you need you would call that window through a shortcut, then it would popup rightaway.
i made a simple one, because to be able to do what you want, you need to design the "form" to be able to call it in any window

you first design them in forms editor, name them, add functions basically you program every icon function there, and you name it, and you then call it in any window (floating, or fixed)

just you know, this window gorup i did is sitting on top of myu original alyout which is not shown here. so i did not delete my original, i just maximized this wondow to get screenshopt, but just think about possibilities

Last edited by kursad_pileksuz : 09 September 2004 at 05:38 AM.

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by joelaff: I would love to see a better vertex rounding algorithm like the one that is now in LW8 (was Rounder plug). http://fusion.laffeycomputer.com/round.jpg

If there is omse way to achieve this in Modo please let me know. I tried vertex bevel and then edge bevel. But the look is much more angular and less chamfered.

You can do this easily in Modo, example for a cube:
1. select the point(s) (vertice(s)) where you want to round
2. press "b" (bevel) drag the mousse.
3. Want more steps? Repeat number 2 (vertices are already selected)

You may want to create some presets macros for the most use configuration and assign them to a shortcut (thx to the GREAT macros system!)

To Brad or anyone from the Modo team: antioverlapping bevel ans shift is not currently implement in LightWave (I hope you are not looking after LW to implement new features!), but there is this nice tool avaibles separatly wich does it very well, Bevel++ ($30, it's cheap too) :

http://www.wagglydog.com/lw/bevelpp/

One GREAT feature of this tool is you can design complex bevel profiles (with a spline system), save them as presets and then re-apply them later. Imagine the power of this for Logo creation or mechanic modelling... And the profiles can be applied AND scaled/stretches interactively to match the new geometry!

Last edited by Sha_Man : 09 September 2004 at 07:19 AM.

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by tayse: The picture in the post that you pointed out does not answer my question, I checked it out but it looks like you can drag windows, put them in to different types or shapes, but you can't break the groups. Thanks anyway...

Can you post a screen shot which shows a customized window.... make a new window and add just 3 icons.... Sphere primitive, edge cut (or slice) and vertex bevel.

Sure. Use the Form Editor to create a new form. You can drag and drop controls from other forms into the new form (using ctrl while dragging to copy instead of moving), or just add controls directly by adding commands. After you click the X column on for the form, you can go make that form visible in any Forms Viewport using the Viewport Settings submenu from the right hand popup widget next to the viewport title (it'll make sense when you look at it).

Here's the config file section that generated that:

-- Joe

09 September 2004
again, a new feature list in missing commands:

-bridge like tool (to connect polygons)
-CO-planar polygons reduction (very usefull, and we always use it in our firm to clean the imported 3ds files)
-points reduction (as important as the above)
-snapping tools are good, but not as flexible as it should b, the better way to implement it is, to let the user have control on the snapping mode for all the available methodes when he is in any selkection mode, example:

if i'm in edge selection, i can put the geometry snapping mode to automatic, even if i'm in edge selection, i can drage the selected object, and make it snapp to the vertex, edge or polygon of the other objects.
Currently the snapping is dependent on the selection mode, so if i'm in vertex mode, using the automatic snapping mode, i can just snapp to vertex, if i'm in edge i can snap to edge.....
and this is not handy as the above workflow.

09 September 2004
Originally Posted by Chrischan: can someone reproduce the following problem on his computer (i tried it on two pc's and a mac)?

get some kind of object which is symmetrically and turn on symmetry in x axis.
now activate the soft drag tool and move some points on the positive x axis ...
the point movement is inverted .. if you move your mouse to the left the points move to the right and vice versa ..

Originally Posted by kursad_pilekzus: that is bug that was reported before, you can hope that it will be fixed in the next version. this happens when symmetry is active.some tools will work on right side some on left, it is annoying unfortunately.

the strange thing is that it also sometimes happens in the "element move" tool.
it suddenly happens on a certain point ... then when moving this point around a while suddenly this effect is gone and everything works normal.
maybe someone at luxology could take a look at this also ...

09 September 2004
[QUOTE=Sha_Man]You can do this easily in Modo, example for a cube:
1. select the point(s) (vertice(s)) where you want to round
2. press "b" (bevel) drag the mousse.
3. Want more steps? Repeat number 2 (vertices are already selected)

I am unable to produce a vertex rounding like the one in my link.

I can bevel once and then twice, but after that it is not producing useable results. In other words, I can do steps 1,2,2. But if I do it again the bevel is not the same as the link. Look at how the side face of the cube in the link image are rounded.

09 September 2004
thanks jangell and kursad....

09 September 2004
Pressure Sensitiv for wacom. Think of doing a scetchextrude with pressure sensitiv. So you may have option for size-pressure, density pressure like that. That might be great.

Possibilty to draw a scetchextrude in free space, so when you beginn to draw it will create a poly and starts extruding it (in combination with the pressure of your pen you can create a baseshape in seconds)

09 September 2004
I'd like the fact that you can change to Subdiv mode (tab) in subcomponent mode (with faces highlighted for example). Now only the parts selection are converted to Subdiv. Like in LW, you have to deselect to be able to see the smoothed one.
It would be faster for the workflow is this feature is possible. Maybe make it an option that users can choose in the preferences.

In XSI I could view a smooth version even with selections on...

---

Maybe an option where you can choose how you view around your scene. I like the Maya style thingy, but the camera doesn't rotate like Maya, Max or XSI, but like Lightwave... I hope u know what I mean.

EDIT: This is POSSIBLE in MODO. Just found out. Under the little button next to viewport choice button there is an option called "trackball rotation".
Now we are talking.

---

A simple one:
Marquee select would also be a nice addition.

Last edited by CoolDuck_HRO : 09 September 2004 at 09:38 PM.

09 September 2004

1) LW Style Edgebevel , I dont want 3 vertices poly every where , see pic...
2) Show-Hide menus like LW3D's Alt+F2 function for a bigger quad viewports space, or Zbrush style one click show-hide left-right panels.
I know we can do this with extra UI Layout presets but I prefer Zbrush style.
3) Smooth-flat shade view for the object , Flat shade view in normal mode , when turn sub-d mode get smooth view like a LW3D's "Textured Wire" mode.
4) AlignToRails function for the "Curve Extrude" tool.

Thanks to developers .

reply share thread